loss of HD channels during the day .. only

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Sven

Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
Here's a strange one. I am losing all HD channels during the day (except locals). And by during the day, I mean when the sun is in the sky. In the morning and night I get signal no problem. AT-9 dish and HR20 (no dvr) receiver.

Any ideas? I'm thinking of switching to the slimline dish in hopes that it is a LNB or dish issue.

Here's a strange one. I am losing all HD channels during the day (except locals). And by during the day, I mean when the sun is in the sky. In the morning and night I get signal no problem. AT-9 dish and HR20 (no dvr) receiver.

Any ideas? I'm thinking of switching to the slimline dish in hopes that it is a LNB or dish issue.

It does sound like an lnb. Have you checked all of your connections?

Yes, but for the sake of trying, I'll do it again. the AT-9 has 4 connections, so I'll even try a different one. And I'll redo the setup (with accupro22) like the manual says I should if I take the LNB's off. I may not be able to get to it for a day or so, busy busy.

Strange that the sun would interfere (it probably isn't the sun but that is what it seems like). I remember getting sun fade with the big dish (15 years ago), however that was for 7 minutes three times a year or something silly. Not everyday all day until night.

Sven,

I had the same problem when I had the Voom satellite service. When the voltage to the LNBs is low (i.e. 12volts) you can get this problem.

The normal operating voltage to the LNBs is either 13V or 16V (approximately, I'm sure some tech will correct me on this forum if I'm off by a volt or two.) One voltage is for one polarity and the other is for another polarity.

My initial install with Voom was improperly done. Causing the voltage to the LNB to be low. Therefore the LNB could not change polarity. The symptom was that some channels would not come in when the sun was behind the satellite.

Your problem could be that a connection or component in your setup is causing a low voltage condition to the LNB for your HD channels. At least that is something to think about.

Good Luck!

i checked the connections and moved them and they were all good. of course it's working now because it is night time.

next i guess i will shorten the cable (will need a day or so to buy the connectors).

however, can anyone recommend a booster that may work? I plan to hook it @ the receiver. Something that is available at radio shack, bestbuy, etc would be best and it needs to use the wider spectrum of the new hd receivers, etc. Any suggestions?

Sven,

I don't think a booster will solve your problem. If it was me I would check the voltages at the LNB first, then troubleshoot the rest of the system from there.

I think you need to change the LNB ....

Do you have a multi switch inthe set up ?
If so, bypass the multiswitch and see if the trouble still exists .

I would bet on the multiswitch if you have one or the LNB if not, seeing you already checked the connections.

Jimbo

No multi-switch. Cable goes directly from the LNB to the Receiver. However, I don't recall how long the cable is. I thought it was 50'. I could be wrong.

I'm not 100% sure how to check the voltage at the LNB. Is it possible to use the Acutrac22 PRO for this? (answered my own question on this one ... yes it is possible ... hook the cable from the receiver to the receiver end of the Acutrac and then select View Receiver from the menu ... I'll do this tonight).

I believe I have about 20 extra feet of cable. Would it be helpful to remove that extra 20 feet from the cable .... doesn't shorter run = less voltage drop?

Thanks for the help ! !

I believe I have about 20 extra feet of cable. Would it be helpful to remove that extra 20 feet from the cable .... doesn't shorter run = less voltage drop?

Yes!

As always a shorter cable is better, less attenuation. I'm betting you have a noisy LNB.

So, would a shorter cable help a noisy LNB.

Ok here goes, what's a noisey LNB?

Which is why I was hesitant about asking, it seemed like one of those setup jokes (p.s. mispelling noisey is probably laughable as well ... noisy).

So, would a shorter cable maybe help the situation, or should I just get a slimline dish and call it a day.

Thanks again for your help.

So, would a shorter cable maybe help the situation, or should I just get a slimline dish and call it a day.

NO,
In your case,only 50 ft or there about, shorting it will not change your situation.
If you are using RG-6 cable, your fine.
Many have posted runnung cable up to 200 ft with no trouble with the AT-9 and a HD receiver.
You won't experience enough signal loss to do what your describing with that short of a cable.

Jimbo

Well, before reading this, I got up there (roof mount) and cut 15 or so feet off the cable and redid the connection. Of course the HD channels work great (as they always do ... AT NIGHT). I didn't check my voltage up there, forgot the meter at work.

Yes, it is RG6, HOWEVER it is really crappy RG6. Only about 10 feet of the cable is outside of the house.

Could it be the crappy cable? or is it most likely the LNB. I'm one of those people who hate to spend $150 when it could be fixed with less. However, time after time I end up spending the $150 after the other things don't work ... this does have the added benefit of upgrading your equipment, etc. fairly well :)

Well, before reading this, I got up there (roof mount) and cut 15 or so feet off the cable and redid the connection. Of course the HD channels work great (as they always do ... AT NIGHT). I didn't check my voltage up there, forgot the meter at work.

Yes, it is RG6, HOWEVER it is really crappy RG6. Only about 10 feet of the cable is outside of the house.

Could it be the crappy cable? or is it most likely the LNB. I'm one of those people who hate to spend $150 when it could be fixed with less. However, time after time I end up spending the $150 after the other things don't work ... this does have the added benefit of upgrading your equipment, etc. fairly well :)

If the cable is damaged at all, it could be, IF it's easy to replace, try that first.
Hopefully D* should replace the LNB

Jimbo

Yes, I'm sure they would. However, they seem to take forever to get stuff done.

I'll do the cable, it's not all that difficult of a run (especially since I can hook the new cable to the old for the pull) and D* will probably want to do that first anyway. Will have to wait for the weekend to get the time for the pull and need the light to see anyway (and to check if it worked).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)