Looking for some guidence Receiver poll

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

melbfla

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Dec 6, 2006
Hello everyone . I am looking to get a HD box Christmas present to myself. The members that own both the Openbox and the Manhattan which one would you recommend and also who is a reliable dealer if you guys would be so kind. I have a Fortec 36" dish motorized universal lnb and using a Fortec lifetime classic .
Thanks to everyone in advance.

Yea, what he said.

I own one of each. The Manhattan is the better of the two.

They have their software up to a good working level in half the time we waited for improvements from China on the OpenBox.

looked at the specs for the manhattan. video output. i could only see hdmi but i need either component out or yellow/white/red video out. no spdif sound input on my tv. i do like my openbox with those video and sound outputs. charlie

looked at the specs for the manhattan. video output. i could only see hdmi but i need either component out or yellow/white/red video out. no spdif sound input on my tv. i do like my openbox with those video and sound outputs. charlie
The Manhattan has HDMI, component, and composite video outputs. I have a hard time not having all the choices, myself. :) Pic is on their webpage, Manhattan-Digital: Home Page .

Check the link brentb posted, download the manual. It has component and digital sound out. Two things I also require from a receiver to match my high end but getting old system here.

Tron I am also about to purchase another receiver and had it down to the Openbox or the Manhattan. Why would you recommend the microHD over the others?

Thanks for your help!

Steve

The main reason is prior experience with a receiver that SatelliteAV molded into a great hobbyist receiver... The Visionsat IV-200. They worked with the firmware of this box until it became one of the best (if not the best) SD MPEG-2 receivers for North American hobbyists.

It really makes a difference when the developer of the hardware and software caters to the North American FTA viewer. The Openbox, while a great receiver for the money, still has many bugs and issues that could probably be easily fixed if it weren't for the fact that the coders are based in China and seem to be more interested in European issues than the ones that affect us here in the States.

So the Europeans don't have issues with the Openbox since the Chinese coders are focused on them? Seems to me the expiration date on this receiver has almost been reached, within the next few months we maybe won't hear about it ever again. It's a Yugo, the fenders are designed to fall off.

I just noticed that the microHD has no front panel buttons or display which is a deal breaker for me. Looks like I will be going with the Manhattan. Steve

What do you need that for?
Are you going to be reading a 3/4" 4 digit display across the room when you can look at your 50" tv screen that has everything displayed on it.

All you need on the front panel is an on/off indicator light.

If someone wants a good receiver today, or by Christmas, buy the Manhattan.
It is here now, and already well tested and some upgrades released.
When the Micro comes out early 2012 you will have another choice in this category of receiver.

Last edited:
Are you going to be reading a 3/4" 4 digit display across the room when you can look at your 50" tv screen that has everything displayed on it.

If someone wants a good receiver today, or by Christmas, buy the Manhattan.
It is here now, and already well tested and some upgrades released.
When the Micro comes out early 2012 you will have another choice in this category of receiver.

Why scramble around in the dark for your remote to see the time and/or channel when you can simply look at the STB? If your remote dies or gets lost what can you do with a box that has no buttons?

The manufactures wouldn't add these features if nobody used them. To be honest when I see any consumer electronics with no buttons or display it appears that someone is trying to cut costs at the expense of user convenience.

Either way I appreciate the feedback.

Steve

I have an Openbox, and it has served me well. However, there are persistent bugs/missing features that we'd all like to see corrected or added, but it never happens. For example, what good is a clock display when the @#%@#$ clock doesn't work! I'm not complaining... It's a $100-$125 box, and it does what it is supposed to do. The price point of the upcoming microPVR, however, makes it very attractive when compared to the Openbox. This is assuming that it is released as a fully functional and reasonably bug-free device, which I trust it will be given the developer.

Not trying to put any pressure on SatelliteAV here :D ;) ...

Agree 100%. I've always wondered why any modern products totally relying on a remote for their use bother with these redundancies. If you've lost the remote, the product is useless anyway. If removing the display/buttons from the front panel saves $, do it. Basic minimum features for any new receiver you buy in 2011 should include: DVB-S2, HD, PVR. Why buy less for a new box when these are all standard now and will be required more and more?

"At this point, I'd wait for the new microHD receiver from SatelliteAV."

Might be the sagest advice in this thread. YMMV

Have anyone have heard any news on this new HD/DVB-S2 box from satAV?? Recently I lost one of my S9 Openboxes and really impressed me the poor quality of components inside once I open it. For a year or more box I was shock to see rusted parts/ screws everywhere. So I will wait a little to see this box. I have read good comments on SatAV support on previous models.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)