Looking for tips adding Voom.. (after E* and D*)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

cdelena

Original poster
May 23, 2004
Dallas, Texas
It seems that I did not ask enough questions before I dropped Dish and picked up Direct just last week. I wanted to get the HD Tivo (which I am very happy with) but my wife and I are appalled at the SD PQ and will not watch much of the feeds that are so soft they border on blurry. The little bit of HD is great and the OTA digital channels are fine.

So we are considering reducing the Direct feeds to the minimum to keep HD and the Tivo and adding Voom even though I won’t be able to use the Tivo on that content.

Since I did not ask enough to fully comprehend what I was getting and missing on the last change, I want to hear any comments on this one.

If your asking if SD looks better on V* vs D* or E* I would say the quality is close enough on any of them that it wouldn't matter enough to argue over.

V* is all about HD as I'm sure your already aware. The V* DVR obviously can't get released soon enough for many of us. Theres still a considerable wait ahead.

What content of V* do you want? Are you not locked into a year with D* since you just signed up?

Mr. Biggles said:
If your asking if SD looks better on V* vs D* or E* I would say the quality is close enough on any of them that it wouldn't matter enough to argue over.

Obviously you have not been able to do a comparison on the same equipment in a short period of time. D* looks terrible compared to E* which is one reason I am looking at adding V*.

Mr. Biggles said:
What content of V* do you want? Are you not locked into a year with D* since you just signed up?

I will manage with content (and adjust), but am attracted to V* HD and packaging. I plan on keeping D* and the Tivo so the year term is not an issue.

I don’t really know what I don’t know, that is why I am asking. Your comment regarding all SD looking the same is an example of the what I don't need, I learned the hard way that is not true; D* does more compression and is inferior in PQ. I am just trying to avoid more hard lessons.

cdelena said:
Obviously you have not been able to do a comparison on the same equipment in a short period of time. D* looks terrible compared to E* which is one reason I am looking at adding V*.

I will manage with content (and adjust), but am attracted to V* HD and packaging. I plan on keeping D* and the Tivo so the year term is not an issue.

I don’t really know what I don’t know, that is why I am asking. Your comment regarding all SD looking the same is an example of the what I don't need, I learned the hard way that is not true; D* does more compression and is inferior in PQ. I am just trying to avoid more hard lessons.

Nice attitude. Makes people want to be helpful that much more. Use the search butoon. You'll see most people think PQ on SD is equal on all the DBS companies. If anything, people like D* more than E*.

cyuhnke said:
Nice attitude. Makes people want to be helpful that much more. Use the search butoon. You'll see most people think PQ on SD is equal on all the DBS companies. If anything, people like D* more than E*.

People "think" lots of things. Just because it is repeated a lot does not make it true, and I was just reporting my surprise experience (because I listened to what people think). I switched back and forth between D* and E* and four people including the D* installer agreed that SD on D* is clearly an inferior picture (to the same content on E*). Was looking for some expert experience but I see I came to a place that mostly repeats hearsay.. I will go elsewhere.

You asked the question...

and you got an honest answer. Most of us have had at least one other satellite service, some of us have had them all. Heck, some of these guys are looking at all 3 at once!

Generally we look at the SD comparisons as "Gee, I wonder who makes a better wine, Ripple or Mad Dog". They do all seem about equal to me, I must confess.

I'm sorry you were offended by the direct answers you received. This is really a good group. It's a great addition to your Favorites List if you are considering VOOM.

Good Luck. :)

cdelena said:

No commitment, no reciever purchases = no hard lessons

Cdelena, Welcome to the forum!
It will be difficult to find consensus on SD channels. The quality varies from channel to channel and from time to time. Furthermore, many of VOOMers have stopped watching SD channels and watch HD almost exclusively.

My advice to you is to order VOOM before the $0 down deal expires next week. Try it for yourself, make your own comparison and then decide whether to keep it or not. You won't have much to loose.

cdelena said:
Obviously you have not been able to do a comparison on the same equipment in a short period of time. D* looks terrible compared to E* which is one reason I am looking at adding V*..

Actually I have done comparisons. I kept my D* for a bit after the V* install to do just that.

I also spent the time years ago to make the direct comparison between D* and E* before deciding on D*. I try to make an educated decison, and thats done by actually going to stores that sell the product and making up my own mind. At that time D* and E* were equal enough to me that the PG and actually having a choice on STB manufacturers was actually the deciding factor.

If you truly believe one provider completely overshadows another when it comes to SD...then your pretty much in dreamland. Sorry, but your chasing a rainbow.

Ilya says it all. GET IT and do your own comparison and decide for yourself. $0 to install and test it out until the end of May. Then you will know what you don't know, and can rely on your own eyes instead of asking for other people's opinions.

Most people in the forum are trying to help. It's a very good group and it's increasing in size all the time. Lots of experience in here. I'd suggest that you don't run away from a good resource like this, even though you got off on a shaky start.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts