Lost at "C"

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I checked the channels I am getting against a few listings on the internet and YOU ARE RIGHT. How did I do that? ( get over 300 syations on KU when I had everything wired wrong and the receiver setting wrong) My lnb must be seriosly mis- installed, I have it set to AMC1 and am getting a truckload of foreign channels and a few in English (About 160 total)

I checked the channels I am getting against a few listings on the internet and YOU ARE RIGHT. How did I do that?
Don't worry about that now, get back to that later.

My lnb must be seriosly mis- installed,
If you are getting Channels, LNB is probably installed properly.

I have it set to AMC1 and am getting a truckload of foreign channels and a few in English (About 160 total)
I'd guess that the Dish is pointing to 97west, there are not that many channels on AMC1
Galaxy 19 at 97.0°W - LyngSat

You are close. Remember you are going from Zero to 100mph with out knowing how to drive! You are doing well. For now, don't worry about the 4DTV, focus on the Fortec.
Trace the Cable from the Ku LNB (port at the end, not the square box) , use a piece of Tape to mark it #2, connect it to Port 2 on the DiSEqC Switch. The other cable, connect to the C Port (square Box) mark it #1, and connect to Port 1 on the DiSEqC switch. And connect to the Receiver.
Power up the Receiver, go to the Antenna Setup Menu, look for Sat that has "97.0 West". There should be 2, one for Ku and the other for C Band.
Start with the one for Ku, Transponders will have 5 digits. (C Band has 4 digits)
LNB Type: Standard / 10750
Positioner: None
Transponder: 11874 / H / 22000
0/22KHz: off
Switch: DisEqC 1.0
Input: none
Port: 2

You should see a Quality reading

For C Band:
LNB Type: Standard / 5150
Transponder: 3905 / V / 4166
Switch: DiSEqC 1.0
Port: 1

List the Names of the Channels, to confirm what sat you are at.
EDIT: Just a few of the Channels, no need for all of them.

Last edited:
The wife now has control of the TV. I'll be able to list some channels a little later. I do remember one channel in English, AMG.

I do remember one channel in English, AMG.
Pretty sure you are on 97 west...
Galaxy 19 at 97.0°W - LyngSat
Scroll down, you will see "AMG".

Now that you know where you are at, it's time to get to you first goal "123 west" for a few Arkansas Channels.
First thing to do is set up the Receiver. Go through the Antenna Setup Menu and Set all the Ku and C Band Sats with the proper LNB and Switch settings:
Ku:
LNB Type: Standard / 10750
Transponder: doen't matter
Port: 2

C Band:
LNB Type: Standard / 5150
Transponder: doesn't matter
Port: 1

Once the receiver is set up, it's time to move to the next Sat to the West, Look for "99West" C Band
In the Antenna Setup Menu, look for "3845" in the Transponder List

Then slowly, 1 "click" at a time, move the Dish to the West, watching for the Quality bar to light up. Make not of how many Click between Sats.
Post your results!

Got it. However I had to eyeball the dish and more or less take a shot in the dark. The signal strength bar remains at 40 no matter where the dish was UNTIL I start a scan, then it lights up.

Quality Meter "only" lights up if the Transponder that is selected in the Setup menu is Live / Active / Hot (what ever makes sense to you).
Compare your channels to Lyngsat to confirm which Sat you are on.

Understood. Thanks to your help I have gone from 0 to 100 without knowing how to drive, to Mach5 with a learners permit. This is getting a bit addicting ! I'm myself not a big TV watcher (but the Mrs. is) I am having more fun making this work than actually watching TV.

Last edited:
Not yet. Chainsaw has to help with that one. Since the previous owner of my home installed the dish, the trees have grown quite a bit. There was a pizza dish on the house when I bought it so I assume the BUD had been out of commission for some time. They also left a second BUD (disassembled) . Hmmm........But for now I'll just keep learning.

Once LAK7 got me on the right track it wasn't as difficult as I thought. I have been reading this forum dilligently for a couple weeks now so as to not ask too many stupid questions and have seen that LAK7 and everyone here are very patient and knowledgeable. The help is very much appreciated.

As for the second dish, it would take a crane just to put the mount back up on the existing 6" pole. I found the dish (in 4 sections) back in the woods covered in brush and weeds. It is fiberglass and REALLY BIG. No apparent damage to it though, seems like it was retired and put out of sight some years ago.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts