Loss of TP Names when Channel Listing is Uploaded to Receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

IA6Newspath

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 27, 2006
I touched on this issue in the thread regarding my FTA system installation, but I thought that this might be a specific topic twith which others might be familiar and have some interest, so I thought I'd start a new thread for this topic.

I seem to be having an issue when uploading channel listing files to my Pansat 3500SD. I've manually added a number of TPs to various satellites using Channel Master software, and it seems that whenever I upload the channel listing file to my receiver, the names that I've assigned to transponders which have not yet been scanned in and assigned a channel number (which is most of the TPs I've entered at this point) are completely lost. Consequently, whenever I run a satellite scan for the TPs I've manually entered and a TP is detected, the receiver assignes the detected service name of the channel as opposed to the TP name I entered. I realize that the receiver may automatically insert service names if multiple services are detected on a transponder (MCPC, or multiple carriers per channel), however the TPs I'm scanning are single carrier. What's equally mystifying is that when I view the channel listing immediately after having uploaded it to the receiver, the names for TPs that have not yet been scanned and assigned a channel number are missing from the channel listing as well, while TPs that have been scanned and assigned a channel number retain their name. I initially noticed this in Channel Master software, but I've found the exact same thing to happen with Pansat's 3500S Channel Editor program as well. Oddly, there was one time that I uploaded a channel list to the receiver yesterday, ran a satellite scan, and the TP names I had assigned were evidently retained, as the receiver assigned the exact TP name that I entered as the channel name in its channel listing...exactly what I wanted. That said, I'm curious if anyone else has run into this issue and has determined how to correct it.

Thanks!

To add to the confusion, I just noticed something else regarding this discussion. As I mentioned in the previous thread, there was once yesterday where the receiver seemed to retain the TP names I had assigned and consequently assigned those names to the respective channels when they were detected in a scan. Well, when I run a satellite scan of all the TPs I've entered for a selected bird, I've found that the receiver seems to recognize those channels for which the receiver carried over the TP name as a stored channel and doesn't create a new channel entry for them. However, for the channels that are already in memory but whose TP name did not carry over to the channel name, the receiver doesn't seem to recognize them as a previously stored channel and creates a duplicate channel entry for the TP using the detected service name. Among other things, the part that I really don't understand is why when a satellite scan is run, some of the TPs that already have an associated channel listing are not duplicated while others are.

Well, after much experimenation, I still haven't had any luck with my receiver using the TP names I've assigned to manually entered TPs for naming the associated channel when it's detected and scanned. If, for example, I manually enter all CBS Newspath frequencies under IA 6 in Channel Master and name each TP respectively (1A, 1B, etc.), upload the channel file to my receiver, and run a satellite scan on IA 6, the first thing I notice is that the channel name assigned to any detected TPs are not the TP name I've entered, but instead the service name embedded into the signal. A TP which I named as CBS Newspath 1A, for example, is given a title of CBS NEWSPATH, which I know from past experience to be the service name embedded in channel 1A's signal. Furthermore, when I download the channel listing back to Channel Master after running the satellite scan, the names of TPs which were not detected in the scan have disappeared.

I'm wondering if someone with a Pansat receiver and Channel Master capability might be able to try a little experiment for me. If possible, first go into Channel Master and enter a new TP under IA 6 of <11711 V, 14320 Msps>. This is the TP for CBS Newspath 1A which is always active. When entering the TP, assign a channel name like TEST1A to the TP. Then, download the channel listing to your receiver and run a TP scan on IA6 for the Newspath 1A TP. I'm curious if on other receivers, the channel will be scanned in under the name assigned to the TP in Channel Master (or as in this example, TEST1A), or if the receiver assignes the detected service name of CBS NEWSPATH to the scanned channel.

The million dollar question for me is whether or not it's possible to name a TP in Channel Master, then have the receiver assign the same name to the channel when its scanned and detected (this really wouldn't apply to MCPC carriers which have multiple channels, so that's why I'm focused on carriers with just a single channel) as opposed to the receiver naming the scanned channel based on the service name embedded in the digital signal. I realize that I can just re-name the channel after it's scanned, but to me it would save a lot of work if the receiver would carry over the channel name from the TP listing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts