loss of satellite signal-also losing OTA signal?

Z06_Pilot

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 11, 2009
Columbus, OH
hi folks,

well, for the first time, I am losing the satellite signal intermittently on both of my 722k's. we do have snow falling.....BUT, here is my concern. all of my locals via my rooftop antenna to my OTA modules are also dead on both DVR's.

I'm almost afraid to ask this. if the 722k loses signal to the birds, does it also kill the OTA modules as well?

I am not diplexing or anything. the OTA antenna RG6 cabling runs directly from the OTA modules on each 722k to the antenna.

My reason for getting the OTA modules was precisely for when I would lost the sat. signal, I would still have my locals va the antenna....

any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Jeff

Losing sat signal should NOT effect your OTA signal. HOWEVER, in my experience (622 & 722) when I lost sat signal, in order to then tune to a OTA channel I would have to hit GUIDE on the remote, then input an OTA channel. Actually, my OTA signal strength usually INCREASES when it's snowing. Hope this helps!

Ed

You could be losing your OTA signal which can cause your 722 to appear to lose its satellite signal. Try deleting your OTA channels and see if your satellite channels return. When the snow stops, rescan your OTA channels.

Hi Ed,

appreciate the reply.

yes, that's exactly what I was doing during the 2 hours or so that the sat. signal was coming and going.
I would bring up the guide when the sat went out each time, and direct selected one of my locals. every one of them came up with the "channel not available" message.

I immediately moved the antenna coax connector off the OTA module and directly into my tv, and the HD local stations came up perfectly....move the antenna coax back to the OTA....still down...

I am wondering if this is a qwerk or bug with the 722k......

Jeff.

Jeff-
Sorry to hear that! Must be that losing your sat signal IS causing loss of OTA through your 722.:confused: I guess you buckeyes are getting a ton of snow! Is it possible to sweep off your dish/LNBs without falling off the roof?? Good luck!

Ed

read what 2 of us have said

Jeff-
Sorry to hear that! Must be that losing your sat signal IS causing loss of OTA through your 722.:confused: I guess you buckeyes are getting a ton of snow! Is it possible to sweep off your dish/LNBs without falling off the roof?? Good luck!

Ed

Both Bobby & I have told him that losing OTA will cause the problem. It's not the other way around.

different tuners

Hi Ed,

appreciate the reply.

yes, that's exactly what I was doing during the 2 hours or so that the sat. signal was coming and going.
I would bring up the guide when the sat went out each time, and direct selected one of my locals. every one of them came up with the "channel not available" message.

I immediately moved the antenna coax connector off the OTA module and directly into my tv, and the HD local stations came up perfectly....move the antenna coax back to the OTA....still down...

I am wondering if this is a qwerk or bug with the 722k......

Jeff.

Different types of tuners don't pickup the same. So comparing your rcvr OTA tuner to the TV tuner isn't going to comfirm anything.

so, are you saying that it's possible the OTA tuner is more sensitive to certain atmospheric conditions like snow on the antenna, than my TV tuner would be, and thats why the channels came in ok when connected directly to the TV?

so, you are thinking it's my OTA tuner that actually knocked out my sat tuners?

and it occurred with both OTA tuners during the same time period........

I have to say, I did think it was odd that I would lost the sat. signal as we just got a mild dusting of snow tonight, and yes, it was on my dish, but a very thin coat, and not frozen...just wet snow...

so, if it was my OTA modules on both 722k's that caused this, what the heck can I do about it?

jus an update. the outage went on for about 3 hours, coming and going. both the OTA and sat. signals have been rock solid for about 4 hours now. i just went outside, and the same amount of snow is on the dish as was there when the problem was occurring. Might be a little more as it has continued to flurry tonight.

hmmmmmmm.......

No

so, are you saying that it's possible the OTA tuner is more sensitive to certain atmospheric conditions like snow on the antenna, than my TV tuner would be, and thats why the channels came in ok when connected directly to the TV?

so, you are thinking it's my OTA tuner that actually knocked out my sat tuners?

and it occurred with both OTA tuners during the same time period........

I have to say, I did think it was odd that I would lost the sat. signal as we just got a mild dusting of snow tonight, and yes, it was on my dish, but a very thin coat, and not frozen...just wet snow...

so, if it was my OTA modules on both 722k's that caused this, what the heck can I do about it?

What I'm saying is that some OTA tuners are not affected the same as others. The snow could cause more problems for the 722k tuners than for the TV tuner. I can't say there is anything you can do to help the 722k or not. you can try and see if they are peaked to the stations or not may need amplification may have bit of a problem with multi-path it's really hard to say on the forum.

What I'm saying is that some OTA tuners are not affected the same as others. The snow could cause more problems for the 722k tuners than for the TV tuner. I can't say there is anything you can do to help the 722k or not. you can try and see if they are peaked to the stations or not may need amplification may have bit of a problem with multi-path it's really hard to say on the forum.

thanks, I am only 3.5 miles from all my towers. my signal strength is 100% on all except for one where it is 95%. not amp in line, don't think I need one with that strength. don't think it's multi-path. these OTA stations have been absolutely rock solid for the two months I have had Dish....right up until tonight!!

I am going to take the advice I have read about spraying the dish with WD-40 just to rule out snow causing any issues here. if next snow this happens again, I will try the garbage bag trick that many have used successfully. at least that way, I can rule out snow causing issues with the dish.

thanks..

Not WD-40

thanks, I am only 3.5 miles from all my towers. my signal strength is 100% on all except for one where it is 95%. not amp in line, don't think I need one with that strength. don't think it's multi-path. these OTA stations have been absolutely rock solid for the two months I have had Dish....right up until tonight!!

I am going to take the advice I have read about spraying the dish with WD-40 just to rule out snow causing any issues here. if next snow this happens again, I will try the garbage bag trick that many have used successfully. at least that way, I can rule out snow causing issues with the dish.

thanks..

Try Rain-X instead. WD-40 attracts dust & dirt and causes it to stick to the antenna. won't hurt the antenna but can make it look ugly. Also it will wash off as well over a while. In fact everything will wash off eventually but just not a fan of putting lube on antennas.

You could be losing your OTA signal which can cause your 722 to appear to lose its satellite signal. Try deleting your OTA channels and see if your satellite channels return. When the snow stops, rescan your OTA channels.

Thanks! Helped me solve a puzzling problem.

Another thing I have noticed with OTA on the 722: If you are in the OTA signal strength screen and just cancel out of it, it will often cause the 722 to think it lost sat signal. That we know.

What I found fixes this 100% is to leave the OTA meter on your strongest channel and then press the "Done" button to exit that screen. No more sat signal loss screens.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)