Lost Dish Yesterday - Tech Replaced LNB’s today

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
My DPH42 switch has a grounding terminal on it but it is not grounded. Shouldn’t it be grounded? Could that be causing my problems? I am still looking for possible solutions as I wait for the tech to arrive this afternoon.

The Dish technician was originally scheduled to come between noon and 1:30 PM. The arrival was changed to 3:30 PM then 5:30 PM and then 7PM. He arrived at 7:45 PM. This was a different technician out of the Mansfield office. He was unaware of my case history so I proceeded to tell him about the problems and what was done during the last 2 visits. The error on both Hopper3 receivers was Port 1 - No signal (129 was connected to port1).

We went to the basement and he used his meter to test individually the signal strength coming into the switch. All 3 lines had excellent signal strength. Unfortunately, he did not have a power inserter or a DPH42 switch on his truck. His dispatcher had him unplug the power inserter and plug it back in again to reset the DPH42 switch. That fixed the problem on both of my Hopper3 receivers. He is noting that I could have a bad power inserter. Although everything is currently working I don't have a good feeling. Time will tell.

You're not the only one who doesn't have a good feeling about that.

IMHO on the second visit they should have replaced the power inserter when they replaced the switch.

Not replacing the power inserter with the switch is like only replacing one battery in your remote or only replacing half of a bad wire. Or only bringing half of a receiver to a new install.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Now, just out of curiosity, the cabling form the LNBF to the Switch is correct? 129 should be in Port 3 of the Switch. 119 Goes to Port 1, 110 to Port 2. That's how it shows for an International LNBF, but I Have to assume (Since there's no diagram of an actual 1000.2 WA on the Dish Portal) it should be the same

No, my satellites are not in that order
Port 1 - 129
Port 2 - 110
Port 3 - 119
Port 4 - not used
Does the order make a difference?
So far it is still working today.

No, my satellites are not in that order
Port 1 - 129
Port 2 - 110
Port 3 - 119
Port 4 - not used
Does the order make a difference?
So far it is still working today.
Hopefully not, but it does for sure on a DPP500+. Port 4 is only used for FSS satellites, like the 118 and the 121.

And yes, people still use the 121. I found that out the hard way yesterday..... :/

After 2/27/18 Dish set up a special Case Manager with a special number for me to call if I had more problems. My Dish setup worked fine for the last week. Tonight I came home at 10:45 PM and my two Hopper3 receivers had the same old error - No signal on Port 1.
Again I have good signal on 110 and 119 but no signal on 129. They have scheduled an Advanced Tech Visit for Thursday at 8 AM.
I tried unplugging the power Inserter on the DPH42 switch since it fixed the problem last time but it did not fix it this time. They are supposed to send a more knowledgeable tech on Thursday. It still could be a bad power Inserter since that was never replaced. The Western Arc LNB’s were replaced on the first visit. The DPH42 switch was replaced on the second visit. The tech verified that he was receiving a good signal on all 3 lines feeding the switch during the third visit. Unfortunately he did not have a power Inserter but the system fixed itself when he unplugged and plugged in the power Inserter. And it worked for one week before failing again.

I will point out to him that my switch has 129 on Port 1, 110 on Port 2, and 119 on Port 3. This is not the recommended setup according to Hipkat. Of course it has worked that way for a long time. I just hope they can find the problem. Since I have the single OTA tuner on both of my Hopper3 receivers I will miss a few of my local shows since I am limited to 2 OTA shows at once.

The Dish technician arrived. He checked the signal coming from the Dish and had 58 dB signal loss on the cable before the ground block. Since my cabling is less than 50 feet he felt that the LNB’s were weak. He replaced the LNB and got a dB of 32. He was satisfied with the lower dB. He also changed the satellite ports on the DPH42 switch.
He did not replace the power Inserter since he claims that it is working ok if the green light is on. He is convinced that the new LNB will fix the problem. I am not completely convinced but time will tell.
Port 1 = 119
Port 2 = 110
Port 3 = 129
He gave me his cell phone number and told me to call him direct if I have more problems.

Because that would doa the switch itself, probably. I doubt many people carry extra power inserters

The person who replaced the switch the first time should have replaced the power supply too. If they have to DOA the switch then so be it. Wouldn't that be better than it quits working and you they have to go back and fix it again.

The person who replaced the switch the first time should have replaced the power supply too. If they have to DOA the switch then so be it. Wouldn't that be better than it quits working and you they have to go back and fix it again.
I totally agree. I would have changed both the 1st time. Some offices hammer techs on turning in Equipment that Dish deems No Problem Found. I know, for us, it's a company metric, but still, you're dead on

Same here, my rate of NPF is 0% and has been for a long time. If there's a way to fix it, I'm gonna fix it, or if it's out of my abilities, advise the customer on the best way to fix it

I think for internals, NPF's is one of their Pi metrics

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)