LOS issues: installing two Dish 500 dishes w/ single lnbf's for 110&119?

dbiggs

Original poster
Oct 21, 2010
Seattle
I've already made one stupid mistake (thinking I just needed a LOS on 148 azimuth magnetic as my receiver and dish manual advised, when actually you apparently need LOS to each different satellite - 145.2 and 157.3 magnetic in my case), and I was hoping you guys could confirm my thinking before I screw up again. So...

Because of tree growth I've lost my sat 119 reception. And after having built a simple sight with a piece of pipe, compass and inclinometer I now believe I have two options. Run a 150' or so of cable underground through very rocky soil and across a fairly substantial creek (somehow) to one location, or put two dishes on my roof in different places shooting up through the one clean gap through the trees I do have. But I'm still unclear on a few points. And I would appreciate any advice or links you might have. I haven't been able to find much on this setup.

using the 2-500 Dishes with a SINGLE LNB on each into a SW 21 switch can work also. when using the SW21, the SINGLE LNBS must also be LEGACY, they cant be the ones with the black DISH Logo on them. They must be the ones with NO LOGO on them.
Q.) I currently have a Dish 625 (dual tuner) dvr/receiver, and a 500 dish with a DP Plus AK72-BTE lnbf. Do I really want to use "legacy single" lnbf's and this switch? Will I be able to record something and watch another channel on the same satellite with this setup? Or do I need to get a legacy or Plus (single satellite) 'Dual' lnbf to do that (and another type of switch too, presumably).

I do take it, however, that I will be replacing the dish 'Y' brackets with 'I' brackets, pointing the dish(s) directly at the satellites, and setting the skew to 90 degrees.

If you dont have the 110 dish initially pointed pretty close to the 110 sat, the reciver will never detect it and you will never be able to tune it in using the reciever.
Q.) This was from an old post. Is this still true? I seemed to able to set the receiver installation screen to the correct satellite, have a friend swing the dish, pick up the signal, and then press "Test" to have the satellite recognized. But I admit I could never get a signal on sat 119. Although I suspect that was only because I (still) didn't have LOS on it.

Q.) I currently have two coaxial cables running from the dish lnbf, and they terminate in a very simple - what appears to be - grounding bracket only. One line then goes through a 'Diplexer' (I take it this is just to add a normal TV antenna feed), and the other line simply terminates at the grounding bracket. So my current lnbf has a built in 'switch', but the two dish setup would require an offboard switch I would plug both feeds into? And then still have a single 'out' line as I have now?

Oh well, I really was trying to keep this brief. Thanks for any help you might offer. I appreciate it.

P.S. - a) After some repeated horrible experiences my closest neighbors had, I'm really down on so called 'professional' satellite installers. It seems like these guys just want to come out and collect their $250, work for half an hour, and then throw up their hands and say "you can't get satellite TV" when everything doesn't go easy for them. So...here I am. And,

b) I'm not going for HDTV yet. Maybe in five years or so. And it does look like getting sat 129 may be a whole new can of worms for me, too.

I have pretty much the same setup you are going for. I use DP lnb's on each dish. You can use a single or dual. I have each coax going into a dpp33 switch and a single coax out to the receiver. Hope this helps you out.

with legacy you need 2 wires to the receiver, with dish pro you only need one wire when used with the dpp33 switch and a dpp separator at the receiver.
my cottage install is the same as yours and I also use the set-up the last post...

GL

Ok all you need is another dish with a Dish Pro Single or Dual LNB. Point your Dish500 with the DishPro Plus LNB to pick up 119. Point the new dish at 110. Run a single line from your 110 dish into the input on the DPP dish pointed at 119. Run one line from the output of the DPP to your 625. Run a check switch on your 625 and you should be good to go.

P.S. - a) After some repeated horrible experiences my closest neighbors had, I'm really down on so called 'professional' satellite installers. It seems like these guys just want to come out and collect their $250, work for half an hour, and then throw up their hands and say "you can't get satellite TV" when everything doesn't go easy for them. So...here I am.

Here is the problem, and the Satco's fail to realize it. No installer is making $250 on a job. Infact most installer make far less than half that for a 4 room install. As such they can not get "Professional" installer any longer. Most have left for better paying or less stressful jobs.

Thanks LF. Using the parts I do have it looks like you saved me $90 or thereabouts. And thanks too mack and knotle. If you're going from scratch the setup you guys used would probably be best.

I do hope this post will show up in Google, and perhaps help others as well. Salute.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)