Looking to switch to Direct

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PACKERFAN58

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
illinois
Currently I am with the other satellite company. I was wondering how Direct compares to the other in a couple categories:

Do they have a dual receiver that allows recording two and watching another?

Can they use the existing wiring setup or do they need to replace with new wire?

How does the direction of the satellite dish compare with what I have currently? (I had to cut down some limbs to allow a better signal) (Also my dish is currently cemented to the ground at the site of my house). I would hate to have to cut down more trees to accomodate the signal.

I have heard from co-workers that Direct is better with local channels, is that true? (I live in the Champaign-Urbana-Danville, IL area).

Any thing else you can say to convince me besides the fact that Direct has NFL
Sunday ticket?

Thanks for your time and help,

Ron

:confused:

I, and many others, made the switch lately. I have not looked back.

1. Yes, you can record two shows while watching a recorded event.

2. Might depend on how they set you up. I can't answer this. For my set up they did. I have 2 HR24s and an H24.

3. I actually have a better view. Don't know what you had.

4. HD channels look considerably better on D*.

5. If you are doing multiple receivers, M(ulti)R(oom)V(iewing) is a must. I love being able to record on one and watch on another. The 24 series is a great receiver. Some things are much more intuitive. There is also a larger selection of OnDemand. I've downloaded many shows and movies.

S~

Since your name is Packer Fan, should we assume you like the NFL Football games ? :)

If you are buying a HDTV at the same time, Best Buy will credit you $250.

If you get a referral from any current customer, that is another $100.

Direct TV gives you two free HD receivers that will share the same DVR.

DirecTV on Demand is very cool .. download movies to your DVR immediately instead of waiting for them to be scheduled on satellite.

MLB Channel and Gol, which Dish doesn't have.

I even like the Direct music channels . . no talking compared to Sirius on Dish, just music.

Currently I am with the other satellite company. I was wondering how Direct compares to the other in a couple categories:

Do they have a dual receiver that allows recording two and watching another?

As mentioned, you can record two shows while watching a already recorded show

Can they use the existing wiring setup or do they need to replace with new wire?
Usually, but that depends on your current set up

How does the direction of the satellite dish compare with what I have currently? (I had to cut down some limbs to allow a better signal) (Also my dish is currently cemented to the ground at the site of my house). I would hate to have to cut down more trees to accomodate the signal.
Dish 's sat's are spread out farther, D*'s sats range from the 99* slot to the 119* at most, Chances are you may only need the main 3 though as there's not much on the 110 and 119, so it would require access to the 99, 101 and 103 sats, much easier to get than DISH's set up, so you'll not need as wide of an angle.

I have heard from co-workers that Direct is better with local channels, is that true? (I live in the Champaign-Urbana-Danville, IL area).
Better in what way ?, what are you asking ?

Any thing else you can say to convince me besides the fact that Direct has NFL
Sunday ticket?

Thanks for your time and help,

Ron

:confused:

LIL in your area creates a somewhat unique situation. You must have HD receivers across the board as even the SD channels that DIRECTV offers are MPEG4. This doesn't cost extra, but they may be more prone to rain fade. Another side effect of the HD equipment deal is that DIRECTV doesn't offer RF modulators in their HD equipment so you will need one for any TVs that don't have video inputs.

Channels offered are:

WCIA 3
WRSP 55
WICS 20
WAND 17
WILL 12
WSEC 14 (SD)
WEIU 51 (SD)
WBUI 23
WCFN 49 (SD)

You know what you're getting with the other service. Note that the DIRECTV equipment doesn't come with OTA tuners but an add-on module is available.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)