Loss of educational channels over time

I'm starting this thread because we were discussing this in another thread that went political and got deleted. :(

Anyhow, there used to be science on the Science Channel, and for that matter most all the Discovery channels, as well as NatGeo and History. There used to be a great Discovery Health channel with many interesting programs. Sold to Oprah. :( I know another member mentioned Discovery Kids...

I also mentioned (in that other thread) that at least NOVA and Nature are still on PBS. Any other educational channels that aren't dominated by reality pap? (Oh, and I also insulted the viewing public for watching reality programs at all... I hope that wasn't why the thread was deleted.)

Ouch! You peeled the scab off, big time:)

I have the alleged "America's Everything...." A few years ago, we used to get the Research Channel, University of Washington, University of California, et al. My wife was recovering from back surgery, and she used to love watching these, especially the medical shows on UW. Now, even though the "selection" has expanded, somehow these got slipped out the back door. There was a time that having access to these was the only thing that kept us with DISH, now, it's all the same kettle of (stinking)fish. Glad you brought this up, notwithstanding my rant.

What is wrong with the History Channel? They seem to fixate on Ancient Aliens. This is supposed to be a history channel and there is NO evidence that aliens exist.

Yeah; it's jaw-dropping incredible. And that jackass with the wild hairdo... I think he deliberately tries to make himself look as crazy as possible. I think they're up to well over 30 1-hr episodes, with excellent production values indicating they spent real money on the series... Where did all that dough come from? Are there that many lunatics believing that space aliens were here in prehistory and yet only stone-age technology survived to the present day? :yikes

Stone age technology is just better built than modern technology. It's just how it is. No wonder only stone age technology survived from the past. ;)

I haven't watched mythbusters and through the wormhole in years, and was planning on catching up at some point. Sounds like I don't need to.

only if you want to see them debunk internet videos or blow stuff up for no reason (only reason so watch anymore, lol). that show (like a lot of channels) should change their name.

Ouch! You peeled the scab off, big time:)

I have the alleged "America's Everything...." A few years ago, we used to get the Research Channel, University of Washington, University of California, et al.
I remember watching an interesting Seminar on chemistry and the attempts to build the biggest atom on the U Cal channel. Was a nice thing to fall onto.

What is wrong with the History Channel?
They seem to fixate on Ancient Aliens. This is supposed to be a history channel and there is NO evidence that aliens exist.

Well, there is NO evidence God exists either, but there is a whole lot of religious programing out there too....

A lot of holes in that theory, about as believable as aliens.....

waiting for the negative feedback now

That guy looks, well, completely sane compared to that Greek guy on Ancient Aliens.
recent-giorgio-tsoukalos.jpg

Last edited:
Traditional pay tv is not appealing to me at all anymore. The price, content & commercials are my gripes.

I get much more satisfaction from streaming.

What about the Discovery Channel, it should be called the redneck trailer trash channel, too many reality shows that pick our brains and not in a good way.

Sent from my iPad 2 using SatelliteGuys

Stone age technology is just better built than modern technology. It's just how it is. No wonder only stone age technology survived from the past. ;)

This is not stone age but close.
The Romans built bridges which are still in use but here in Cincinnati they all think that our I75 bridge built in the 1960s is in dire need of replacement.
Where did all the knowledge about building bridges go in 2000 years?

This is not stone age but close.
The Romans built bridges which are still in use but here in Cincinnati they all think that our I75 bridge built in the 1960s is in dire need of replacement.
Where did all the knowledge about building bridges go in 2000 years?
Cost is king. That is the difference today. In fact, cutting corners to create a disposable technology and maximize profits is just what has caused a decline in reliability over the last few decades, which is a microcosm of thousands of years of "progress."

I personally didn't like how Through the Wormhole didn't seem to verbally smack Michael Behe with his "irreducible complexity" garbage. The people that followed certainly took it apart, but the show didn't take a stand on the incredible stupidity that is the infalsifiable scientific 'theory' of "intelligent design".
That was the episode that made me remove Through the Wormhole from my timer's list. Why? Because YEARS ago, Nova did a FANTASTIC show about the Dover trial. It demonstrated how irreducible complexity was shown to be incorrect, and proven beyond all doubt as fraud in federal court.
I don't want to derail this conversation to religion, ID or anything like that. My point is, that there is so much scientific evidence that refutes, beyond all reasonable doubt, available from watching THIS VIDEO on PBS, and none of it was used in Through the Wormhole. This put Michael Behe's DISPROVEN hypothesis the same status as PROVEN scientific examples showing the opposite. It kills me!

I think the last "Wormhole" I actually enjoyed was the one about the existence of time as something other than a human construct. And even that one had a few "out there" hypotheses.

I highly recommend "TED Talks" on line, on Roku or wherever you see it. These discussions are generally fantastic!

Def TED talks. History is driving religious fanaticism and generally providing false info. I hate this because people watch that channel and assume it to be true without looking it up. I made it a point about a year ago to look info up on every documentary shown on the history channel and the misinformation was scary.

History is driving religious fanaticism and generally providing false info. I hate this because people watch that channel and assume it to be true without looking it up. I made it a point about a year ago to look info up on every documentary shown on the history channel and the misinformation was scary.
What's even scarier is History now gets very high ratings, comparable to popular cable networks like TNT, TBS and ESPN. Stupidity is profitable.