LOS : Line Of Sight Discussion for all ...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jayelem

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 5, 2006
Chicago suburbs.
What's your LOS ?

If you have a motorized setup how much of the Clarke belt can you see ?

Trees in the way , do you need a Chainsaw ?

Got a Penthouse View - Horizon to Horizon Dream LOS - Do tell .

Who has gotten the lowest bird in the sky , elevation under 10 degrees please .

Got a neat story or figured out a way of gaining an extra bird (sat) by ingenious plan like blowing up a hill or cutting down a tree , or maybe mounting a dish on your chimney.

Now you know not everyone will have the same but there should be bonus points depending on location. Obviously someone in Texas will have the opportunity for a better LOS than someone in MN ;)

What's your LOS ?
30 to 148W

43W-148W....the motor hits the mast when going to 30W

no trees in way

Got a Penthouse View - Horizon to Horizon Dream LOS - Do tell .
just lucky...having a TS at 93W which is almost 1/2 way between the main clark belt for us in the US.

Who has gotten the lowest bird in the sky , elevation under 10 degrees please .
Hispasat...9 elevation here in MN...dish looks like its at the ground (pic below)

Got a neat story or figured out a way of gaining an extra bird (sat) by ingenious plan like blowing up a hill or cutting down a tree , or maybe mounting a dish on your chimney.
my C-Band dish is limited to 87 to 107 so to get the western satellites I have a 2nd C-Band dish. I wheel it out of the garage and aim it that way. Use ot put the receiver and TV on the tailgate of the truck but now I have an old microwave cart out there :)

1st 2 are Hispasat & last 3 are the C-band dish outside

Attachments

• 000_0152.jpg
    000_0152.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 226
  • 000_0153.jpg
    000_0153.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 246
  • 000_0489.jpg
    000_0489.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 219
  • 000_0490.jpg
    000_0490.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 185
  • 000_0493.jpg
    000_0493.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 238
I'm in eastern Pennsylvania. I'm pulling in everything from AMC8 (139W) to AMC6 (72W). Can't go farther East due to my house blocking it. I'm putting a second dish up the hill behind the house with an H-H mount to solve that problem.

Speaking of trees, yes, I did saw down a white pine tree that had gone crazy (18inch growth a year) and blocked everything from 133W on west. Wife wasn't pleased but she got over it. :)

Atlantic Bird 1 to AMC 7 (ku)
AMC 6 to AMC 7 (C band)

If I walk to my neighbors house, I can hit Echostar 1 but a tree is in my way at my house

2 - C/Ku dishes with 30W - 148W
4 - C/Ku dishes with 43W - 148W
1 - motorized Ku dish 30W - 148W

30W is 13.9 degrees elevation here.

Never tried for anything lower, but could probably go down to 12 degrees if I had the right setup to pick up the signals on circular C-Band satellites. :)

From my dish locations I can "see" 72W-137W, then I get into trees either way.

I will be taking out the one that is limiting me on the east, that should allow sight to around 60W. Don't think I can do much to improve my LOS to the west.

I have plenty of spots with a clear line of sight, entire Ark. I use 2 motorized ku 1.2m dishes on the entire Ark. I have 2 C-Band dishes, setup for the Western Ark, from AMC6 @ 72.0w to AMC8 @ 139.0w, one is in an entire Ark spot, the other is next to or near a tree and will only get the Western Ark. I have a 5' H-H (former fixed) C-Band dish (used primarily for experimental purposes) sitting in an entire Ark spot, idol at the moment while I enjoy my laziness. I also have several (well maybe not several, but some) fixed dishes in more convenient spots, but they don't need the entire Ark. The lowest sats I get are AMC8 @ 139.0w with an elevation about 20.5 on my west, and Hispasat @ 30.0w with an elevation about 21.7 on my east. I have thought of trying to reach a little further and lower in both directions, just haven't took the time yet.........

My LOS is from 30.0 w to 129.0 w (it's in my signature)
Unfortunately I only get 129.0 west after the leaves fall off my neighbors tree and anything further west is blocked by the same tree or my house .

I'm currently working on getting some lower Atlantic Sats , my Stab motor will not go Easterly past 30.0 west and in the distance I have trees and a nice clearing that I'm hoping will help me.

Armed with a lenticular compass and a magnetic angle finder I have that think I can mentality , I wont know till I try it and that might just be this weekend .

What I'm aiming for.

NSS 7 @ 22.0 west 9.2 Elevation
Telstar 12 @ 15.0 west 4.0 Elevation
Atlantic Bird @ 12.5 West 2.2 Elevation

Ill be happy to get any of these.

30W-127W on my motorized dish (winter) 43W-127W (summer)

I should theoretically be able to get 148 from a couple spots on my property if i shoot between the trees.

What's your LOS ?

About 58W to 123W, but I'm hoping I'll be able to get the new bird at 125 without too many headaches.

Ditto.

I have the neighbor's vines on the west (where a chainsaw would be nice) and my house on the east (where a chainsaw would get me in serious trouble with the landlord)

What I need to ensure a little more view on both sides is:

-Boost the dish a little higher on the clothesline pole.
-Poison the vines this winter before they bloom.
-Concoct an alibi regarding reasons for purchasing weed killers in case receipts are found.

On the East I have confirmed 43 and to the West I have locked White Springs. The dishpointer says I cannot get further East, but I have gotten signal at least two more east, but no lock. I know I can go further West, but have not tried yet. Too many as it is to watch. When I get all my things moved into the building, I may take the time to see how much more I can get. For the East, I may play with a dish on the roof of the furthest NE building. That would give me another 35 feet of elevation!

I have thought about having a "Field Day" on the property and have people come up and see what they could get! But they would have to bring their own ground anchors.

My quest for Telstar 12

Yesterdays mild temperatures in the Midwest made for a good day of bird hunting , Telstar 12 that is ..... quite a elusive bird if you ask me especially since the elevation is around 4 degrees for me.

First time using my 3ABN Azure Shine 90cm dish mounted on the brick wall of my house , heavier than my 90cm fortec I quickly found out I would need the additional support arms for the mast.

My problem was that since the dish elevation bracket doesn't go below 10 degrees I decided to give my mast a -20 degree inclination that way I'd have room to play with , the support arms included were for keeping the mast at a 90 degree angle so I ditched them and improvised with another set of supports from another mount that I had.

I now had my dish pointing lower and my CS5K on a selected Transponder with my analog meter chirping away , fine tuned -adjust knob - continue fine tuning - continue knob adjustment but never getting (GREEN) a quality signal.

BTW eventhough my Dish elevation bracket only goes to 10 degrees I found out a little too late that the dish will hit the mast before getting to 10 degrees leaving me thinking if maybe I should've lowered the mast even more to offset the difference.

Spent 2-3 hours on the porch roof ( willing to spend more )with many doubts , my compass heading contradicts Satellite Finder / Dish Pointing Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com by about 5 degrees which is enough to be blocked by trees , I am now hoping that the leaves drop sooner to see if that is the case , honestly I wouldn't mind having this bird just for for 5-6 months if that's my only solution.

Will keep trying and will post more info.

vfrjim if you have any strong live transponders for atlantic bird 1 @ 12.5 and NSS 7 @ 22.0 , it will give me other frequencies to play with , leaving you a PM also.

Well, I got out my transit/level and checked the horizon to the east I can see to -5°. To the west, only +28° or so. The wind started blowing harder and it was 40° in temp so bones were chilled in a hurry. I was only about 40 inches off the ground which is about 10 inches lower than my lowest dish edge so far.

I live in the mountain time zone.

Primary steerable dish:
89W to 170W on C/Ku/DBS/Ka

Secondary steerable dish:
70W to 139W on C/Ku (year-round)
58W to 139W on C/Ku (winter)

Trees are limiting factors for both dishes, and since they are neighbor's trees, I have no control about removal or trimming to give a more fuller arc to either dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)