Looking to Cut the Cord and Dump DirecTv after 25 years. 13 TV's. Advice please...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I’ve no doubt OTT services will raise prices, however they would have to go up ALOT to match what I paid for sat 2-3 years ago. And there is also no doubt traditional methods will continue to raise pricing as they always have.

As for internet, I’m paying for that either way, it doesn’t factor into what I’m paying for tv to me, as it isn’t bundled and I got no discount with either.

Reactions: tigerfan33
My Cox Internet actually went down $3 this month. No idea why, but it did, although the tv part went up, thanks to the below the line locals and rsn pricing not being part of the bundles.

My Cox Internet actually went down $3 this month. No idea why, but it did, although the tv part went up, thanks to the below the line locals and rsn pricing not being part of the bundles.
My internet went down as well, from increased competition.

Went from 70 to 50 for slightly faster service.

Take a look at PlayStation Vue. It works on several streaming platforms like the Roku, Apple TV, and FireTV and they have a package for sports. Their service has a DVR like feature as well. I can’t recommend Hulu Live any longer after the debacle of issues with our CBS feed yesterday.

For internet we have to play provider switcheroo every year as Frontier only gives the best deals to new customers and one can count as a new customer after canceling for 30 days. For those 30 days we use Spectrum no contract and then switch back. Frontier is FiOS and we get 100/100 Mbps service. Right now we pay $47 a month for internet.

I don't see the ISP prices going down ... ever.

Perhaps not down per se, but I expect to continue to get more for the same price. I pay $50 a month for 100/100 Symmetrical Fiber service. My first broadband connection cost me $59.99 and was 3Mb/768kb.

My internet went down as well, from increased competition.

Went from 70 to 50 for slightly faster service.

I'm jealous. :shh :glasses
No competition for me, I'm a jinx and given up hope of ever having any competition. My only other option in this neighborhood is 3MB DSL from Windstream. This is how Cox gets away with a 1Tb data cap and charging another $50 a month to go unlimited. Cox may have more competition in a few neighborhoods in the other parts of the Tulsa Metro served by ATT and BTC fiber. Windstream offers some fiber in a few neighborhoods, but it's no faster than Cox for the same money.

My service at the lake has been upgraded from 6Mb DSL to 15Mb bonded service from Windstream. The local electric co-op is running fiber everywhere around the lake, except the 1 sq mile area where I and a few hundred other homes are. :oldmad
In Vegas, we get to pay Cox more for the same service I get here and the only other option out there is still 3Mb DSL from Centurylink. :computerwindow

I'm jealous. :shh :glasses
No competition for me, I'm a jinx and given up hope of ever having any competition. My only other option in this neighborhood is 3MB DSL from Windstream. This is how Cox gets away with a 1Tb data cap and charging another $50 a month to go unlimited. Cox may have more competition in a few neighborhoods in the other parts of the Tulsa Metro served by ATT and BTC fiber. Windstream offers some fiber in a few neighborhoods, but it's no faster than Cox for the same money.

My service at the lake has been upgraded from 6Mb DSL to 15Mb bonded service from Windstream. The local electric co-op is running fiber everywhere around the lake, except the 1 sq mile area where I and a few hundred other homes are. :oldmad
In Vegas, we get to pay Cox more for the same service I get here and the only other option out there is still 3Mb DSL from Centurylink. :computerwindow
I'm in the same boat as you ...
The local company keeps increasing the cost ... its ridiculous if you don't have a promotion ...
I'm paying about $65 for 100 mbps, use to be around $90, then I dropped my landline just to save money.
They jumped us from 50 to 100 several months back, but you really can't tell the difference except my internet runs worse.

My only other option is from Frontier that is offering 10 mbps ....
Thru the company that I'm with (local Cable Company) your options are 100 mbps or 10 .... and only about $10 difference in price.

I've tried to drop down to speeds that I previously had (that they offered) and they don't offer them anymore.

I'll be curious to see if ISP prices do actually go up a whole lot over time. Right now, they are high in places where there isn't competition. The wireless providers claim they will compete in a lot of those places, which might actually drive prices down. Where I live, Spectrum costs $45/month for their standard package, and I can threaten to leave for AT&T Fiber or Google Fiber or Ting or Frontier, depending on where people live in the region, and get a 2 year extension on that price. Where my parents live, they cannot threaten to leave or actually leave, so they are stuck with $65/month forever, plus whatever increases Spectrum decides to impose. If they had access to fixed 5G wireless, they could threaten to leave for that.

Correction: my parents are paying $70/month for 30/5 service from Spectrum.

3 internet options very small community. Cable is the most expensive biggest package is $60 for 25/2 Mbps no caps. Centurylink DSL works great if you are in town 20/2 for $45 lifetime no caps yet and the most reliable. The other option is 10/5/3 plans over a wireless setup with an antenna at each customers location, used primarily outside of city services.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts