lost caller Id on 2 of my receivers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tcpuccio1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 4, 2007
Lancaster, NY
I have a total of 4 receivers in my house and 2 of them the caller Id quit working. They are in the same room and on the same phone line. The line is good I have a dial tone and can call out on each line. I unplugged each one from each receiver and dialed out. The setting on the menu is set for "on" any ideas?
Oh the receivers are hr-24-500 and h-24-700.
Thanks guys and gals in advance as always. :D

I fixed the problem on mine by going under the menu/caller ID and I deleted the numbers listed. I have to do this every 2 weeks or so.

The first thing to try is to do a restart of the receivers.

There have been reports of the HR24s not doing Caller ID very well.

I want to throw my hat in the ring for this one. I have 2 H24-200's , 1 HR24-500, and 1 HR-23-700. Yes the 24 series are hit and miss on Caller ID. The HR23 ALWAYS gets the Caller ID and usually before the phone even rings. Not one of the 24's get Caller ID even 1% of the time a day after a reboot. This is very frustrating. I have checked the satellite dish to ground using a meter to both water line ground and to electrical bonded ground (Used to install and service Alarm /CCTV/Card access systems for a living), and the ground is there, and NOT a looped ground.

The speed of the 24's and RF remote quality with distance is far superior to the 23 and why I bought the additional HR24 for my open living room to kitchen because I was so frustrated with having to stand up and wave the remote over 10' from the 23 just to get it to resond, so I put that unit in the master bedroom and went back to IR mode. It works well there, but the unit is slow to respond and change channels period. The 24's are lightning fast, the rf mode for the receivers work well over 40'and comparable to the 722 which I ditched last October.

I really think that the technicians from D* should read the amount of posts about this problem and see if they can come up with a solution to this problem that apparently plagues these units for the Caller ID issues.

Yup that was it the Que was full on the ID.that would explain what happened. the other 2 receivers I didn't hook the caller ID up right away so there is still room I guess. What a stupid design! I have to delete each one at a time even stupider! if there is such a word. On my old Dish network deceiver that never happened and you could clear out all the calls with one button push... Who the hell designed such a poor design? ! Grrr.... !
Thanks guys as always.... You would think they would have a software patch for that :(

Caller ID stops working on my HR24-500 every two weeks. Restarting the receiver brings it back but I don't delete the queue for previous calls. My HR24-100's Caller ID always works.

Yup that was it the Que was full on the ID.that would explain what happened. the other 2 receivers I didn't hook the caller ID up right away so there is still room I guess. What a stupid design! I have to delete each one at a time even stupider! if there is such a word. On my old Dish network deceiver that never happened and you could clear out all the calls with one button push... Who the hell designed such a poor design? ! Grrr.... !
Thanks guys as always.... You would think they would have a software patch for that :(

CID is NOT a feature that D* really cares about, the fact that it's on your recvrs is for your benifit.
I would rather they dedicate thier time to PQ, over CID, seeing that it a PHONE company thing that D* decided to pass along.

I want to throw my hat in the ring for this one. I have 2 H24-200's , 1 HR24-500, and 1 HR-23-700. Yes the 24 series are hit and miss on Caller ID. The HR23 ALWAYS gets the Caller ID and usually before the phone even rings.

This is a PHYSICAL IMPOSSIBILITY .....

The Caller ID is triggered on the second ring of the phone call, therefore it cannot show the caller ID BEFORE the phone rings, unless of course your phone is defective and is not ringing till after the 2nd ring.

This is a PHYSICAL IMPOSSIBILITY .....

The Caller ID is triggered on the second ring of the phone call, therefore it cannot show the caller ID BEFORE the phone rings, unless of course your phone is defective and is not ringing till after the 2nd ring.

My cordless phones light up at the same time the CID comes through, then about 1/2 second later the ringing starts... Not an Impossibility.. Put a butt se on the tip and ring sometime and listen to the CID tones as the call comes in.. You can hear the data sent and hear the ac voltage sent to ring the phone. Put a test meter across on ac and watch it spike as the rings come in...

MemberOneFiveOh said:
My cordless phones light up at the same time the CID comes through, then about 1/2 second later the ringing starts... Not an Impossibility.. Put a butt se on the tip and ring sometime and listen to the CID tones as the call comes in.. You can hear the data sent and hear the ac voltage sent to ring the phone. Put a test meter across on ac and watch it spike as the rings come in...

And it happens between the first and second ring. Possibly after the second ring, I don't remember exactly, its been awhile since I had a CID case of trouble.

And it happens between the first and second ring. Possibly after the second ring, I don't remember exactly, its been awhile since I had a CID case of trouble.

Well whether it comes in at the first ring or not , the issue is still with the HR24's and lack of displaying the caller id all the time, some of the time, none of the time, rebooting to make it work again, or clearing the logs to make it work again (First time I heard that one). There are plenty of posts on this site and other sites including the DIRECTV site where people with these units ARE having these issues, and should be addressed if they are going to include this feature in a unit.

As I have said before My HR23 ALWAYS receives the caller ID, The HR24 RARELY receives the caller ID. The units have been switched to each other's spots for testing purposes with the cabling be left at the spots, so it is definitely the unit, not the cabling, or grounding, or Fairy mites!!!!!

I'll try to find out some more about this. I have a pretty good resource. I've got one of my receivers w/phone line attached...H23 600 Caller ID always worked until I made a change in my home ph. service eliminating caller ID and long dist. On screen mesg says "incoming call-unavailable". Line can still dial out. Chg in sevice has to have caused it. Not really related to subject discussed here but a quirk nonetheless. Doesn't matter really....when the house ph rings it ain't never for me.

MemberOneFiveOh said:
Well whether it comes in at the first ring or not , the issue is still with the HR24's and lack of displaying the caller id all the time, some of the time, none of the time, rebooting to make it work again, or clearing the logs to make it work again (First time I heard that one). There are plenty of posts on this site and other sites including the DIRECTV site where people with these units ARE having these issues, and should be addressed if they are going to include this feature in a unit.

As I have said before My HR23 ALWAYS receives the caller ID, The HR24 RARELY receives the caller ID. The units have been switched to each other's spots for testing purposes with the cabling be left at the spots, so it is definitely the unit, not the cabling, or grounding, or Fairy mites!!!!!

Umm, I'm not disputing you saying the HR24's having trouble with CID, all D* recvrs have had issues from time to time with CID. My. HR20's had issues from time to time.... my HR24's have Not, so far.
D* IS A VIDEO service, not a Phone Company....
Are you going to leave D* because the CID isn't working correctly ? This could be a defective modem in the box, a bad cnnection, a bad ground, reversed polarity a good number of things. Just because you CID's work in your phones doesn't mean the D* recvr doesn't work, remember its for VIDEO.

I'll look around this morning and see if anyone is going out on a CID trouble ticket, but I doubt it.

How many phones do you have connected to your home phone lines ?
If you want to try something, seeing yours doesn't work, try removing one phone at a time and call to see if it works note how many phones are plugged in when it starts working.

Umm, I'm not disputing you saying the HR24's having trouble with CID, all D* recvrs have had issues from time to time with CID. My. HR20's had issues from time to time.... my HR24's have Not, so far.
D* IS A VIDEO service, not a Phone Company....
Are you going to leave D* because the CID isn't working correctly ? This could be a defective modem in the box, a bad cnnection, a bad ground, reversed polarity a good number of things. Just because you CID's work in your phones doesn't mean the D* recvr doesn't work, remember its for VIDEO.

I'll look around this morning and see if anyone is going out on a CID trouble ticket, but I doubt it.

How many phones do you have connected to your home phone lines ?
If you want to try something, seeing yours doesn't work, try removing one phone at a time and call to see if it works note how many phones are plugged in when it starts working.

Oh, you are killing me. Why the big debate about a feature which is provided on a unit and does not work correctly?? Really???

If a feature is present on a unit, it should work correctly.. And if does not, Someone in house SHOULD find out why it does not work as it should and come up with a plan to fix it. PERIOD. If it was only a handful of people where the specific problem was on their end with cabling, bad voltage, etc... OK.. But when the MAJORITY of the units have this problem, and other models in the same house hold (or business) do not, then the problem is with the units hardware or software. PERIOD.

I'm done with this discussion Jimbo.. Obviously I have my views , and you have yours. .. Peace be with you. :)

Why ???

Because you are stating things you know nothing about.

I stated earlier that I felt some of the boxes don't work consistantly as well, but you seem to have forgot that.

I work on phone lines every day and know how the different features work ...
You stated things that ... oh never mind.

Why ???

Because you are stating things you know nothing about.

I stated earlier that I felt some of the boxes don't work consistantly as well, but you seem to have forgot that.

I work on phone lines every day and know how the different features work ...
You stated things that ... oh never mind.
What does working on Phone lines have to do with Caller ID on a D* HR24?

My Phone caller ID works perfectly fine, So does the Caller ID on my Vonage service, So does the caller ID on my HR23.

You just hate it when someone has complaint about any D* product,service or feature.

Get Over yourself!

OK guys back on to the topic. I posted the same question right onDirectv's web site and it was suggested I try putting 2 filters in series before the receivers and see what happens. Same thing it worked for about 2 days and quit again. one thing I did notice is overnight or sometime before it was working and it quit working I got TV mail. just an animally or is this part of the cause?

OK guys back on to the topic. I posted the same question right onDirectv's web site and it was suggested I try putting 2 filters in series before the receivers and see what happens. Same thing it worked for about 2 days and quit again. one thing I did notice is overnight or sometime before it was working and it quit working I got TV mail. just an animally or is this part of the cause?

They suggested filters because you have a DSL line?

I got mine running through Vonage, so I don't need DSL filters on them.
But you need them if your plugging it into your Landbased phone line if its the same line as your DSL service, Yes!

Status
Please reply by conversation.