LOS question?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Zenmaster

Original poster
May 15, 2013
LA county California
How can I find out if I have proper LOS? I am interested in an HD package. I live on a golf course and there is a net and some trees behind me but lower on the horizon. I downloaded an app on IOS and attached a pic but I have no clue what satellites are what. Is there a better IOS app or can someone translate this picture for me? This picture is taken from my patio where the satellite would go.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 163
Satellite AR works well and is a free app. You need to find the Directv satellites at 99, 101, and 103, at least. If you want extra music channels, then you need 119 also.
Edit: I did some checking. Galaxy 16 is at 99 which is where the eastern most Directv satellite is. AMC1 is at 103, which is the western most you will likely need. Based on the picture you posted, you have an excellent line of sight to the satellites.

Last edited:
Satellite AR works well and is a free app. You need to find the Directv satellites at 99, 101, and 103, at least. If you want extra music channels, then you need 119 also.
Edit: I did some checking. Galaxy 16 is at 99 which is where the eastern most Directv satellite is. AMC1 is at 103, which is the western most you will likely need. Based on the picture you posted, you have an excellent line of sight to the satellites.

Thanks for your help. I'll be setting up my account online today and ordering a tripod or something else to mount it on also.

How can I find out if I have proper LOS? I am interested in an HD package. I live on a golf course and there is a net and some trees behind me but lower on the horizon. I downloaded an app on IOS and attached a pic but I have no clue what satellites are what. Is there a better IOS app or can someone translate this picture for me? This picture is taken from my patio where the satellite would go.

If your aim is correct, you have plenty of vertical clearance. However, you must be aware that your antenna must be able to 'see' three orbital slots....99, 101 and 103. All are roughly the same elevation. And perhaps a 10 degree spread.
Unless the golf course raises the net, you should be good to go. Now, do you or your neighbors find many golf balls in your yards? Or have any neighbors complained about same? Reason I ask is of there is a potential that the course may raise the net to keep their property on THEIR property, you may have an issue. If not, no worries. Unless that is a special magic net that grows each year....Just a little humor there.

I wonder if a net like that would adversely affect the signal strength?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)