Lost channels on some even transponders?

jpuiner

Original poster
Apr 1, 2006
I've had Dish Network for a few years, with a Dish 500 dish and two receivers - a 510 and a 300 something. No problems at all until a few weeks ago, when I started intermittenly losing some channels.

One of the channels I lost was SciFi, the first night Doctor Who aired. I had previously recorded Battlestar Galactica in that slot for months, so this is a new development. The channels returned intermittenly, but last night they were gone for good.

I've gone through the whole troubleshooting process with Dish Network, including the full resets, with no luck. I checked the cable connections going into my house and they also looked good. I also checked to make sure that the dish was still secure (i.e. wasn't loose and sagging) and it looks fine.

Going through my channel list and seeing what I get and what I don't, I seem to have lost all channels on:
S 119 T 4, 6, 8, 10, 18, 20
S 110 T 22, 24

The channels are out on both receivers. The strange thing is, I'm getting the signals for most of these transponders when I test them:
Signal Strength:
S 119 T 4: Not Locked
S 119 T 6: 108
S 119 T 8: 111
S 119 T 10: 107
S 119 T 18: 106
S 119 T 20: 109
S 110 T 22: 89
S 110 T 24: 72

Channels on other transponders come in fine, but I can't get anything on these even though the signal strength is good. (SciFi is on S 119 T 8, which at 111 should be pretty good.) Most odd transponders on 119 come in at 120+.

Searching on here, it seems this could be an issue with the dish alignment, or it could be something with a bad switch? I have an appointment for someone to come out on the 10th, but I was hoping for some more advice to fix the problem sooner, and for less money. Any suggestions?

I'm in Pflugerville, Texas, just north of Austin.

Boy!, this sounds like you indeed need a service call, my only thought is you might have a legacy LNB, they have been know to go bad, and there is also a manufacturing run of DP twin LNBs that were bad.

Same problem

It seems like I have the same exact problem except that the transponders are 2 8 10 18 on satellite 119 (that's all I remember at this point). I rebooted, checked the dish, the signals, and so forth... No luck.

Can I ask how this issue was resolved in your situation?

Gregory

On legacy (non-DP) LNBs, losing even transponders is a symptom of low voltage at the dish. Could be too long coax runs or more likely, corrosion in the connectors.

"Could be too long coax runs or more likely, corrosion in the connectors."

Correct. Could be bad cable too but most likely the connectors. Check all the connectors at the Lnbs and switch.

RandallA said:
"Could be too long coax runs or more likely, corrosion in the connectors."

Correct. Could be bad cable too but most likely the connectors. Check all the connectors at the Lnbs and switch.

yes, check the connectors, and and barrel connectors or ground blocks the even transponders are usually the first to go if there is a wiring issue

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts