LoS installation issues - how to proceed?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dboyles

Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
Mississippi
I'm a novice to the satellite game, but I'm picking things up pretty quickly as I go along. That said, I don't pretend to be an expert.

I ordered DirecTV and the installer came out today. Nice guy, seemed to have a pretty good idea what he was doing, but he didn't strike me as a seasoned veteran. He surveyed the property and the best he could find was a single spot that still wouldn't work without trimming some tree branches (which is feasible). But really if I'm going to that much trouble I'd prefer to have the dish in a less conspicuous spot. He called his supervisor and I confirmed that he had explained the issues to me, and the installer left. The order was canceled, so I'm not sure how to go from here.

Through my reading here and elsewhere, it seems that most installation techs are generally pretty conservative when it comes to surveying for a mounting location, and that's understandable. At the same time, I feel like an experienced installer could work with me to find a suitable spot and help me minimize the amount of work that I need to do to make it workable.

I'm looking for advice on how to proceed from here. Should I call D*, explain, and ask them to send a supervisor out? Or should I take it upon myself to contact a local installer? A DIY installation isn't entirely out of the question if it wouldn't require $$$ worth of specialized tools, but given my time constraints it may be better left to the pros.

If it helps, my ZIP is 39759 (Starkville, MS), and you can find a picture of the LoS issues here: picklematrix[dot]org/temp/directv_trees[dot]jpg

That picture was taken from my preferred location (give or take), facing south(ish). The installer said that the first satellite would be blocked by the long, tall limb on the left.

Much thanks for any advice!

First off - WELCOME!

...and yes, many are very conservative, BUT looking at that picture without leaves, may turn out to be a real no-no spot after they come back in, I took the liberty of uploading here for others to see; easier.

Attachments

• directv_trees.jpg
    directv_trees.jpg
    474.7 KB · Views: 233
dboyles,

:welcome to the site, look around , stay awhile !!!

I would call D* and have them come out again, you never seem to get the same guy twice anyways, see what a second opinion gets you.

As for the position you have posted, are there any other locations possible.
Depending on how your trees grow in, you may have problems in the spring to fall seasons, but you would be the one to know how much growth you have there.

IF you have D* come out again and they still cannot find a spot, then I would try a local guy, D* would be free, I believe, a local guy may charge a service call... If D* does it, the install, (Dish, wiring, Multiswitch ect. ) is free, if an independant comes out, you may have to pay for the equipment.

Jimbo

Thanks for the feedback - sounds like I need to give D* a call today. I'm not opposed to mounting it somewhere other than my ideal location, but given that I'd need to do some tree pruning even to mount it anywhere, hopefully another installer will find a spot that doesn't put it smack in the middle of my back yard.

Minor update:

I called D* and explained, and they said that they'd send an installer out to give me a second opinion. We're scheduled for Thursday (the 13th). I don't want this to turn into a long-term process, so...

I grabbed the phone book and called a local satellite place. Spoke with the owner (it's a small operation), told him what's going on, and asked if he'd mind checking it out and letting me know if I have any options with him. He said sure, he'd try to get by today (big plus). Hypothetically speaking, if he says that we can make it work, any chance that D* would pick up the bill for installation?

I'm at the stage now where I definitely want D* service, but if it's not feasible I'd like to know ASAP so I can move on... and I'm hopeful that if it means the difference between landing a new customer and not, that D* will go the extra mile.

I doubt they would pay a 3rd party install cost. Even if the directv tech installs it, they will charge for pole mount, and will charge for burying wire.

Sounds like it will cost something any way you go, given the limited options you have with the trees.

I'd get a quote from the 3rd party guy, and then wait until the D* tech comes out, see whos it more reasonable.

I'd get a quote from the 3rd party guy, and then wait until the D* tech comes out, see whos it more reasonable.

That sounds like good advice.

The local guy came out and agreed that it would have to be pretty precise placement, and that he'd come back out early next week with a dish to see if he can get a signal. The bad news: Turns out he's a Dish dealer (although his ad in the Yellow Pages had D* too), and I'd really prefer to go with D*.

I'll get it worked out. I've gone this many years without HD and DVR; I can probably wait another week.

dboyles, make sure that when the next guy comes out, you ask for a second opinion if he can't find a line of sight for you. i work the starkville area, and our supervisor is very good at finding any and all possibilities for you. just make sure they don't cancel the job, just put it on hold for a second opinion.
also, borrow the tech's inclonometer for a few seconds and let him tell you the exact angles he needs to have clear. together you may find the perfect location.

Time to update my D* quest.

The tech is scheduled to come out tomorrow morning and do the install, but I'm still not sold on putting a pole+dish in the middle of my yard (and still having to trim some branches).

I'd like to investigate doing a multi-dish (two) install, and probably in doing it myself in order to do it right and to avoid spending a fortune on a professional custom installation. The problem is, I have no idea where to start. If someone can point me in the right direction, I'd be immensely appreciative.

The immediate questions I have are:
  1. What do I need to do to get the hardware (dishes, receivers) from D*?
  2. What special tools will I need?
  3. Is this even possible/feasible or am I nuts?
Thanks!

What is there on the opposite side of the house? Take some pics and post them. If you're getting HD you need a MINIMUM 20 degree opening, preferably with +-5 degrees on either side. You're elevation setting will be a little higher since you are farther south, that may or may not help your situation. We're told we have to guarantee service for one year or we aren't suppose to install it. Which is probably why the tech was a little hesitant. He did the right thing by calling his supervisor AND if his sup concurred then it's done. Supervisor will find any way possible to get a job in. It affect their bottom line if they don't. So if he agreed with the tech, and if that spot is the best location and it still has issues, then you have some things to think about. And not just "trimming", from those pictures one or both of those two trees needs to be seriously shortened to open a good sustainable line of sight. The over hanging limbs for sure, but possible down to the crowns, I can't tell how high they are. Comes down to how badly do you want direct, and what are you willing to do? I will tell you Dish won't be able to get LOS from that spot as it is right now either. Some things to think about. Can it go on the house anywhere? With that amount of tree coverage, the higher up you go, and the further back from the trees you get, the better off you'll be.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts