Looks like NBC is coming through in HD now!!??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rdinkel

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 13, 2004
Woodland Park, Colorado
Testing NBC NY in HD now!!??

Jay Leno show appeared to be in HD on channel 241. Looked to be as clear as CBS HD. Watched on 6000u with 829 software. What gives?? Whatever it is, I like it!! :D

Well, wife switched channels to watch Jay Leno. I looked up from computer, and noted how unusually sharp the picture was. Wife agreed. I then moved closer to watch myself. It was a really clear picture, but in 4:3 without the light color side bars. I switched over to CBS HD to compare with Tonight Show. Wife and I both agreed NBC on 241 was about the same. So after watching Jay Leno a few more minutes, I decided to check the other national feeds I receive. However, only that one channel/show appeared to be in HD (or at least HD quality). After Jay Leno ended, the picture went back to normal SD appearance. I Posted this thread in hopes someone could explain what was going on. FYI, we were watching on our Loewe Aconda 38" CRT. That set does a good job even with SD feeds, but this was extraordinary for/if SD.

Almost certainly it was some brief blip in the bitrate. Every SD channel is capable of approaching DVD quality if allocated enough bandwidth. I've recorded movies on my DVR that had outstanding clarity, in fact I have two brief 3 minute snippets from movies that were getting great bandwidth, keeping them around just for comparison sake.

Next thing you know they will offer a package where you will be able to get a better picture quality for an X amount.

SimpleSimon said:
Significantly viewed has nothing to do with picture quality. :cool:

Totally unrelated, and I can't even begin to imagine how you could connect them.

There is that minium bandwidth requirment thing but I think that just means the the associated non SV station can't be reduced to less than the SV station if they are going to carry the SV station.

Personally I think that although disguised as a pro consumer rule, it's nothing more than an attempt to discourage carriage of SV by satellite.

It's typical of the "giveth with one hand and taketh away with the other legislation we've been seeing like them saying the HD DNS could be provided to "unserved" viewers but then never appropiatly defining "unserved".

waltinvt said:
There is that minium bandwidth requirment thing but I think that just means the the associated non SV station can't be reduced to less than the SV station if they are going to carry the SV station.
The key word that they use is, "not" so actually the satellite Companies can take advantage. However #93 does require satellite carriers to comply with "equivalent" and "entire bandwidth" but with what regard to compression, it is smokey.

SimpleSimon said:
Significantly viewed has nothing to do with picture quality.

Totally unrelated, and I can't even begin to imagine how you could connect them.

Sorry SimpleSimon there is a direct connection to significantly viewed and it is related in that NBC is significantly viewed and is carried by E* and they do transmit to qualified viewers. SHVERA is a hard read and is subject to varied opinions and conclusions.

boy921 said:
<snip....> SHVERA is a hard read and is subject to varied opinions and conclusions.

and that's no accident - it's just the latest strategy being used by lawmakers to achieve what lobbyists & special interests (the ones that really pay their salary) want without alienating too many voters.

Present the legislation as one thing on the surface but make the fine print so ambiguous it can be manipulated by "rules" & clarifications anyway they want later.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts