Looks like no Dish and no Voom for me :-(

Hoopnoop

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 15, 2004
I'm a former Voomer and recently signed up for Dish looking forward to getting the former Voom channels as well as the high PQ I've heard about on the other Dish HD channels. I was also excited about getting my 942 and all of its capabilities! Well, turns out that I have no line of site for the main Dish satellite. I can get the 61.5 satellite but that's it. So, looks like no Dish and no Voom for me.

Luckily I do have a decent HD cable line-up in my area through Adelphia with good PQ. And Verizon Fios is coming. But I have to say that its not a good feeling to be with cable.

The trees are about 200 years old and not on my property - don't think the town would like me taking them down.

Guess I could just subscribe to the channels on 61.5 but there is not much there except the voom channels.

Hoopnoop said:
I'm a former Voomer and recently signed up for Dish looking forward to getting the former Voom channels as well as the high PQ I've heard about on the other Dish HD channels. I was also excited about getting my 942 and all of its capabilities! Well, turns out that I have no line of site for the main Dish satellite. I can get the 61.5 satellite but that's it. So, looks like no Dish and no Voom for me.

Luckily I do have a decent HD cable line-up in my area through Adelphia with good PQ. And Verizon Fios is coming. But I have to say that its not a good feeling to be with cable.

If I were you ,I would get a second sight survey done. Allot of installers get paid in beans and are over welmed buy there work load. Some will say NLOS just to get off to the next job so the can get home before nine aclock at night. When I was doing installations for a living I received many calls from customers claiming the same thing just to find out the installer just didn't want to put a little extra effort into the install. just my 2 cents.

You might do what I do ... just use the 61.5 dish for the VOOM channels, and get that from Dish a la carte, then use cable for your other HD and SD. That's assuming you have a decent cable service. Adelphia has a good setup in my part of VA, even has ESPN2! And my cable SD is far superior to dish, and ... I get HD locals (except one network).

That sounds like a good plan Wally. But don't you have to pay for the HD pack in order to get the voom channels? I think I read somewhere that you can get just the HDs plus Voom but you have to pay around $20 a month. Is that what you have? Also, are you able to integrate you cable stuff into your Dish receiver or do you need two separate receivers?

Thanks for the advice!

I may be able to get it towards the back of my roof. The problem he mentioned was that that part of the roof is metal. Says he's not allowed to attach a dish to a metal roof for some reason.

I think the cheapest you can go to get the Voom channels is to subscribe only to the HD programming and then add Voom. The total cost should be:

$5 basic programming fee
$10 HD channels
$5 Voom channels

If you have a DVR then that would increase things further.

Do I have that right Wally or is their a cheaper way to go? If this is the case then I don't see spending $20 plus dollars just to get the Voom channels.

If he can get it from the back of the roof, and the roof is metal. They have to use a non-penatrating roof mount. Make them come back or get a local retailer that is more motivated to get the job done.

What they say is 100% true. I had an installer tell me NLOS for a must carry once.

I then told him that I had previously had a dish in the same spot, I just wanted the free switch.

He got upset and said that he would just have to prove to me there was no line of sight. He peeked the dish at 115 %

But, I do feel sorry for these guys who get up before daybreak and get home at night.

miguelaqui said:
He peeked the dish at 115 %.

DISH signal strengths are not percentages.

miguelaqui said:
But, I do feel sorry for these guys who get up before daybreak and get home at night.

I agree about the long hours. The guy that did my install has to be at his first appointment at 8. His company schedules up to 4 appointments for EACH block: the morning block (8-1) and the afternoon block (1-6). My appointment took half of the afternoon block. I can't imagine when he finally finished for the day. And they get lunch only if they get done early with the morning block.

To answer question to me...
My bill with all charges, fees, is about $25.
That is with HD pack, superstation pack, and VOOM channels.
I CAN get 110/119, so I get TNT-HD etc, (which cable does not have yet).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)