Looking to enhance my TV viewing

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

coloradoxmfan

Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Hey all,

This is one of my first posts... I've been mainly lurking, wanting to get into SatTV beyond my "basic" DirecTV with HD channel line-up.

I was going to ask if anyone had any advice and/or would be selling the FREE OTA equipment... but after seeing this thread, I can see why folks might shy away from doing any good deeds for fellow enthusiasts for awhile... :confused:

I should clarify - I'm wanting to "get into" the free OTA programming. I absolutely love tinkering with TV-anything and would love to get a start into the hobby (lifestyle? :)).

Hey all,

This is one of my first posts... I've been mainly lurking, wanting to get into SatTV beyond my "basic" DirecTV with HD channel line-up.

I was going to ask if anyone had any advice and/or would be selling the FREE OTA equipment... but after seeing this thread, I can see why folks might shy away from doing any good deeds for fellow enthusiasts for awhile... :confused:

If you are concerned with dealing with a person here on a one on one level (although most are honest) deal with Mike Kohl from Global Communications http://www.global-cm.net/ or Brian Gohl from Satellite AV Satellite AV - Free to Air Satellite Equipment Distributors - Fortec Star, GEOSATpro, Winegard - SatelliteAV, LLC.
I have ordered from both before and my experiences were great :)

I should clarify - I'm wanting to "get into" the free OTA programming. I absolutely love tinkering with TV-anything and would love to get a start into the hobby (lifestyle? :)).
I am still not sure what you are asking.
Are you looking for OTA equipment? like an antenna?

Or are you looking for FTA equipment? Two totally different things.

I ask, because there really isnt anything to "get into" with OTA. Pop up an antenna, run it to your tv and bam.

There is alot more to FTA, and that sounds like what you are asking

Sorry, I basically looking to pop a satellite dish in the yard, fire up the FTA receiver and enjoy TV.

LOL - judging by the few PM's I've received, I've confused more than 2 people here. Basically, I'm ignorant when it comes to FTA - I'm looking for advice, tips, etc. on how to get started. So many choices... C, Ku, etc.

Certainly the least expensive way to start is with a 36" ku dish, standard linear lnbf and a motor . Currently that's $145 plus shipping at Sadoun . Highly regarded receivers include Fortec Mercury II, Pansat 3500, Coolsat 5000/6000 , VisionSat iv200 , Traxis 3500 , in no particular order. I favor the Merc II ( I have 2 of them ) but I think some of the best bargains right now are the used Coolsat 6000's on ebay ( and elsewhere) . They are in the $60 range and provide a lot of "bang" for that buck. For under $250 , you could have a nice blindscanning system to start out this hobby.

:)

Certainly the least expensive way to start is with a 36" ku dish, standard linear lnbf and a motor . Currently that's $145 plus shipping at Sadoun . Highly regarded receivers include Fortec Mercury II, Pansat 3500, Coolsat 5000/6000 , VisionSat iv200 , Traxis 3500 , in no particular order. I favor the Merc II ( I have 2 of them ) but I think some of the best bargains right now are the used Coolsat 6000's on ebay ( and elsewhere) . They are in the $60 range and provide a lot of "bang" for that buck. For under $250 , you could have a nice blindscanning system to start out this hobby.

:)

Thank you so much! This is perfect information!:)

Yea, Brent really laid it out clearly !

The other things you need, are a clear view to the south east, south, and south west.
See any of the satellite angle calculator programs for aiming info on all the goodies up there.
We have a fine one on TheList, which also has the kind of detailed satellite info you'll soon be needing.

Other resources include this angle calculator which'll give you a PDF printout of all the birds you can see, and this very basic list of satellites (good to suck in the beginners). ;)

Oh, coax, compass, and this simple soda straw inclinometer might be helpful, too...
... here's a list of shows on Equity RTN stations.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts