Looking for small 19" or 20" LCD monitor for bedroom HD

dankgus

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 3, 2004
I need a LCD panel with DVI input, that is capable of at least 1280x1024. Is anybody aware of a GREAT deal on such a monitor? On my PC I am using a 19" Sharp LCD that I really like, but it is only analog input not DVI.

Any tips are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
--Dan

dankgus said:
I need a LCD panel with DVI input, that is capable of at least 1280x1024. Is anybody aware of a GREAT deal on such a monitor? On my PC I am using a 19" Sharp LCD that I really like, but it is only analog input not DVI.

Any tips are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
--Dan

There are not much out there in the way of "deals" unless you find someone who stole it or REALLY needs the money. Like you I have been looking for the same thing and
this is the best thing I have seen yet.

Ideally I want a 21" wide-screen HDTV display with the ATSC OTA tuners built in and of course I want it for about $700 ... it'll be a couple of years for me.

Here but alas no DVI either. Really we are both looking at something that there is no good deal on and wont be for a couple of years.

The Dell 19" LCD TV is actually really nice. It doesn't have the DVI Input (well it does, but it's only for PC use), but I can tell you from experience the HD picture looks great through the component inputs. It's been rated very highly, and it comes with more cables then you will know what to do with. For the price, I think it's one of the better bedroom TV's you can get.

I would like to have one that's slightly bigger, but we are limited on space in the bedroom at our current house. It's more than adequate.

HeavyC said:
The Dell 19" LCD TV is actually really nice. It doesn't have the DVI Input (well it does, but it's only for PC use), but I can tell you from experience the HD picture looks great through the component inputs. It's been rated very highly, and it comes with more cables then you will know what to do with. For the price, I think it's one of the better bedroom TV's you can get.

I would like to have one that's slightly bigger, but we are limited on space in the bedroom at our current house. It's more than adequate.

Why only for PC use? Is it because it isn't HDCP enabled? I see Gefen makes a neat DVI splitter that has 1 HDCP port and 1 that is not, the way they market it, it appears to be designed so that a guy can hook up his HDCP TV and also a non HDCP monitor. Sweet.

DVI is so cool, they make extenders that use CAT-5 so you can run DVi for 150 feet over cat5.

I also notice that sharp 20" "HDTV" linked to above is not even capable of 720p, the native res is too low. Makes you wonder how they can claim HDTV.

--Dan

You hit the mail on the head ... not HDCP-compliant. the Sharp should be HDTV ... but only at 720p, these are some of the hottest displays going (from what I have read) and I guess 720p is only EDTV. Good point.

I wish you luck! If I could do it for 500.00 I would have the LCD that is on my PC in my room on the much hated Hughes E86 :yes

slacker9876 said:
and I guess 720p is only EDTV. Good point.

I do consider 720p to be high def, but some of the displays marketed as HDTV only have native resolutions of 1024x768. If 720p is 1280x720, how could a 1024 pixel wide display possibly be HDTV? Thats what I was saying.

I think any display with a native res of 1024x768 should be called an EDTV and not an HDTV.

--Dan

Just a quick clarification, the Dell W1900 (19" LCD TV) does have DVI. It can support either a TV signal or computer signal. It is configured in the menu of the TV.

slacker9876 said:
There are not much out there in the way of "deals" unless you find someone who stole it or REALLY needs the money.

You should check out your local Craigslist. If you keep looking long enough you'll find the hot deal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts