Loss of Locals on 77w

On why the large channel master dish is pointed at 119/110 is its a old system 20+ years and when set-up we got locals from 119 (nyc & la)..
What levels do you have Spot Beams 119°W: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.
What levels do you have Spot Beam 110°W: 4, 12, 18, 20, 23, 25, 26, 27, 29, 31.
Let's see if you have other options....

Hello Rafael, I was wondering the same thing.
Should I be able to get signal from 129 from haiti?
These are my coordinates-
(19.8037989, -73.3804615)
No doubt you will get it, what size do you use for 119°W?
Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 5.37.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 5.38.33 PM.png

I will guess you can use at least a 4 ft. off set fed antenna, but if money is no issue I would go for the 6 ft. that size I know works as low as Aruba, Curacao.....the best thing to do is run tests with your actual set up, search only for CONUS transponders 17 to 32, let's see what levels you acquire....

No doubt you will get it, what size do you use for 119°W?
View attachment 153352
View attachment 153353
I will guess you can use at least a 4 ft. off set fed antenna, but if money is no issue I would go for the 6 ft. that size I know works as low as Aruba, Curacao.....the best thing to do is run tests with your actual set up, search only for CONUS transponders 17 to 32, let's see what levels you acquire....
I’m currently using a
1.8 foot for 77
1.2 foot for 119
1.2 foot for 110
so since there is no more locals on 77w I’m thing of just repointing to 129.
I just never had luck finding a good transponder to use to get signal.
I then tried 72 and the signal was not strong enough and the same for 61.5.

I’m currently using a
1.8 foot for 77
1.2 foot for 119
1.2 foot for 110
so since there is no more locals on 77w I’m thing of just repointing to 129.
I just never had luck finding a good transponder to use to get signal.
I then tried 72 and the signal was not strong enough and the same for 61.5.
Nice, just re-aim that 1.8 ft. to 129°W
The antenna should be an Off set fed antenna, therefore most will use between -21° and -23° of the original target elevation depending on the manufacturer (Dishpointer.com also on app helps to aim)
Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 11.34.46 PM.png

Your 1.8 ft. is actually aimed to 66.4° so use the angle app on your phone or a digital angle meter to calculate the degrees your antenna needs to subtract from the original elevation, I will work with 21°; assuming this your antenna is more or less at a 45.4° Elevation (really 66.4° for prime focus antenna).
Your new target is 129°W:
Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 11.41.20 PM.png

The Elevation here is 24.2° minus the 21° leaving you with 3.2° (almost vertical)
Hope that gives you a rough idea...
Good Luck!!!

Reactions: all4jo
Hello Bobby there's not enough space to feed all 210 DMA, and that's the reason why they have some in CONUS, if not they would be on S.B. already, (also I will guess they will always try to have what is called network redundancy); unless they decide to degrade image quality because in average they have around 10 to 12 HD feeds per transponder, other option would be use codec H.265 but that means they'll have to upgrade for free, and numbers might be tight.....
But lets say they do feed all Locals of all markets in S.B. people in the Caribbean have another Satellite provider that covers all the Caribbean with Locals out of Miami
Not to mention the streamming options.....

Regards.
i looked at that solution but website doesn't have much info - i need 10 receivers - with hopper i can do. thing is i just BOUGHT the hopper 3 and 5 newer joyies + switches and installation lots of money when you purchase and ship and pay duty - really like to use for a while before buying all new....but maybe that's not going to be for long.

Reactions: Rafaelccs
so just change address? if i have tech realign the dishes should the 1.9meter be to 129 and if so what city do i change my address to?

119°W: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. are all at 15 or 16 (channel master 1.8)
110°W: 4, 12, 18, 20, 23, 25, 26, 27, 29, 31. are all at 31 or 32 (channel master 1.8)
sorry it took so long. let me know best city to change address to and where to point the large channel master 1.8

119°W: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. are all at 15 or 16 (channel master 1.8)
110°W: 4, 12, 18, 20, 23, 25, 26, 27, 29, 31. are all at 31 or 32 (channel master 1.8)
sorry it took so long. let me know best city to change address to and where to point the large channel master 1.8
If I recall you said you are in Cancun?, 15 and 16 are a bit low. if you don't want to spend money on tests the best is the NY local in SD out of 119°W. My guess is the LNBF's location or the antennas surface is giving more gain to the orbital slot 110°W.....just guessing here, there are several things to test before posting any kind of suggestion....

If you achieve more levels from satellite Echostar 14 @ 119°W in the following Transponders (Spot Beams):
TP #1 & #5 A20 that serves Tampa (SD).
TP #2 B20 Fort Mayers (HD) Miami.
TP #3 B21 that serves Miami (SD).
TP #4 B20 West Palm Beach (SD).

Just to give you a slight idea (example) of the spot beam you might be achieving (based upon your posts):
Screen Shot 2021-09-06 at 9.29.08 PM copy.png

Still looks as best option SD out of NY.....

Last edited:
Reactions: charlesrshell
If I recall you said you are in Cancun?, 15 and 16 are a bit low. if you don't want to spend money on tests the best is the NY local in SD out of 119°W. My guess is the LNBF's location or the antennas surface is giving more gain to the orbital slot 110°W.....just guessing here, there are several things to test before posting any kind of suggestion....

If you achieve more levels from satellite Echostar 14 @ 119°W in the following Transponders (Spot Beams):
TP #1 & #5 A20 that serves Tampa (SD).
TP #2 B20 Fort Mayers (HD) Miami.
TP #3 B21 that serves Miami (SD).
TP #4 B20 West Palm Beach (SD).

Just to give you a slight idea (example) of the spot beam you might be achieving (based upon your posts):

Still looks as best option SD out of NY.....
Looking around on satbeams.com it seems 119@B20 has a better chance, and has the Miami ones in HD. So I would try that one if 119 TP 2 is strong enough.

Reactions: Rafaelccs
Looking around on satbeams.com it seems 119@B20 has a better chance, and has the Miami ones in HD. So I would try that one if 119 TP 2 is strong enough.
Yep that's transponder #2 (TP #2 B20 Fort Mayers (HD) Miami.) but he claimed he had the following levels out of S.B. 119°W: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. are all at 15 or 16
I think those levels are low, and spend money on tests might be a bit expensive since he's not aligning himself but has a tech to do so (from other post; if my memory doesn't fail).......

Regards.

Yep that's transponder #2 (TP #2 B20 Fort Mayers (HD) Miami.) but he claimed he had the following levels out of S.B. 119°W: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. are all at 15 or 16
I think those levels are low, and spend money on tests might be a bit expensive since he's not aligning himself but has a tech to do so (from other post; if my memory doesn't fail).......

Regards.

I really appreciate the time you took. I am going to print this out explain it to my husband so he can show/talk to the tech in Spanish.
yes the tech aligns dishes - its a climb and he connects and old dish receiver and he has equipment helps he align....he has been doing this for years.
he always tells me that we are right on the edge of receiving signal - people even in Playa del Carmen are too far south. It takes him a long time to align.
If he says its at the best it can be (has to realign every few years) as it is then i call in a new address and see how it goes.
my husband is the one to watch a lot of channels and he says in the last few months we have lost more - this time of year he watches the weather channel (hurricane tropical outlook) and depending on the time its off and on...20+ years of getting Dish down here is a good run!

if this doesn't work looks like I will change the service from Dish to the company you recommend of out Mia. so my rental guest have tv in English and maybe i myself will try using a VPN and stream yahooTv or Hula.
again a big thanks

I really appreciate the time you took. I am going to print this out explain it to my husband so he can show/talk to the tech in Spanish.
yes the tech aligns dishes - its a climb and he connects and old dish receiver and he has equipment helps he align....he has been doing this for years.
he always tells me that we are right on the edge of receiving signal - people even in Playa del Carmen are too far south. It takes him a long time to align.
If he says its at the best it can be (has to realign every few years) as it is then i call in a new address and see how it goes.
my husband is the one to watch a lot of channels and he says in the last few months we have lost more - this time of year he watches the weather channel (hurricane tropical outlook) and depending on the time its off and on...20+ years of getting Dish down here is a good run!

if this doesn't work looks like I will change the service from Dish to the company you recommend of out Mia. so my rental guest have tv in English and maybe i myself will try using a VPN and stream yahooTv or Hula.
again a big thanks
Great, good luck with the tech, I would say you might not need his services (by now) because with your current setup you will get locals of New York, NY in SD from 119°W @ Transponder 20; Transponder 20 is a CONUS Beam not Spot Beam.

The company in Miami (Kiwisat) has a very strong footprint in Mexico, central America etc (Miami Locals in HD)......the 1.8 m will be almost weather proof for that SES10....(lol)

Unless you have a very good ISP the satellite could be a better option, you need at least 4 Mbps for a decent streaming; most likely very soon your area thru Elon Musk's Starlink will provide you a 90 Mbps + for $99 a month I don't know when you will have it available in Mexico.....

Screen Shot 2021-09-10 at 8.12.47 PM.png

Good Luck.....

Great, good luck with the tech, I would say you might not need his services (by now) because with your current setup you will get locals of New York, NY in SD from 119°W @ Transponder 20; Transponder 20 is a CONUS Beam not Spot Beam.

The company in Miami (Kiwisat) has a very strong footprint in Mexico, central America etc (Miami Locals in HD)......the 1.8 m will be almost weather proof for that SES10....(lol)

Unless you have a very good ISP the satellite could be a better option, you need at least 4 Mbps for a decent streaming; most likely very soon your area thru Elon Musk's Starlink will provide you a 90 Mbps + for $99 a month I don't know when you will have it available in Mexico.....

View attachment 153626
Good Luck.....
question i have a chance to get a 2.68meter dish very cheap... if i used that for sat 119/110 instead of my 1.8meteer would i get better reception. i have been looking at 119 reception different times of day thought i would do a small study...seen some go lower..

question i have a chance to get a 2.68meter dish very cheap... if i used that for sat 119/110 instead of my 1.8meteer would i get better reception. i have been looking at 119 reception different times of day thought i would do a small study...seen some go lower..
maybe im doing something wrong but seems kiwisat website is down

Post pictures of that antenna they're offering you, there where are a lot of informal companies copying antennas, as a matter of fact there was one in Mexico (can't remember the name of those guys) that copied from a company in US Idaho (formerly know as Andersen) the copies will never perform as well as the originals, so your original Channel Master (by the way one of he most copied antenas in the caribbean) could outperform a 2.4 copy......

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts