Losing Locals Every night @ 9pm

tfhcolumbia

Original poster
Nov 5, 2005
I've got a 301 and a 508, with a dish500, and both lose our locals out of Kansas City every night around 9 (give or take 10 minutes). After a couple of hours they come back. These are the only channels we lose, every other channel is OK, including Fox LA and Fox Chicago. I've got a signal in the 80's on 110 and 119. Any ideas?

Hi welcome to the sight! :) Your dish needs to be repointed.. as zandarkoad said. 80 is the minimual signal you should have on you weakest trasponder all others should be in the 90's to 100 range if not better.

He shouldnt loose signal though at a consistant time unless there is a nearby terrestrial disturbance such as an emergency services tower considering that he said the locals drop out at 9pm every night. %80 being the minimum standard is not low enough to allow for signal loss like he has because signal loss does not become evident from poor tuning until the signal is at or below %50 and weather conditions come into play such as wind or percipitation or cloud cover ect ect.

If you live on the fringe of the spotbeam that carries your locals, you will experience this problem. Has this been the case since you had your dish installed? Do you really live in the KC market?

I would bet its what Van was talking about, some kind of terrestrial interference. Thats like the guy that posted on here about him losing signal even on a clear day when he had good signal strength. Come to find out it was from his next door neighbors radar detector. It may not be a radar detector but its got to be some kind of interference or it wouldn't happen at the same time every night.

It would have to be a mammoth steam cloud to block the signal but its only effecting his locals so I think we are back to a terrestrial interferance issue. Every single one Ive seen that has effected the locals has been on superdishes except for 2 that were on d500's and one effected all channels even with new gear put in from one end to the other. But to humour me I would like the poster to look through his own home first and see what appliances come on at that time each night and right it down and when the appliance goes off and see if this coincides with the signal issue.

mikew said:
If you live on the fringe of the spotbeam that carries your locals, you will experience this problem. Has this been the case since you had your dish installed? Do you really live in the KC market?

Yes, I live on the eastern edge of the market. Here's what's really wierd, at 11pm every night, the signal comes back! This started last spring, and it went out from 10 to 12, but when the time changed last week my wife freaked when it faded out as Grey's Anatomy started at 9, but it came back right on cue at 11.

I'll just work on getting that signal up higher.

Some markets that have restrictive spot beams may require a larger dish to pull in locals. There is a greater flucuation with locals on 119 than 110. When I lived in Las Vegas, I could see a signal for LA most of the day, up to around 80. It would be gone at night, then I could see the Phoenix spot. The reason the time changed on this anomoly is because of Daylight Saving Time. Call Dish and ask them if they can get you a larger dish tofix your problem.

If it goes out then comes back on at the very same time each night then I would also think it was interference causing it. I would start looking to see if neighbors leave or come back at certain times or if there are any type of patterns causing it. I know that we had a garbage truck that would set off our motion sensor (in which we have a bell connected to it) each morning when it would come. They communicate back and forth with each other.

I have seen the same thing happen on the extreme edge of the spot beam. A 24 or 30" Dish should cure the problem. Take a look @ your signal strength when the signal drops off.

Stargazer said:
If it goes out then comes back on at the very same time each night then I would also think it was interference causing it. I would start looking to see if neighbors leave or come back at certain times or if there are any type of patterns causing it. I know that we had a garbage truck that would set off our motion sensor (in which we have a bell connected to it) each morning when it would come. They communicate back and forth with each other.

If this were the case, all channels would go out (not just locals).

Not necessarily if the locals are coming off of the 105/121 FSS satellite. We had issues here for a while with locals going out on everyone's dishes in an area (and the same thing happening in other areas of the country) at the very same time on different customer's systems.

Also different transponders have different frequencies and there are certain channels that operate off of certain transponders on particular satellites. If something is interfering then it could affect that certain set of transponder(as) but I think the FSS is the most susceptible for interference from what I have seen.

I'll second that, Ive seen radio towers for emergency and non emergency services disrupt channels on fss for locals in one area, indian channels in another, on d500's take out all channels periodicly one one system, cause rainbow color distortion on 2 locals in the 4 digit range on another, and cause pixeling and a/v mismatch on yet another. All of these systems I replaced every single part from one end to another, bypassed grounding ect ect ect, of all the fss systems I found 3 had electric wiring issues at the wall outlette or the whole house had electrical wiring issues.

If it comes off of 119 and all the other channels from 119 are coming in just fine then I would not know what it would be. It is not on a spotbeam since 119 is conus. Have you asked your neighbors that has the same service as you if theirs goes out as well? If you want to rule out the hardware as being bad then you could take your receiver to a friend's house that has the same setup to see if it does it there, or better yet, have them bring their receiver to your house to see if the same thing happens there. If his receiver does the same thing at your house but not his then it may be the lnbf.

Stargazer said:
If it comes off of 119 and all the other channels from 119 are coming in just fine then I would not know what it would be. It is not on a spotbeam since 119 is conus.
Incorrect, 119 has spotbeams.
Kansas City Locals are on Spotbeam 9, TP 1 from E7 @ 119.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)