Looking to make change, need info please!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Juice916

Original poster
Apr 20, 2008
Hi to all, i'm new here!

I just had a couple of questions, I have cable right now and was intrested in switching to directv. I'm trying to see the pros & cons of both and which would be better for me.

I dont have a phone line, I've heard that you dont need one but havent seen anything to confirm that.

Another issue is internet, i use my cable for that so i cant cancel them out completely. Would this be an issue with tryin to get directv.

I have seen all of the packages and it looks like with even paying the cable company for internet my monthly would be under the $161.00 I pay for cable and internet w/ taxes. I was looking into the premium package, does anyone have that package and is there a lot of taxes on directv. Like if it was $85 a month plus another $20 in taxes.

I have three tv's now, two are HDTV. I currently have a HDDVR and a HD box and the third tv is a regular tv which i would need a box from directv. How much am i looking at for start up costs?

oh, i live in florida(orlando area), i hear that it goes out a lot out here anytime it rains, etc.... Is this the case or just hear say!??

thats all the questions i can think of now. any help or advice would be appreciated.

Hi to all, i'm new here! WELCOME and enjoy!

I just had a couple of questions, I have cable right now and was intrested in switching to directv. I'm trying to see the pros & cons of both and which would be better for me.

I dont have a phone line, I've heard that you dont need one but havent seen anything to confirm that. NO NEED

Another issue is internet, i use my cable for that so i cant cancel them out completely. Would this be an issue with tryin to get directv. THIS IS OK; simply explain that is your ISP line and that they MUST run new RG6.

I have seen all of the packages and it looks like with even paying the cable company for internet my monthly would be under the $161.00 I pay for cable and internet w/ taxes. I was looking into the premium package, does anyone have that package and is there a lot of taxes on directv. Like if it was $85 a month plus another $20 in taxes. I think taxes are different in each state and I am not in FL but with PREM pay about $120; not counting extras like NFL and NBA, etc.

I have three tv's now, two are HDTV. I currently have a HDDVR and a HD box and the third tv is a regular tv which i would need a box from directv. How much am i looking at for start up costs? Depends on the deals you can get; but for a new user I will GUESS no more than $100; I will let a pro chime in with real calculations.

oh, i live in florida(orlando area), i hear that it goes out a lot out here anytime it rains, etc.... Is this the case or just hear say!?? Rain fade IS a fact of life for DBS, BUT it is NO WHERE like the statements you read or hear, In fact, overall, DBS down down is proven to be less than cable. But there are many more things that can take out cable. The FL users can post some real area results.

thats all the questions i can think of now. any help or advice would be appreciated. Good luck, and keep us updated to let us know how it goes.

I dont have a phone line, I've heard that you dont need one but havent seen anything to confirm that.

It's not NEEDED per-say but if you plan to use game lounge it is required or order PPV via the remote (save $$ by ordering via your online account)

Recommendation: If you have an open port on your router, figure in how far the receiver will be from the router and buy some cat-5 network cable about 10' more than you anticipate and offer the guy some $ to run it for you. This way you can take advantage of On-Demand that is out/coming out at no additional cost (minus PPV)

Another issue is internet, i use my cable for that so i cant cancel them out completely. Would this be an issue with trying to get directv.

Like said before just have the installer leave that line alone, he will run line for each receiver if needed

I have seen all of the packages and it looks like with even paying the cable company for internet my monthly would be under the $161.00 I pay for cable and internet w/ taxes. I was looking into the premium package, does anyone have that package and is there a lot of taxes on directv. Like if it was $85 a month plus another $20 in taxes.

Not sure, auto pay bill and get a $50 credit each month as an installer.

I have three tv's now, two are HDTV. I currently have a HDDVR and a HD box and the third tv is a regular tv which i would need a box from directv. How much am i looking at for start up costs?

Standard box - FREE
HD Box - FREE + $9.99 HD Access + $4.99 Lease
HD DVR - $99-$199 + $5.99 DVR Access + $4.99 Lease

oh, i live in florida(orlando area), i hear that it goes out a lot out here anytime it rains, etc.... Is this the case or just hear say!??

If It does go out its only for a few seconds to minutes while the inital squall line is in the path Once the squall line passes and the storm settles in your signal may drop to around 70% but will be fine as digital signal is either on or off. You may notice some slight pixelization during a heavy rain fall.

Tips: Make sure he shows you what he is going to do before hand and make sure he knows to get your approval if something needs to change. You shouldn't have any extra charges from the installer unless you request a pole mount, request wall fishes or a pole needs to be placed more than 75' from teh house.

Make sure he shows you the install when its done, the lines should be neat not hanging, hidden if possible. he will only need 4 lines (2 for HDDVR) so he should set a ground block near your meter box BEFORE he makes entry into the house. If he uses existing lines, make sure he replaces all the connectors he plans to use.

The KA/KU (HD Antenna) if its on the roof should have all 6 lag bolts installed with a Mastic tape under the footing, with 2 of them in beams. It should also have 2 mono-poles to help secure it.

Just make sure you are satisfied with the "look" of everything before he leaves.

If you have any problems at all within 14 days, don't hesitate to call the installer up first. It's in his best intrest to not have a service call right after installation. He shoudl offer you his number.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts