Lose satellites almost every night

dhadik

Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
Pennsylvania
I recently switched from 2 dish 500 dishes to a 1000.2 dish. Since then, I lose all three satellites sometime overnight. When I turn the tv on in the morning my 722 is cycling through the three satellites (129, 119, 110) and can't lock onto any of them. Cycling power or hitting reset makes no difference, but if I unhook the cable for a second the system finds the satellites immediately. Then the guide has to completely reload. My guide selection is also reset to all channels instead of my favorites. There have been a couple of times when the tv was fine in the morning, and I think it had to do with shows recording overnight. I have tried to replicate it by recording different time blocks overnight, but so far it hasn't worked. Maybe tonight I'll just record shows all night to see if this makes a difference. I didn't have this problem when using the dish 500's, so I assume it has to do with the 1000.2. I also don't have a problem if the TV is off all day. Is there a certain time in the middle of the night when there is some type of system reset? Any thoughts? Thanks for any help.

There is a default setting for your receiver to take updates, it is 3:00am (menu, 8, 4).
I think this would have to do more with a bad line or power to the receiver. Is this plugged into a power strip or directly into the outlet? If your receiver is resetting all info ("SUB" versus "ALL CHAN" in guide), there may be a problem with the receiver.

Is it plugged into a switched power outlet, like for a lamp?
Or is it on a power strip with a feature like turning off one outlet turns off the others, a power-saver?
Turning on the TV should show the screensaver/black-screen message board.
Go to Menu+6+1+3 to check signal levels on 3 satellites and 4 transponders each. 129 should only show one TP.
Also checking Menu+6+3+counters gives info like when it was rebooted and when it last called out.
-Ken

My receiver is plugged into a battery backup power supply that filters the electricity and keeps the voltage at a constant level. There is no switch that runs to that outlet and if by some means power cut out to the receiver, the battery backup would continue to run for at least an half hour, and there would be a beeping sound that would alert me to the power loss. The power supply doesn't turn off by itself or have a power saving mode. When I turn on the tv in the morning, the screensaver is on. When I press "select" or "on", a page comes up cycling through each satellite, and underneath that it says "progress 0 of 5". It remains at 0 of 5 until I unhook the cable and then immediately begins to count to 5 of 5. After that a page displays status of loading the guide and that it might take 5 minutes. This is the information from menu+6+1+3 Status-good STB health lite Tuner 0 orbital 14 15 16 21 110 61 59 64 64 119 47 44 50 45 129 0 2 0 59 Tuner 1 Orbital 14 15 16 21 110 55 58 64 62 119 42 42 48 43 129 0 2 0 59 As far as calling out, the receiver is not hooked to a phone line or internet, so it can't call out.

The signal levels for 110 are way too low on both tuners--don't expect any difference between them. Levels of about 15 are barely useable. 129 is great--maybe too high causing 110 to be low, so check the skew and try to balance 110 with 129 without losing too much on 119.
-Ken

Ken, I'm not sure if the numbers were as clear after posted as when I typed them in. Let me see if I can show them again.
  • Tuner 0 orbital 14 15 16 21
  • 110- 61 59 64 64
  • 119- 47 44 50 45
  • 129- 0 2 0 59
I am assuming the numbers next to the word Orbital are transponder numbers, but I'm not sure. I am getting all my channels in clearly even though it has been raining on and off throughout the last couple of days.

Sorry, yes I had trouble reading the line although I should have gotten from the 14 15.... Those signals should be fine although a little elevation change (1 deg) should peak up 119 which has the 8-day guide and many SD nationals, IIRC. So problem unresolved. Mine are slightly lower, likely due to Dish 1000 small size not a 1000.2.
-Ken

Thank you everyone for your input. I am guessing it has to do with the LNB since that is the only thing different between the 1000.2 and the 500. I'll pick up another one sometime and see if it makes a difference.

if the power is shut off to that receiver overnight, then yes, you'll have to endure the loadup in the morning. but, when you say you have to unplug the cable and plug it back in to make it start cycling from 0 up to 5, that sounds like a short in the cable or a bad connection somewhere. one bad cable end somewhere in your instalation can do this to you. i would check all connections before replacing the lnb.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts