Looking into the Hopper after losing Distant Networks

My biggest worry now is being able to get the two hoppers without getting joey's.
Order 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys and have the tech drop the two joeys after he gets there. Worst case, you call Dish back up and drop the two joeys from your account and send them back via their boxes.

DIRT probably won't be able to place an upgrade with 2 hoppers and zero joeys as their hands are tied by Dish. They'll just try to push your towards one Hopper and one super joey.

Last edited:
Are they ok with being told to drop the two joeys and should I explain what I'm doing? Will they try to pull back a hopper too?

They're ok with it, no explanation needed, I did just that. They will not try to pull a Hopper. If they do, say never mind, hang up and deal with another CSR or DIRT.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Delete the deletion?

And report it to the Department of Redundancy Department?

;)

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Andrea I missed your location, but surmising from your post regarding one dish for distants and another for HD, it sounds like you are on the eastern half of the country. Sounds like your HD dish should be Eastern Arc (EA) and all set as far as the roof goes not having to be removed. Depending on how close your two dishes are together, you might even be able to use the existing wires from what will be the unused dish if they already run into the house to the same location as the 722s. A 2 Hopper setup requires 3 lines in from the DISH to a Duo Node. The node can be installed either outdoors near the dish, on the side of your house, or anywhere in between the dish and the 1st piece of equipment. Many like to have the node at a central location indoors and run all in house wiring from there. The unused dish could remain in place until your roof is replaced and removed then. However, you will probably need a tech visit to reset your EA dish if the roofers remove it for the install, which is most likely. A highly skilled do-it-yourselfer could probably reset it otherwise it should be left to a professional. A tech visit with DPP ($7 a month) is usually $15, usually $95 without. DPP can be added when needed and removed after something like 3 or 4 months.

I'm in NY State. THis summer when getting a 722 replaced the tech took down the extra dish not knowing we had distant networks (I wasn't here at the time, someone else was) so that's why I assumed we could remove the one dish. So, looks like I'm correct in that notion. ALL wires/cables from the dish run into the basement in the same place. The dishes are practically touching on the roof. I'd be very happy to see one go. I would prefer to have the duo node inside in the basement just for ease. And I agree, would need another tech visit in the summer to set the dish back up correctly after the roof is done, wouldn't want to tackle that myself.
On Amazon looking at rf modulators to try to familiarize myself with what has to happen. I'm looking at this one as a reference http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008FL1MLC/?tag=satell01-20 and wonder why I would have to use the white/red/yellow wires - couldn't I use the s-video instead? I guess it's not that big of a deal which one. Anyway, so I would plug a s-video or the w/r/y cable into the modulator then run a coax in which - the to tv or to antenna in (antenna right?) and then the one that is in the antenna in would get hooked to the corresponding hopper? Do I have it? It would be a darn miracle if I did.

Crap, that is crazy, talk about old school! :) So do I have the set up right otherwise? And I asked earlier but it probably got missed in with everything else, I've read about a number of people complaining since the last update, etc. Should I wait awhile before I make the jump (pun intended!)?

NYS, we're practically neighbors. The industry is abandoning S-Video like a red headed step child. I have always preferred S-Video over composite video for SD, but understand it has run its course. As far as your description for connecting the modulator, it sounds like you have got it. Like I said previously if I were you I wouldn't even unplug the coax from the TVs you are going to mirror to.

The complaints about the last software update are for the most part minor. There have been some EHD issues and a few OTA issues. I have only had one minor bug pop up which caused me to have to hard reboot both hoppers, but overall I have had rock solid performance. Based on my experience, I would not wait, but that's my experience.

THanks, we will have to wait a few weeks to a month, have a handful of movies to get thru and the last time I tried to transfer them to ehd and back to the new receiver only about 1/2 made it so I don't want to bother. THanks for the info, I think I can manage to do the hookups myself, my husband will be amazed, ha ha. Oh yes, I just looked at your location, we're not too far, if you're near VT we're about 1 1/2 hours away....

Looking at a pic of the back of the hopper and I think I've confused myself horribly. Going back to mirroring - the modulator would sit by the tv I want mirrored right? Then I would plug w/r/y cable from tv to modulator and the coax that is now going to the tv would also go to the modulator (antenna in)? But, at the hopper, how would that get connected? My 722 has two places that coax comes into it, looks like the hopper has one. So, the coax coming in from the satellite/node would go to the hopper on the left (looking at back straight on) but then I get lost. Is there coax that goes from the modulator that says "to tv" that would run to the hopper and where would that get plugged in (or do you need yet another modulator on that end)? There isn't another place for coax on it. And of course I would run a hdmi cord from the main tv into the hopper. ??????

EDIT - Nevermind, I see David jr answered this exactly a few pages back. So yes, I would need 4 modulators to mirror two tv's. Cheaper than the joey's in the long run I guess!

2ND EDIT - How do you switch over to watch what is recorded on the other Hopper?

Last edited:
You could just get away with using one RF modulator if you want. the RF modulator sends out the mirrored signal back out from the hopper. So, the modulator is connected directly to the hopper you want mirrored with the RCA cables.

No, the modulator sends a signal from your Hopper, via coax directly to your mirrored TV.... So, you take red, white, and yellow from the Hooper to the modulator and then attach your coax to the modulator and it goes directly to the mirrored TV/s...

Sparc, now I really am confused, thought there had to be a connection on both ends?

one half of the RF modulator is connected directly to the hopper with RCA cables. The other half is that second completely separate coax line that goes back out from that RF modulator to those other TVs.

Sooo, the modulator sits by the "main" tv/hopper and plugs in with r/w/y, and the coax from the 2nd tv goes to the modulator? Nothing else is needed? That's why back in the thread someone said to leave the coax going to my 2nd tv alone, right...I get it, the coax going from my 2nd tv to the 722 right now would actually now just get screwed into the modulator, there would be no other change except the r/w/y going from modulator to hopper. Yes?

Sooo, the modulator sits by the "main" tv/hopper and plugs in with r/w/y, and the coax from the 2nd tv goes to the modulator? Nothing else is needed? That's why back in the thread someone said to leave the coax going to my 2nd tv alone, right...I get it, the coax going from my 2nd tv to the 722 right now would actually now just get screwed into the modulator, there would be no other change except the r/w/y going from modulator to hopper. Yes?

Exactly!

Just to be clear. Are both those little used TVs connected to the same 722 or separate ones?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)