Lost at "C"

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Right now the only station I have left OTA is CBS (soon to be gone) Been that way for quite some time now. So any improvement will be nice. Local news would be a plus. If I had to depend on what I get on the BUD now, I would never have known that a tornado levelled downtown Thursday night ! (I'm outside the city limits of Mena)

What is / are you local TV stations?
You probably are not going to be able to get your Local News channels from FTA Satellite.
There are some pretty creative Directional Antennas available, that have provided reception from great distances.

Try this Antenna Page, enter you location, and it will show a map and data of what is possible.
http://tvfool.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29

Last edited:
Right now all I get is KFSM out of Fort Smith on CBS. I've looked into a new antenna but there are no digital stations predicted to serve my area. Actually alot of rural areas will not be able to receive DTV broadcasts.

Analog for now. I just went to that site and put in my address. I won't be able to get squat. Barely get a signal now. I can see why the previous owners had satellite.I'm really leaning toward the package deal with a 30" dish. I think if I try to replace my lnb and get all the other components dialed in together with being a novice and all, my head might explode before I get anything working.

Is 71593 your correct zip?
I would still try Digital TV first, if you barley get analog, you will probably get some Digital.
Maybe pick up a DTV Converter Box, hook it up and see what you get. Point the Antenna to KHBC tower, it's only 50 miles away.

KARZ, KPBI, and a Univision are available on Galaxy 18 ! 123 west, Ku Band
There may be more.

Have the converter box, no dice. Good channelmaster antenna with rotor and nothing but cbs. And yes 71953 is correct, but I am in the mountains outside cuty limits.

Using a Signal Booster or Pre-Amp?

You should be able to get that ABC station to the NorthWest.

I'd check with the guys in the OTA section too.

I took LAK7's advice and bought an FTA set-up. Sadoun sent me a Geosat c/ku lnb, diseqc switch, G-box 3000 and Fortec Dynamic receiver. I mounted the LNFB in the existing scalar ring (no different than the one they sent me) followed all instructions (none for the LNFB included) and can't seem to get anything over 40 on signal strength and 1 on quality. I assume the arrow on the end of the LNFB means "UP"? Maybe I have it installed wrong? I put it in the exact position of my old Chapparal LNB. During the install Threw my back out and will be immobile for a few days , rainy out now too, so maybe someone can help me figure this thing out while the weather and my back clears up. Thanks.

On the CK1, I think the Arrow goes to 9 o'clock with the Dish at your highest point (south sat)
Pop the cap off, the 1/4" rod should be horizontal.

Spent the day today trying to make the new setup work and nothing. Ran all new wiring so I would'nt have any issues, tested it with the 4DTV and all good. 2 Runs of RG6 Quad shield to the Disecq sw in the house and new LV actuator wire. The receiver will not give a signal strength more than 40 and SQ is at 0. Have tried tweaking the LNFB but nothing. Reading remains the same even if I take the LNB out and lay it on the ground. Yet the 4DTV will still get a few channels. Maybe I need to box it up and join a book-of-the-month club? I am at my wits end and can't think of any other adjustments that would make a difference. Sorry if I'm beating this thread to death. Just trying to find a solution to the impending doom of my OTA antenna.

Signal Strength indicates that power is getting to the LNB, so you know you have the wires correct.

You now need to set up the Receiver, it's on Plug N Play.
Start with C Band.
With the 4DTV, do you know what Sat you are on?

Keep it simple to start.
Use the 4DTV to park it on a Sat.
Power off the 4DTV and connect the cable from the Dish directly to the Fortec, no switches or splitters.
Power up the Fortec and go to the Antenna Setup menu, from the Sat list, find the Sat the Dish is pointing to (look at the Location like 91.0 W, 'cause the Sat names change and the receiver's list may be out of date. The locations stay the same)
LNB: Standard / 5150
Then hit the "P.Scan" button on the remote, see what you get, should take about 10 minutes.

OK. Connected the 4D to C band only (I believe it is the connection on the back end of the feed horn) and locked in on AMC3 87W, no picture but signal strength of 90. Followed your instructions for the fortec and got signal of 40 still and found nothing on P-scan. Had good signal on the 4D but no pictures. Back to the feed horn adjustments again?

Well I turned it on this morning and gave it another try. Scanned a few satellites with just C band and it is working ! However when I put the switch back in line to get KU I get nothing. I followed the instruction and powered everything down before connecting or disconnecting the switch so it should be OK. With the switch in and repeating the same sat scans I have nothing. I don't quite understand the port and disecq setting on the menu. What should they be for thi setup? And do I use USALS?

The connection at the "end" of the LNBF is for Ku, L.O. 10750.
The connection to the "Square Box" on the LNBF is C Band, L.O. 5150

I don't quite understand the port and disecq setting on the menu. What should they be for thi setup?
You have to make note of which port the Ku and C cables are connected on the Switch. T for each and everyhen in the Receiver's Antenna Setup Menu, you have to select the proper port.It doesn't matter wich ports you use, but You have to enter that info into the receiver.
I would connect C Band to Port 1, and Ku Band to Port 2, but that is just me.

And do I use USALS?
No. The GBox does not use USALS. You will be using DiSEqC 1.2 for the Motor.

If that's the case, I have had the Ku band only cable attached all day and been using the 5150 setting on the receiver and have been getting good results. (Granted, about 3 out of 300 channels were in English) How did this happen using the wrong port from the feedhorn? Now I'm really lost. And switch type 1.0 or 1.1 which should I choose?

Last edited:
You are probably getting Ku signals.
You just need to get it all straight.
Can you list some of the Channel Names you are getting?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts