Lost all signal

Status
Please reply by conversation.

CFilkins

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 5, 2003
Hi, guys...
As of this morning, everything was fine with my setup (5 LNB SWM, and a pair of HR22-100's). Turn on the tv this evening, and get a searching for sat 2 screen. Checked the signal, and I'm getting 0's on every transponder. Checked the upstairs receiver, and same story. I reset the downstairs box, and still nada. I checked all of the connections up to the grounding block outside (didn't want to climb a ladder at night to check the connections on the dish in the cold and wind). All of the connections there appear to be fine.

The install is a week and a half old :( I called the installer (he asked that I call him before calling DirecTV) and someone is going to hopefully be able to take a look tomorrow, although there's no way I can stay home from work to wait for a tech...hopefully he can evaluate the external connections w/o anyone home, and since it's happening on both receivers, I'm thinking it is something outside. Do you guys have any thoughts as to what the issue might be?

Chris

Happened to me too....

Same deal, it was a week after my install. The tech said the dish had moved ever so slightly due to a bad roof. The house is 100 years old and does not have a solid plywood roof (There are slats ever 4 inches or so). The original tech placed two lag bolts into one slat and two into nothing but shingles.

It probably moved around a bit or I have heard the heads like to go bad in extremely cold weather.

I don't think this should have moved. The first night after the install, we had 60mph winds all night long, and the signal stayed rock solid. The installer made sure to add extra monopole supports, knowing that I live in a fairly windy area (shores of Lake Erie).

At this point, I'm going to speculate that the SWM or LNB (are they one unit?) have gone bad. Hopefully they can get it squared away today, because I will not be a happy camper to go all weekend without service (and I would hope for a service credit as it would have been caused by their defective hardware). In nearly 2 years with Dish Network hardware, I never had a hardware issue...the only outages I experienced were due to ice buildup on the dish.

SWM LNB's do not like the cold. There is a stoppage on new installs because of this. There are workarounds but they will not do them because of the expense. It consists of a regular five lnb with four cables running to a SWM-8 multiswitch. Chances are, you'd have to buy the lnb and SWM-8 yourself.

Original installer came back out tonight...he had hoped to get a "cold weather SWM" but they weren't going to have any until Monday. So he tried to warm up the LNB in his truck and reinstalled it, but it didn't work. We decided to just swap it over to a regular LNB/multiswitch, and ran the second coax lines, and everything seems happy now.

Chris

SWM LNB's do not like the cold. There is a stoppage on new installs because of this. There are workarounds but they will not do them because of the expense. It consists of a regular five lnb with four cables running to a SWM-8 multiswitch. Chances are, you'd have to buy the lnb and SWM-8 yourself.
no it consists of changing the brand of LNB used
if anyone is not installing SWM now it's their own fault for not changing LNB brands

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)