This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Looks Like iPhone to Stay With AT&T For Another 6 Months

The main reason why Apple SHOULD open the doors to iphone nonexclusivity, meaning all carriers can sell it, is money. However I am concerned that a mass exodus from AT&T will devastate the AT&T stock and will cripple the Verizon data network making the problem with data speed move from AT&T to Verizon. Then the data issues will simply be with Verizon.

As a Verizon data user, I really don't look forward to the iphone coming to Verizon as I do worry Verizon is not ready, but as an Apple and Verizon stock holder, I think the initial $$$ impact for me will be good. The way to make the iphone sales jump for Apple is to increase the size of their market. This will also hurt Rim and htc sales.

Apple will have to go with Verizon or risk that the IPhone will not continue its growth. The nexus 2 is due out the same time the next IPHONE. Also Nokia has a new phone that will blow the IPhone out of the water think 6 inch screen and a 12MB phone. How many current unhappy IPHONE users will stick with ATT due to drop calls.

Apple needs another US carrier to stay in the game.

The real reason of course is that VZ is not GSM. Apple is just now working to come out with a CDMA version, probably going on sale in some Asia markets later this year. AT&T did not really have to work that hard to keep the exclusivity. T-Mobile would not have been able to handle the load. AT&T just made it worth Apples while to just have GSM which gives it most of the world anyways.

If VZ was GSM, AT&T would have lost the exclusivity last year like all the other providers around the world did. AT&T would not have been able to pay Apple enough to suffer with the AT&T network.

Also Nokia has a new phone that will blow the IPhone out of the water...

I think phrases like blow iphone out of the water and iphone killer have become just too old these days. If the Droid didn't do it, and the Nexus one didn't do it, I seriously doubt Nokia will be the one to convert all those iphone owners. Many iphone owners probably never even heard of Nokia.

I do agree that the iphone needs to be open to all carriers for it to grow from here. Even so, some people like me will never own an iphone. My wife may, but until certain things change about it, it will not be in my daily travels.

as far as iphone is concerned...i am not sure how much improvement you are going to make. The touchscreen concept is formed period. You can make it bigger and faster is about it imo. You can keep adding apps with sharper graphics etc... The jailbreakers have already offered us some of apple's "upcoming operating system improvements". people were multitasking iphone 3G two years ago with backgrounder from cydia as an example.

Its going to come down to what you want to do.. and money..whoever gives the best deal on touchscreen phones with their capabilities will get the sales.

Recent market share of the iphone has increased from 10.9 to 16.1 for the first qtr year to year by IDC.
The statistics are a bit confusing because it compares a single phone from a single company to many phones offered by a many companies and single companies.
In another study, comparing operating systems it was said that Google Android has gained leadership position over Apple when comparing all Android devices sales to just iphone sales.

Will someone compare a single model phone to a single model phone? Just isolate the time period. Will someone compare a single company's sales of devices to another company's devices- eg. all Google Android devices to all Apple i- devices ( ipod, iphone, ipad) Or just iphone to say, Droid...

I agree that as long as apple remains fixed in an icon-centric/icon-only user interface, there is very little you can add to it, other than improving speed, and graphics capability.

This roughly translates to 'well this isn't fair, someone put out a press release that helps my stocks' ...? Isn't that the same as saying 'well MacOS is losing to windows, but how's Apple doing against the Dell Latitude 500?'

Android is now beating the iphone OS in the US for market share... another case for the iphone being on more than one carrier.

NPD: Android ousts iPhone OS for second place in US smartphone market -- Engadget

Last edited:
That's really good news about Android!

Now, merge the codebase with Chrome OS and do the same to the tablet market!

Diogen.

This whole article is written by someone who has NOT heard anything, or KNOW anything...its just him assuming based on att releasing the ipad...my guess would be we will see the iphone on verizon when they do their lte network, until then, no.

This roughly translates to 'well this isn't fair, someone put out a press release that helps my stocks'

Screw you meStevo- FWIW- I have more invested in Google, Microsoft, Verizon and Dell for that matter; individually' than I do in Apple. You know nothing of what you talk about!

I want all of them to do well!

I would just like to see iphone sales in Feb vs. Droid sales in February. March- iphone sales against Nexus One sales. etc. I just feel this would be more significant in that argument- what is the iphone killer?

Stuart- Good point. They know knothing! They certainly don't understand like category comparisons. But the last I heard Verizon wanted to do an iphone CDMA with LTE. Now give me a user replaceable battery and I'll be taking another look.

Getting back to the thread title: it might be much more than 6 months...
Confirmed: Apple and AT&T signed five-year iPhone exclusivity deal -- but is it still valid? -- Engadget

Interesting reading.
If both parties are still on good terms - and this is most likely the case due to the iPad - it might be 2 more years that iPhone will be exclusively with AT&T in the US.

Also an interesting P.S. at the link

Diogen.

Don't know what happened to the link I posted in the first post. I did copy and paste with my iPhone and checked it again with my iPhone and it takes me to the article I did copy. I check it on my iPad and it takes me to another article. Weird.

OK. Back on topic.

david pogue suggested that the orignal iphone att agreement is for 5 years. Will expire in 2012.

He based this on court records read his twits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

david pogue suggested that the orignal iphone att agreement is for 5 years. Will expire in 2012.

It was originally announced as a 5 year agreement when the first iPhone came out. I've never seen anything before now that confirmed nor denied that. Now we know.