Looks like Blue Ray is going to win.....

Soundhd

Original poster
Dec 28, 2007
I have been waiting to see what was going to happen to the HD-DVD/Blue Ray contest and it looks like Warner decided that contest. I have been wating to see before making the plunge into one of the formats to replace my DVD player. Folks it looks like the VHS vs BETA back in the 70's......(yeah, I'm an older dude....) There just is not a big enough market to support both formats....(just my opinion here). HD-DVD prices have dropped......that my friends is a sure sign...(same thing happened with VHS & BETA).........I think the best thing to do is to just with the flow of Blue Ray and lets get on with watching our movies in Blue Ray-HD....but let the arguements begin or more like complaining......:cool:

Well thanks for letting us know. Been anxiously awaiting the outcome.... now I can sleep tonight. :rolleyes:

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :D Not all of us are quite as convinced as you are.

These posts are almost getting as bad as the "when will we get USA Scifi HD" ones.

What a prophecy Nostradamus!
The only way the format war will be settled is if all studios go exclusive to one format or all go neutral and let the consumer decide. The latter is not what the BDA wants to happen.

i dont care which format wins,"THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE". so i can go out and get it and not have to worry about if i bought the right one or if its going to be worthless in a year when the other format wins.

The price thing is still so funny too me, maybe thats because I already invested and dont care :D .

BTW, Digitalbits is going to have a post tonight or early am talking about WB's planned 08 releases, should be interesting.

Yeah, I know he's a shill, but release dates for movies in HD are always good.

BTW, Fox also estimates that BD spending in 2008 will meet $1 billion.

These posts are almost getting as bad as the "when will we get USA Scifi HD" ones.

Crap, by the time we get those, both HD formats will have lost. But on the other hand, only dish will have basketweaving HD and the shoelace collectors channel HD

I read that article from homemediamagazine and it said nothing about blu spending.
The $1billion spending was mentioned a month ago during CES
On the software side, Blu-ray titles generated 5.6 million disc unit sales and $170 million in consumer spending, in 2007. The year ahead will trounce
that performance, hitting 40 million discs sold, and churning out $1 billion in consumer spending in 2008, according to the studio.
CES: Blu-ray growth forecast healthy - 1/8/2008 - Video Business
Will be interesting to see by how much they will miss that mark...

Diogen.

Let's see:

Blu-ray is outselling HD DVD 5 or 6 to one.
More titles are available on Blu-ray and that imbalance is about to grow even more lopsided come June.
Many titles (Warner) will be coming out in Blu-ray 3 weeks before coming out in HD DVD.
Shelf space for HD DVD is declining or disappearing in retail stores.
Rental support for Blu-ray is better.
Blu-ray players are outselling HD DVD players, even if you don't count the PS3.
Retail support for HD DVD players appears to be dwindling (except to the "faithful").
Blu-ray discs have outsold HD DVD every single week since Xmas 2006.
In the rest of the world, representing roughly half the HDM market, Blu-ray outsells HD DVD by a wide margin also.

Yep, I'd say the future belongs to Blu.

Hell there still aren't enough releases on either format. I still wind up watching more SD DVD's than either BD or HD DVD.

I really dont care who wins. I just want day and date releases for all movies on DVD and an HD format.

I have over 50 titles out of the 4 or 5 hundred available for sale/preorder.

Blu-Ray = DIVX

When prices dropped for VHS, it overtook Betamax.

That's not exactly what happened. JVC made master machines and gave them to the movie industry suggesting that movies could be rented. Before that RCA chose VHS from Panasonic because of the slightly longer record time. RCA was electronics in the U.S. from the early days of color until the Japanese invasion in the mid 80s. Software and hardware availability doomed Betamax. Sony learned their lesson well.:D

Hell there still aren't enough releases on either format. I still wind up watching more SD DVD's than either BD or HD DVD.

I really dont care who wins. I just want day and date releases for all movies on DVD and an HD format.

I currently have 15 titles in my netflix queue, only 2 are dvd ;)

That's not exactly what happened. JVC made master machines and gave them to the movie industry suggesting that movies could be rented. Before that RCA chose VHS from Panasonic because of the slightly longer record time. RCA was electronics in the U.S. from the early days of color until the Japanese invasion in the mid 80s. Software and hardware availability doomed Betamax. Sony learned their lesson well.:D

I think they have learned several times ... Betamax.... UMD....

But i think initially crippling the adoption of the PS3 by the insane initial prices have paid off this time.

But remember "I think we undercharged for the PS3 we could have charged what we wanted."

Be happy smurfs that those heads rolled and a more reasonable leader is in charge now. :D