Lost all recordings on my DVR

Zorlac

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 30, 2004
Iowa
I had only a few movies and TV shows on my 722k DVR, barely used any space. Anyway I noticed that all my recordings were gone. When I went to history I saw that "TV1 User deleted at 9:07pm). All items were deleted at 9:07pm. Is this symptomatic of an HD failure, and if so would it actually log something like that?

Is there some combination of buttons on the remote that somehow delete all recordings that I mistakenly hit. Or some nasty bug I encountered? Like I said I only had about a dozen recordings, but still not happy they are gone. Im the only one who uses the DVR and all my timers are my own.

If this is a sign of a failing 722k (nearly 2 years since I've had it and its been reliable since, any other problem was due to the dish/switch etc) should i buy an EHD or get a replacement/hopper upgrade? If this was a failure its bound to happen again right?

You should get an EHD anyhow, just in case. But I think you may have had an accident. Did you intentionally delete any programs at that time? It's easy to Select All and mark everything, rather than marking just the contents of one folder.

Nah, never had any folders of my own. Just 2 for South Park and Comedy Bang Bang. Everything else were movies. I did have a lock on the SP and CBB episodes too. I'll have to ask later today if the other members of the house may have used the DVR, but honestly Im the only one who uses the DVR. My timers are still intact if that means anything. Its just confusing that the history is so specific as to all the programs I had recorded listed as being deleted at a specific time. I would think if there was an HD failure it wouldnt log anything.

it did manage to record 2 shows I had in my timers tonight, its recording Top Gear rerun as I type and I've yet to encounter a glitch.

If you went into a folder, selected ALL and then deleted, it'll also select all the saved programming outside that folder...

I've read about it here, but never had it happen to me as of yet as I always select files seperately for deletion.

Also, any chance you have a neighbor close enough that also has Dish, and using a UHF remote? If you've never changed the frequency of the uhf remote away from the default, his remote could reach your receiver. Then if he deleted all his programs, it could also select and delete yours.

Hmm. Well I did do a factory default reset a few days ago (saturday actually) because for some reason the picture was squeezed into 4:3 mode. Factory defaults fixed that problem. There is a house across from mine that has a dish, but I cant tell if its Dish or DirectTV. Theres also a Dish user 2 houses away from me.

As I said, the DVR would store the recorded items in the default manner. I.e. press DVR twice and movies and single TV shows would list in the window. 2 or more of the same show creates its own folder, i.e. my South Park and CBB series.

I count 6 steps in order to delete a program. I just dont really believe if there was a HD error it would actually log its deletion in History. Tomorrow noon someone's gonna have some 'splainin to do.

Ahh yes the old "selected all recordings EVERYWHERE when I meant to select just one folder" bug. The UI isn't very intuitive when it comes to that. On my 722k I always group by "My Groups," open the folder I want to delete FIRST, then hit EDIT while in that folder. This ensures that you do not select ALL RECORDINGS.

I really don't think your disk is going bad, for all the reasons you mentioned. I think somebody had an accident. Protecting a recording only protects it from automatic deletion when another recording starts up and the disk is otherwise full. It does not stop you (or anybody else) from deleting it.

I really don't think your disk is going bad, for all the reasons you mentioned. I think somebody had an accident. Protecting a recording only protects it from automatic deletion when another recording starts up and the disk is otherwise full. It does not stop you (or anybody else) from deleting it.

That's true, but it WILL prompt for your password before it'll delete it, if it was protected.

There is no password to stop you from deleting that I have seen. Protect does not do it. Maybe if some parental control was on?
-Ken

Correct you must have the system locked to prevent erasure.

Sent from my iPhone

Correct you must have the system locked to prevent erasure.

Sent from my iPhone

Ok, sorry. I do have my system locked, and it's hard for me to imagine that somebody doesn't have their systems locked. First time my wife got bored and started buying PPV's, that was it for me. Lock city! LOL.

Yeah, wish Hopper still had the password prompt when deleting protected recordings... At least there's a recycle bin.

Hmm. Well I did do a factory default reset a few days ago (saturday actually) because for some reason the picture was squeezed into 4:3 mode.

You shouldn't need to do a factory reset, nor would I. Simply unplugging the receiver, wait about 10 seconds or so and plug it back in will fix that occasional problem. (Called a Hard Reset) Also, do you know for sure those programs were still on the DVR after doing the factory reset?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)