Looks Like iPhone to Stay With AT&T For Another 6 Months

Recent market share of the iphone has increased from 10.9 to 16.1 for the first qtr year to year by IDC.
The statistics are a bit confusing because it compares a single phone from a single company to many phones offered by a many companies and single companies.
In another study, comparing operating systems it was said that Google Android has gained leadership position over Apple when comparing all Android devices sales to just iphone sales.

Will someone compare a single model phone to a single model phone? Just isolate the time period. Will someone compare a single company's sales of devices to another company's devices- eg. all Google Android devices to all Apple i- devices ( ipod, iphone, ipad) Or just iphone to say, Droid...

Stop reaching, It was apple decision to stick to one US carrier and there are three iPhones on the market not one.

Stop reaching, It was apple decision to stick to one US carrier and there are three iPhones on the market not one.
I don't think it's too much of a reach since the capabilities of the Android phones vary so much.

As a developer, I can tell you that targeting Android is not as easy as targeting iPhone. The differences between the various models makes it necessary to select subsets of the Android based devices as your target audience - much like programming for PC's.

Thanks for the 5 yr reference documentation. I don't recall that but I do recall back then that I questioned the legality of a contract that would prevent the iphone from being locked to a single carrier. I don't believe that case has ever been made for any locked phone, not just the iphone. Yes, the subsidy cost would still hold and have to be paid but a carrier should not be able to restrict you from moving the phone to another carrier. Unfortunately, in the US it would have to be T-Mobile and given the two, AT&T is likely still a much better carrier anyway.

hmmm I dont know about that one, I think apple actually tried to get it to other carriers at the time, plus why would apple just say hey, heres our phone PLUS a 5 year contract/

Again without a CDMA version Apple is doing well world wide. They may introduce an CDMA version some day, or they could wait for LTE.

Android is now beating the iphone OS in the US for market share...
The NPD report managed to make Apple spin-meisters talk
This is a very limited report on 150,000 US consumers responding to an online survey and does not account for the more than 85 million iPhone and iPod touch customers worldwide. IDC figures show that iPhone has 16.1 percent of the smartphone market and growing, far outselling Android on a worldwide basis. We had a record quarter with iPhone sales growing by 131 percent and with our new iPhone OS 4.0 software coming this summer, we see no signs of the competition catching up anytime soon.
Apple brushes off NPD's smartphone report, says it sees 'no signs of the competition catching up anytime soon' -- Engadget

Comments from Engadget
In other words, Apple's not disputing NPD's report here -- rather, they're simply trying to change the subject, as any properly-trained PR department would. There's no question Android still has an uphill battle to dominate market (and mind) share the world over, but the odds that it outsold the iPhone in the US in Q1 remain very real.
And from Ars
It's possible that Apple will retake second place with the release of the next-generation iPhone this summer, but in the long run, Apple may always trail in terms of market share.

Just look at the browser market, for Pete's sake...

Diogen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts