Loss of audio when moving from HD channel to SD

dmspen

Original poster
Feb 19, 2013
SF Bay Area
One of the strange things that happens to me is loss of audio when I switch from an HD to SD channel.
My Hopper output runs to a Pioneer Elite VSX21 receiver. To get the audio back, I have to switch receiver inputs which forces an HDMI handshake with the DISH receiver.

Anyone else notice this?

One of the strange things that happens to me is loss of audio when I switch from an HD to SD channel.
My Hopper output runs to a Pioneer Elite VSX21 receiver. To get the audio back, I have to switch receiver inputs which forces an HDMI handshake with the DISH receiver.

Anyone else notice this?

Try changing the audio option to PCM only and does the issue still continue? Are you going HDMI from hopper to pioneer to TV? Are you using an optical cable?

Anyone else notice this?

Not exactly the same thing, but whenever I am on a SD channel and I watch a DVR'd show and exit back to live TV I have no sound on any SD channels. I have to switch to an HD channel, then back to the SD channel to get sound back.

I have my Hopper connected to my TV via HDMI.

Not exactly the same thing, but whenever I am on a SD channel and I watch a DVR'd show and exit back to live TV I have no sound on any SD channels. I have to switch to an HD channel, then back to the SD channel to get sound back.

I have my Hopper connected to my TV via HDMI.

I have that problem as well. Have had for a long time...

Anyone else notice this?

It's not just the hopper that does it.I have the exact same issue with a 612,and Pioneer VSX522 receiver.Could be a Pioneer issue.

I have a very similar problem. When I'm FFing a recorded program, sometimes the audio will go out. I THOUGHT the only way to get it back was to turn off my receiver and then turn it back on. I've recently discovered that if I switch from my recorded program to an SD channel, the audio will come back. Then I can play my show again. While it is still very annoying, it is much less annoying than having to turn it off and then back on.

Any other tips to completely prevent this from happening?

I have the same problem with my Pioneer Elite sc-25 receiver. I believe that it's a Pioneer problem as I had the same issue from day 1 when I bought the receiver and had the VIP 722 (I still have the same problem with my Hopper). The easy fix for me has always been to cycle through the inputs on the receiver, then when I get back around to my dvr, the sd audio works fine! Hope this helps!

I have the same problem with my Pioneer Elite sc-25 receiver. I believe that it's a Pioneer problem as I had the same issue from day 1 when I bought the receiver and had the VIP 722 (I still have the same problem with my Hopper). The easy fix for me has always been to cycle through the inputs on the receiver, then when I get back around to my dvr, the sd audio works fine! Hope this helps!

This seems plausible. Running a DENON 4310ci receiver I've had zero issues & decoding between DD 5.1 on HD channels and whatever audio choice used for the stereo SD channels switches properly with no glitches.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk2

I have an older Pioneer Elite (VSX-92THX) and do not have any audio issues. I have only an HDMI cable connected from the satellite receiver to the Pioneer. The "Signal Select" options on this receiver are a bit strange but when set incorrectly result in no audio at all. I've found HDMI or AUTO/HDMI work fine. There is also a AUTO/PCM/HDMI mode that doesn't seem to work at all even with PCM audio from an SD channel.