Losing Satellite with Locals

ktriebol

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 4, 2005
My neighbor has a super dish that gets 121, 110, and 119. He says that the satellite that carries his local stations will be shut down soon and the locals will be moved to a different satellite. I think his locals are on 121 now. I am going to help him get his dish changed over so it will accept the new satellite. We prefer doing these things ourselves rather than having a service technician come out. My questions are:
1. What new satellite will be carrying his locals?
2. What equipment will we need to make this change-over?

Note: We are located in northern Wisconsin.

Losing Locals

I may be wrong, but if Dish is taking locals off 121 wouldn't they replace the current receiver dish free?

The locals for Wisconsin will probably go to 129.

RickDee, as I said, we prefer to do this ourselves. You are probably correct in that the locals will be carried on 129. How do I go about changing this superdish so that it will receive 129 instead of 121? Can the 121 LNB just be re-aimed by shifting it on its mount, or do I need a new LNB and mount or what?

RickDee, as I said, we prefer to do this ourselves. You are probably correct in that the locals will be carried on 129. How do I go about changing this superdish so that it will receive 129 instead of 121? Can the 121 LNB just be re-aimed by shifting it on its mount, or do I need a new LNB and mount or what?
You will need to replace the 121 lnb. The 121 lnb is a special type. It will not be able to pick up 129. Search this site for "mad scientist" for details about converting a superdish.

Voyager6, I did the search that you mentioned and from that it seems that I need to get a DishPro Dual LNBF like this one: The Dish Store - Powered by Metro25

That LNB should be able to receive 129. I would think that the way to go about mounting it is to:
1. Remove the 121 LNB.
2. Mount the new LNB somehow in a flexible fashion.
3. Orient the new LNB so it receives 129 while not disturbing the dish position or the position of the 110 and 119 LNB's.
4. Once 129 is received on the new LNB, then fix that LNB in place.

Did I miss anything?

Use duct tape to temp attach the 129 lnb. You will then need to repeak the dish to get 129. After peaking 129, reattach the lnb with a plastic tie. That should do it.

If I repeak the dish as you say, won't that throw off 110 and 119? It seems to me that the dish should not be moved in order to preserve reception on 110 and 119.

not sure what receivers you are using with your system- I am in Montana and locals come on 110. 129 brings HD here.

if this is also the case in WI then all you have to do is get the Dish 500 and a DP Plus or Dual or whatever to fit you receiver config.

the Superdish is junk anyway so the sooner you move on the better.

if it happens that your locals are in fact on 129 then get the 1000.2, that will get 110, 119, and 129, at least thats what works here.

peak it on 119, with a clear LOS you should have no problem.

LMAO, it's free to have dish come out and retro fit your super dish or put up a 1000.2.

Unless you have something to hide, why not just let them do it?

Hi,
Your Wausau, WI locals are moving to 129.
In your location you would best be served by getting a second-hand DiSH 1000, or if you can find one cheaply, a DiSH 1000.2. I might also recommend a 24" or 30" dish you can find anywhere for $35 exclusively for 129 and just leave the SuperDiSH alone.

But as others have said you can search for "mad scientist" to see what you're going to have to do to your SuperDiSH to get it working with 110-119-129.
Please note that your SuperDiSH is currently "peaked" onto 121. It would need to have its skew, elevation, and azimuth all adjusted slightly and re-peaked onto 119, and then 110-129, in order to receive 129 effectively if you could somehow mount the 129 LNBF solidly enough.

And, hey, if you have the free visit from the installers, they might even leave behind a tool. I have a small collection.

**EDIT** Here is the thread that has all you need to know about modifying your SuperDiSH:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...usive-mad-scientist-129-both-superdishes.html

Last edited:
Thank you for all the helpful suggestions. I am sure the information you provided will allow us to get this dish changed over.

LMAO, it's free to have dish come out and retro fit your super dish or put up a 1000.2.

Unless you have something to hide, why not just let them do it?

No kidding. You'd be surprised by how many people end up calling us to send a tech after trying to do it themselves.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts