Looks Like Lin is back!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
DISH issues Statement on possible LIN Media dispute

DISH NETWORK ISSUES STATEMENT ON LIN MEDIA RETRANSMISSION NEGOTIATIONS

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. – Feb. 28, 2011 – DISH Network L.L.C. issued the following statement about its ongoing retransmission negotiations with LIN Media regarding continued carriage of local channels in 17 markets:

“LIN Media, a corporate media conglomerate, is threatening to block DISH Network customers from watching its local channels in 17 markets across the country. LIN Media is demanding more than a 140 percent rate hike and other burdensome contract terms that ultimately will result in higher prices for consumers. We are pleased the FCC is meeting this week to seek changes to the outdated retransmission consent process. In the meantime, DISH Network is diligently negotiating with LIN Media, and we’re hopeful we can reach a fair agreement.”

My local LIN Media station has a page up about the dispute: DISH Network Retransmission Dispute

They say that the rate would be pennies a day per subscriber. They don't say how much Dish pays now or how much they want Dish to pay. I would think that most of the expenses of having local channels on Dish would be on Dish's end. They are the ones that have to pick up the signal, uplink it, and broadcast it to the subscribers. LIN Media should be glad they are carried on Dish.

My local LIN Media station has a page up about the dispute: DISH Network Retransmission Dispute

They say that the rate would be pennies a day per subscriber. They don't say how much Dish pays now or how much they want Dish to pay. I would think that most of the expenses of having local channels on Dish would be on Dish's end. They are the ones that have to pick up the signal, uplink it, and broadcast it to the subscribers. LIN Media should be glad they are carried on Dish.
exactly... if dish does cave LIN should remove all local crawls for the dish customers who like me could care less what happens 300 miles away...

I looked at the map and thought OMG DFW is about to lose channels. Then I read where they are it's Austin. Who ever drew that map must have been slapped up side the head.

From the website of WIVB/WLNO Buffalo, NY...........

On March 4, 2011, DISH’s contract to carry WIVB-TV and CW23 WNLO-TV will expire. Please know that we are working hard to reach a new agreement with DISH so you will not lose your favorite programming. If we do not reach an agreement, by law, DISH cannot carry our television stations on its satellite system.

Our stations are important assets to the local community. Without a fair agreement, we will not be able to provide the premiere news, sports, entertainment, weather, traffic updates, political coverage and other local and national programming that is most important to you.

In the event that we are no longer carried by DISH, viewers may continue to watch their favorite local programming through alternative means, including over-the-air or by switching to a competing pay-TV provider.

Our primary commitment is to our viewers, and we regret if this situation inconveniences you. Call DISH and tell them you don’t want to lose WIVB-TV and CW23 WNLO-TV and all of your favorite programming. You can reach DISH by calling 1-800-333-DISH.

On March 4th, you could lose your favorite programming…

KNOW THE FACTS!

DISH’s contract to carry WIVB-TV and CW23 WNLO-TV expires on March 4, 2011. Our parent company, LIN Media, is working hard to reach a long-term agreement with DISH. If we do not reach an agreement with DISH by March 4th, by law, DISH cannot carry our television stations on its satellite system.

Question: Why have you not yet reached an agreement with DISH?

Answer: DISH profits by including local broadcast stations like ours in its line-up. Like any other business, DISH should pay fair market value for the ability to resell our stations’ programming to you. Remember, DISH already charges you for our local programming as part of your monthly bill.

Question: What do you mean by fair compensation?

Answer: The fair compensation we are asking for amounts to pennies a day per subscriber, which is actually much less than what cable and satellite companies pay for cable networks that you may or may not watch. Our stations are important assets to our local community. They are consistently ranked among the most-watched television channels, in part because we provide local news, programming and information that cable networks don’t offer. Local broadcasters around the country are fighting for fair compensation and an even playing field with cable networks so that we can continue to provide you premiere news, sports, entertainment, weather, traffic updates, political coverage and other local and national programming that is most important to you.

Question: So, what are my options?

Answer: It is important to know that you have many choices! You can switch to a competing pay-TV service provider that values broadcast programming or you can view us for free and in high definition over-the-air by using an antenna.

Question: What can I do in the meantime?

Answer: Call 1-800-333-DISH and tell DISH that you don’t want to lose WIVB-TV and CW23 WNLO-TV and all of your favorite programming.

To contact us, please email keepWIVBTVonDISH@wivb.com or keepWNLOTVonDISH@wnlo.com

Here in Connecticut we would lose our ABC affiliate. Luckily I get ABC from Springfield Mass via OTA as well. :D

Looks like they also own WCTX which I believe is My Network Television as well, so I would be losing 2 channels.

Pennies per day per subscriber. ALL subscribers? Not just the ones who actually watch? The mere fact that they may reach X thousand people hardly qualifies them for a head tax on all of them.

This kind of extortion is why FCC is about to go into the retrans consent. In that it is saying that a station can't pull it and there has to be negotiations between the 2 parties.

We lost thses same stations for over a month a couple of years back when they had a carriage dispute with Crime Warner. WIVB is the CBS affilliate and WLNO is the CW affilliate in BUF. Outside of NFL football I dont think either were missed...at least in my house. The importance of local content like news is way overblown here in the Internet age when even the local snoozepaper is offering video related to big stories. Ill go FTA for football (assuming the Bills put a team on the field worth watching). Go ahead, pull your channel from Dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts