Looking fot a OTA topset box.

Have a friend who needs/wants a OTA top set box for his HD ready TV. Any suggestions. Thanks

First question is just how much money is he willing to part with as the price seems to go from under 100 to over 400 dollars.

Why would he need an ota box?Does he want dvr for ota?If not the hdtv should have atsc tuner built in.

older HDTV's were HD Ready but didnt have a tuner

My dad has one of those. Big old 46" HD Ready TV. This was 5-6 years ago when he got it

I have one available. Early Radio Shack. The big issue is that the remotes on these units weren't very good and don't seem to work at more than about a foot away from the unit. The receiver itself seems to be OK and I used a universal remote with it. I think it supports 1080i and 720p. The set I used it on was a sony CRT set with 1080i. Not sure where the remote is, but I am sure I can dig it up.

Don't know your location, but with that Packer avatar, it probably isn't too far from Milwaukee.

Ahh thanks for the explanation.Shame it doesn't have a built in atsc tuner.I don't think they still sell them but I have a DTV Pal.Just checked and they no longer sell them.It was made by echostar has a nice guide and the remote is just like the remotes for the old 2700 model receivers.Since we upgraded to hd sets no longer use it.Also had a zenith that I gave to my dad and I preferred the dtvpal.Anyway I no longer have a need for it if your friend is interested in it I would let it go cheap.Still have the original box and all.Pm me if your interested.Here is a link to the one I have..

Note,this is Sd only.If he wants Hd tuner they do get pretty expensive.

Last edited:
I have one available. Early Radio Shack. The big issue is that the remotes on these units weren't very good and don't seem to work at more than about a foot away from the unit. The receiver itself seems to be OK and I used a universal remote with it. I think it supports 1080i and 720p. The set I used it on was a sony CRT set with 1080i. Not sure where the remote is, but I am sure I can dig it up.

Don't know your location, but with that Packer avatar, it probably isn't too far from Milwaukee.

Thanks all, the HD part I know he wants. So the Pal boxes won't work. I live in Oconomowoc, so we are not to far apart. Will talk to him and PM you soon. I am a service tech so I am always in or near Milwaukee. :)

Dish 811/381 is a cheap HDTV tuner it requires a "DISH" signal but not a subscription. Tuner sensitivity wasn't the greatest but worked well with a good signal. There are also some Directv receivers such as the HUGHES HTLHD that work without a subscription to tune ATSC signals.

Dish 811/381 is a cheap HDTV tuner it requires a "DISH" signal but not a subscription. Tuner sensitivity wasn't the greatest but worked well with a good signal. There are also some Directv receivers such as the HUGHES HTLHD that work without a subscription to tune ATSC signals.

So you just need something like a Dish 500 to see the Welcome to Dish channels and it will let the OTA tuner work?

So you just need something like a Dish 500 to see the Welcome to Dish channels and it will let the OTA tuner work?
No you don't need a subscription to Welcome package all you need is a signal from a DISH satellite a dish 300 aimed at 119 and connected to a 381/811 will allow the ATSC tuner to work. That will give DVI or composite outputs (predates HDMI).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)