Looking to Cut the Cord and Dump DirecTv after 25 years. 13 TV's. Advice please...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Looks to me like the photo didn't show the whole screen, as theres info starting to show on the right hand side in the next cell in the photo.
Showing potentially more than 90 minutes on the screen.

IF Not .... I wouldn't be so quick to Blame D* for the 90 minute guide as OBVIOUSLY others are doing it as well, when other options could clearly be available.

Does the TS lives in a mansion ?

13 TV's (8 in a room that get used once in a while ?) for only 2 people in the home ?

Its very easy to cut down on cost ... how can you possibly need 13 boxes and tvs for 2 people ....

Like someone mentioned earlier, you have about $70 in BOXES fees ...

Even if you have the Premier package, thats what $150 ish, plus say $70 for boxes, that still doesn't come to $300 plus.

1)Does the TS lives in a mansion ?

2)13 TV's (8 in a room that get used once in a while ?) for only 2 people in the home ?
Its very easy to cut down on cost ... how can you possibly need 13 boxes and tvs for 2 people

3)Even if you have the Premier package, thats what $150 ish, plus say $70 for boxes, that still doesn't come to $300 plus.

1) Depends on what you consider a mansion (4bed/3bath/3300sqft)

2) Used to use the lower level several times a year (40 man poker once a month, NFL every Sunday with a game on every TV, Super Bowl, and a handful of various parties thrown in) so the TV's were being used a lot.

3)It's actually 16 boxes $105 (3 are "elsewhere"), I had the top DTV package, Regional sports pack, premier movie pack, advanced receiver service, whole home DVR pkg, and the top equipment coverage plan. ($324.92)

1) Depends on what you consider a mansion (4bed/3bath/3300sqft)

2) Used to use the lower level several times a year (40 man poker once a month, NFL every Sunday with a game on every TV, Super Bowl, and a handful of various parties thrown in) so the TV's were being used a lot.

3)It's actually 16 boxes $105 (3 are "elsewhere"), I had the top DTV package, Regional sports pack, premier movie pack, advanced receiver service, whole home DVR pkg, and the top equipment coverage plan. ($324.92)
Ok Jay,
Now y9u say y9u don't entertain like you use to, so, drop a bunch of boxes and some programming that you dont use ... in your case its easy to save money ......

I just changed over livingroom to Nivida Shield TV yesterday. It's as small as my Roku 4 box. There is a function I found under sound advanced for upmixing stereo to 5.1 PCM. As you may have learned many of the live stream services send stereo audio. A few are changing but in the meantime, this will work simulated surround sound.
Besides being a streamer the Shield is game console and Android TV with all the app store stuff. I'm new with it but so far I like.

DirecTV is hard to beat.

22 yr DTV subscriber. Dabbled with cord-cutting. Have OTA antennas, Gigabit Internet, and Cat6/7 Ethernet to anything that has a jack. Primary set is a 65' LG OLED with Onkyo Dolby Atmos receiver. NOTHING rivals DTV's integrated Guide, DVR software, and 5.1 surround support. If you are a veteran, you can bundle cell, Internet, and DTV and receive substantial discounts. For streaming HDR, Vision, and DD+, I do use a FireTV but have become very dependent on the LG OLED's WebOS that supports Dolby Vision and Atmos. My Atmos is configured 5.2.2.

For everyday TV I can seen no reason to downgrade to streaming TV. Granted I will watch live sports over OTA as the quality is better but I can now DVR that via my DTV AM21n that has been resurrected from the dead. Once/if AT&T launches their Android TV box they will be hard to surpass.

My current bill for two unlimited use cells, 1 gig Internet, and DTV low tier is $270/mo. I cannot not that separately.

I ain't go'n nowhere. DTV just does it better "for now".

To each his own, I feel just the opposite under no circumstance would I ever return to Directv. TV is basically a bunch of unwatchable garbage IMO and only need for one true thing SPORTS, Even the news I no longer need, I won't stoop so low as to watch any of the biased garbage from either side nowadays. I'll watch some history if politically untainted, science and occasional series like GOT but not necessary.

Nothing above $55 a month including HBO is my motto not counting Prime video which comes with Prime account.
If I had OTA TV I would consider dropping even the streaming service YTTV.
Its been several years since dropping Directv but the YTTV (Google) guide is as informative from what I recall the DTV guide was. DVR works better IMO. I get all the channels I need for sports with exception NFL network for $40 month. To get all these same channels with DTV it would need to be a mid to upper tier package pushing $100+ with all the add on fees they hit you with.

I just changed over livingroom to Nivida Shield TV yesterday. It's as small as my Roku 4 box. There is a function I found under sound advanced for upmixing stereo to 5.1 PCM. As you may have learned many of the live stream services send stereo audio. A few are changing but in the meantime, this will work simulated surround sound.
Besides being a streamer the Shield is game console and Android TV with all the app store stuff. I'm new with it but so far I like.

It’s also is a pretty decent low power plex server if you have media on a NAS or external drive.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: camo
To each his own, I feel just the opposite under no circumstance would I ever return to Directv. TV is basically a bunch of unwatchable garbage IMO and only need for one true thing SPORTS, Even the news I no longer need, I won't stoop so low as to watch any of the biased garbage from either side nowadays. I'll watch some history if politically untainted, science and occasional series like GOT but not necessary.

Nothing above $55 a month including HBO is my motto not counting Prime video which comes with Prime account.
If I had OTA TV I would consider dropping even the streaming service YTTV.
Its been several years since dropping Directv but the YTTV (Google) guide is as informative from what I recall the DTV guide was. DVR works better IMO. I get all the channels I need for sports with exception NFL network for $40 month. To get all these same channels with DTV it would need to be a mid to upper tier package pushing $100+ with all the add on fees they hit you with.
Good luck with your motto ....

You say you pay $40 for YTTV (for now, it will be going up just like all the others have started, about $5 or more each time they decide to raise .. which could be More than once a year ...
You also have Amazon Prime TV thats another $10 p/m how much is HBO costing you , thats an add on in most cases. Is that another $5 - $10 ...

It will keep climbing every year, oh, and don't forget, the INTERNET Provider will soon be jumping in there wanting thier share ... probably $10 more a month every year.

Good luck with your motto ....

You say you pay $40 for YTTV (for now, it will be going up just like all the others have started, about $5 or more each time they decide to raise .. which could be More than once a year ...
You also have Amazon Prime TV thats another $10 p/m how much is HBO costing you , thats an add on in most cases. Is that another $5 - $10 ...

It will keep climbing every year, oh, and don't forget, the INTERNET Provider will soon be jumping in there wanting thier share ... probably $10 more a month every year.

I'll have Prime no matter what, due to the remote location so it actually saves me several thousand a year in gas, wear and tear on vehicles, my time, etc. Don't forget every $5 dollar increase I have, yours goes up too. :biggrin Total speculation on ISP so no response needed.

I'll have Prime no matter what, due to the remote location so it actually saves me several thousand a year in gas, wear and tear on vehicles, my time, etc. Don't forget every $5 dollar increase I have, yours goes up too. :biggrin Total speculation on ISP so no response needed.
Actually, my D* cost won't be going up.
The ISP, I'm sure, as everyone is going to find out, now that people are streaming in droves ... will continue to go up.

I would hate to have to rely on multiple companies for one product, but apparently, that doesn't both others.
Directv has my TV, I pay them, only for my TV.
I have other products, Netflix, Hulu and Prime, but I can do without those easily if need be.

If I had D* Now, that has gone up 2 times this year and I expect all the others to as well .... once one company is able to do it, most follow.

I'll be curious to see if ISP prices do actually go up a whole lot over time. Right now, they are high in places where there isn't competition. The wireless providers claim they will compete in a lot of those places, which might actually drive prices down. Where I live, Spectrum costs $45/month for their standard package, and I can threaten to leave for AT&T Fiber or Google Fiber or Ting or Frontier, depending on where people live in the region, and get a 2 year extension on that price. Where my parents live, they cannot threaten to leave or actually leave, so they are stuck with $65/month forever, plus whatever increases Spectrum decides to impose. If they had access to fixed 5G wireless, they could threaten to leave for that.

I'll be curious to see if ISP prices do actually go up a whole lot over time. Right now, they are high in places where there isn't competition. The wireless providers claim they will compete in a lot of those places, which might actually drive prices down. Where I live, Spectrum costs $45/month for their standard package, and I can threaten to leave for AT&T Fiber or Google Fiber or Ting or Frontier, depending on where people live in the region, and get a 2 year extension on that price. Where my parents live, they cannot threaten to leave or actually leave, so they are stuck with $65/month forever, plus whatever increases Spectrum decides to impose. If they had access to fixed 5G wireless, they could threaten to leave for that.
I don't see the ISP prices going down ... ever.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)