Looks like E* is catching up with D*

Status
Please reply by conversation.

FlyingJ

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 19, 2005
Bexley, Ohio
Catching up, if going backwards counts. I am not posting this to bash anyone. I have stated all along that if it wasn't for NFL ST, if what so many are always saying about E* HD PQ being that much better than D* I would switch. Looks like I may be able to get that thought completely out of my mind or at least not feel as if I am missing something. I was reading the latest thread over on the E* side of things and everone seems to be in agreement the the HD-Lite plague has indeed infected most of their HD programming including their precious Voom channels. Now don't get me wrong, more HD-Lite is better than no HD at all but the decision between the NFL ST on D* vs the supposed higher PQ on E* seems to be changing to the NFL ST on D* vs more HD (but Lite) programming on E*.

I think it is a disgrace what these companies are doing. When I first saw HD at my local PBS station I was stunned. I felt like I was flying over the mountains. When I first bought my D* HD receiver, I was amazed at the picture. I hope that comes back when the new birds are up, but I doubt it. Hd-lite is better than no HD, but I want the whole kit and kaboodle when it comes to HD.

I would love to see Hd lite as the standard picture quality for all standard definition channels. True hd in its highest forms should be for the hd channels.

FlyingJ said:
Catching up, if going backwards counts. I am not posting this to bash anyone. I have stated all along that if it wasn't for NFL ST, if what so many are always saying about E* HD PQ being that much better than D* I would switch. Looks like I may be able to get that thought completely out of my mind or at least not feel as if I am missing something. I was reading the latest thread over on the E* side of things and everone seems to be in agreement the the HD-Lite plague has indeed infected most of their HD programming including their precious Voom channels. Now don't get me wrong, more HD-Lite is better than no HD at all but the decision between the NFL ST on D* vs the supposed higher PQ on E* seems to be changing to the NFL ST on D* vs more HD (but Lite) programming on E*.

Holy Crap we agree!

MikeD-C05 said:
I would love to see Hd lite as the standard picture quality for all standard definition channels. True hd in its highest forms should be for the hd channels.
That would be about what we can hope for and D* can try to achive, here's hope that the SD channels can be bumped up to at least be respectable, some of them are down right bad.
We will find out when the other sats are up and operatable, I doubt well see much improvement before that.

Jimbo

Last edited:
What HD channels on E* has as low of a resolution as their D* counterparts? Or as low a bitrate? From what I read from the thread over in the E* section, only the Voom channels are as bad as all of D*'s HD channels. The other downrezzed channels are still of higher quality at 1440x1080i, and the rest at 1920x1080i. Something you wil find NONE of on D*

Last edited:
After now seeing both services Dish has a long way to go before they come down to Directv's level. Yes some of them are not full HD but they still look 100% better than the Directv offerings.

vurbano said:
What HD channels on E* has as low of a resolution as their D* counterparts? Or as low a bitrate? From what I read from the thread over in the E* section, only the Voom channels are as bad as all of D*'s HD channels. The other downrezzed channels are still of higher quality at 1440x1080i, and the rest at 1920x1080i. Something you wil find NONE of on D*

The term I used was catching up, not caught up. Point is Vurbano, that you constanly bash D* for their not real HD quality. So since it's not quite as low as D*s it's OK for E* to do it. Hey if your gonna fight for a cause, you can't give E* the slack. And who is to say that they will remain at the levels they are at now.

JAG, I would say 100% better is a gross overstatement, IMHO

FlyingJ said:
JAG, I would say 100% better is a gross overstatement, IMHO

Some look about the same (Voom, HDNET). But the others look much better than Directv. I did not believe that it was that much better until I had a VIP 622 and HD Tivo hooked up to my TV today.

Big East, naaaa you can call it the NFC Big North Division though!! I have to be more optimistic than cheeshead country . Don't I?

Last edited:
Looks like E*is catching up with D*

vurbano said:

Vurbano, if you've already answered this, please pardon me for repeating the question once again.

If you're so unhappy with D*, why haven't you switched to E* or your local CC?

I certainly would have, even if I had to pay a pro-rated penalty to cancel.

Just a thought!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)