Loss of Even Numbered 119 Transponders

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Namgalf

Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
I have a 121 Superdish using an 811 and a 3700 (I think...not home right now to check) receiver with a DP34 switch. There is a clear line of sight to sats...Just recently, every once in awhile, I am losing the even number transponders on 119. Not sure of how much time elapses, but they eventually come back. Any ideas??? Thanks

I've heard there are temperature problems with some superdish LNB's - overheating and winking out.

Check the connection from your switch to your receiver (check that your plugs are ok).

Last edited:
It could be the LNB or the connectors or cables. Start by checking every connector and make sure they have no rust and are tight. Then inspect the cable runs. If they are all OK, I would look at replacing the LNB.

I have a customer experiencing an issue with his 119 lnbf losing some even transponders. He loses FOOD, GAMESHOW NETWORK, THE WEATHER CHANNEL, and a local channel off the 105 lnbf that is on an even transponder but it is not a channel watched much so not a big deal right now on it.

I have been seeing an aweful lot of 105 SuperDishes being replaced with Dish1000's here lately.

RandallA said:
It could be the LNB or the connectors or cables. Start by checking every connector and make sure they have no rust and are tight. Then inspect the cable runs. If they are all OK, I would look at replacing the LNB.
Inadequate cables should be hign on the list, but any of these can be the problem.

tnsprin said:
Inadequate cables should be hign on the list, but any of these can be the problem.

Well, it was working before so I don't think the cables are the problem. But I did include the cables in my list of possible culprits.

I live in Arkansas where it has been over 100 degrees for the past week. I have also lost the even transponders on 119. I spoke with some friends of mine who live about an hour south of me and they have also lost the channels on 119. I think there may e something to this LNB overheating issue.

The 119 LNB went out on my 121 superdish on Tuesday. dont remember if it was odds or evens.

Threw up a spare dish 300 and pointed it at 119 till they can fix it. (July 31st)

What particular channels are you guys losing on 119? One person reports FOOD, The Weather Channel, GAMESHOW Network out during the day, comes back in during the night. Are you guys seeing the same channels going out. These channels that are going out are on the same transponder when the error message comes up. Connecting a different receiver up to the same coax/dish/switch system does not show the same problem.

I've lost the 119 evens, too. It's 100 degrees around here (northern california) and i suspect either the switch (on the chimney) is frying or the wires are heating up (raising R). Supposed to cool down in a couple days so hopefully that'll solve it.

I also am loosing the even TPs on 119. I live in Louisiana and it has been plenty hot. Mine started a week ago and I thought it was probably caused by sun spots as it was usually in the afternoon. It is now getting worse - more TPs going out. They will still work late at night or in the morning. I think it is heat related. I scheluded a service visit. I think it is the LNB as I do not have a switch on mine. I used the input on the DPP Dual to hook up the 61.5 dish.

Last edited:
JKElect said:
I also am loosing the even TPs on 119. I live in Louisiana and it has been plenty hot. Mine started a week ago and I thought it was probably caused by sun spots as it was usually in the afternoon. It is now getting worse - more TPs going out. They will still work late at night or in the morning. I think it is heat related. I scheluded a service visit. I think it is the LNB as I do not have a switch on mine. I used the input on the DPP Dual to hook up the 61.5 dish.
Cannot emphesis too much that usually is inferior cable not meant to carry the frequencies used to stack the 119 even signals used by DPP. Not all rg6 is meant to carry them.

JKElect said:

It is the lnb. I 'm in Texas where it is plenty hot too, and I have had three dishpro plus twins die in less than a month. Two on my mom's account two weeks apart and one on mine. I have the same setup as you with the two dishes for main sat and 61.5. Funny, Tech support at Dish says they have heard nothing about these dpp twins dieing in high heat. :rolleyes:

This happened to me a couple years ago (and is of course happening again). My experimentation at the time showed that the power inserter was an issue. I have a hundred feet of rg6 in series with a hundred feet of rg59 between the power inserter and the switch (don't ask :). The dc voltage at the switch was dropping too low because the wires were heating up and increasing the resistance. I got rid of much of the problem by moving the power inserter about 20' closer. Now I only lose 119-evens instead of everything :)

The hot streak is supposed to end for us tonight, so I'm not gonna do anything about it. One thing I found is that recovering usually requires me to unplug the power inserter for about 10 minutes after the ambient temperature has dropped to around 90.

Is anybody getting free Dish1000's in the SuperDish/Dish1000 markets where the locals are on 105 and 129? What problem was you experiencing (only the 119 lnbf failed) or did it have to be a 105 or 110 lnbf failure (certain lot number) for them to give you a free replacement.

I live in Alaska and don't know anything about overheating, but everytime anyone I help or myself has odd, even problems it has always been the cable, even if it looks perfectly fine so I would strongly suspect the cable.

I've got the identical issue.

Popular channels in our home are HGTV, FOOD, History, SCI-FI. All come in without error in the cooler hours of the morning and evening, but mid day, when temperatures are above 85 degrees or so, the LNB begins to fail.

Check Switch results in a nice red "X" and a message indicating "no communication" or "communication failure".

I've an appointment for next week to have a tech visit and have just called and have had my problem ticket updated with this information.

The Dish repair guy came yesterday. He did not hesitate, he changed the DPP Twin LNB. He said he has been changing a few of these lately due to high temp failure. I will see how it operates after it has been baking in the sun for a few days. After he put the new LNB on I was able to get all channels and connect to Customer Service, which I have not been able to get for a couple weeks. It does look like in my case it was the LNB.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts