Lost Even Transponders on One Bird - Stumped...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

HDTVFanAtic

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 23, 2005
I lost my even transponders on 110W last Friday on both STBs. Legacy system.

So, I figure either the lnb or the switch is bad. Bypass switch, run single lnb direct to STBs - run check switch - still no even transponders.

I use 2 SW21s and reverse the position of 110 so on one STB its SAT1 and the other SAT2.

Both STBs still show no even transponders on 110. 119 is fine.

So, I start replacing lnbs.

I go through 4 lnbs - same thing.

Finally, I take the lnb out of 119W that I know is working and put it in 110W. Unplug both STBs for 2 minutes - fire them back up - check switch.

Still no 110W Even.

I cannot see how both STBs all the sudden will not acknowledge 1 bird even and work on the other, much less both of them going out at the same time?!?!?!?

What am I missing?

EDIT:

I took a 3rd STB that hasn't been used for 9 months. Plugged it in. Ran a check switch. 110W Even still missing. I guess this eliminates the STBs - but I've replaced everything else????????????????

I have even taken another RG6 drop from a Directv KaKu feed that is working properly and connected that directly to the lnb (again, that I know was working from 119) and run that directly to the STB. Check Switch. Still no 110W Even...

I'm open for any ideas or reasonable explanations.

Last edited:
Ugh! sounds pretty ugly dude.

Hmmm...if replacing LNBs and receivers didn't net you anything, then I would start looking at the cabling (breaks in insulation or...oddly enough, this has happened to me...a cable splitter between the LNB and receiver). Another possibility is the groundblock may be faulty.

Like I said, it's goofy techno you're messing with. Especially with Legacy equipment. No rhyme or reason to it when it starts messing up.

webbydude said:
Ugh! sounds pretty ugly dude.

Hmmm...if replacing LNBs and receivers didn't net you anything, then I would start looking at the cabling (breaks in insulation or...oddly enough, this has happened to me...a cable splitter between the LNB and receiver). Another possibility is the groundblock may be faulty.

Like I said, it's goofy techno you're messing with. Especially with Legacy equipment. No rhyme or reason to it when it starts messing up.

I have put in a totally new run of RG6 directly from the STB to the lnb. Run check switch. Still no 110 Even.

I have tried yet another lnb....same deal.

And I have 18.7V at the lnb end of the RG6 so I know its putting out 18V.

I am having the same problem here with my brand new Dish 1000 and vip 622 and 211. I just had Dish installed Saturday and now all the even TP's on 110 aren't coming in. I read somewhere else that it could be heat related, which is possible since it has been in the 100's here in KC, but I am not sure if these LNB's are prone to heat problems. I did try a reset and done a number of check switches but stlil no Even TP's. Any other ideas, or is it possibly heat related?

if you have a voltmeter and the receiver still is set for legacy equiptment, ie: lnbfs, then polarity switching occurs when the voltage varies from +13 to +18. I forget which one is for even but I believe it's 18. And have you tried a shorter length of coax? If 18V has to pass thru alot of cable and or bad fittings, that voltage at the end near the LNBF could drop below the mark that separates 18 to 13; even to odd transponders.

Where are you seeing that you lost the even TPs? When you do check switch or are you checking the even TPs in the 6-1-1 screen?

110 is mostly Spotbeams and there are only a few even TPs that are Conus. Most of those conus are PPV and PPV Sports.

Go to channel 9900 (Dish 500 screen). That channel is on TP 10, what do you get?

I had this problem at the end of May / beginning of June on my 501. I was convinced at the time it was related to the moving of the DFW locals to SpotBeam... as it happened at the same time. That or related to the P308 software.

Ended up replacing the DP+ Twin LNB and it finally started working (this was after P309 downloaded to my 501). It never really affected my 942, except for 1 time, and a switch check cleared it. So, I chalked it up to a bad LNB (had it for about 18 months).

RandallA said:
Where are you seeing that you lost the even TPs? When you do check switch or are you checking the even TPs in the 6-1-1 screen?

110 is mostly Spotbeams and there are only a few even TPs that are Conus. Most of those conus are PPV and PPV Sports.

Go to channel 9900 (Dish 500 screen). That channel is on TP 10, what do you get?

If I did not note it earlier, I have 18.7 or 18.4 Volts showing at the end of the coax at the lnb connection - so I know its passing the voltage properly.

I am seeing it on check switch (it notes a problem) and when i tune to any channel that needs 110 Even I get a loss of signal message with the transponder noted.

HDTVFanAtic said:
If I did not note it earlier, I have 18.7 or 18.4 Volts showing at the end of the coax at the lnb connection - so I know its passing the voltage properly.

I am seeing it on check switch (it notes a problem) and when i tune to any channel that needs 110 Even I get a loss of signal message with the transponder noted.

Then, I'm stumped too. You've replaced everything yet the problem still there. Do you have a ground block or barrel connector in any of the cable runs?

Edit: What receivers do you have? I see that you went through 4 receivers but no mention of the models.

Last edited:
I am having the same problem on my 501 but it is 119 even. Dish sent me a 508 replacement and had the same problem. My 522 does not have this problem. I even moved my 501 into room where my 522 was and still had the problem. Dish is coming by Sunday to look at it.

I just had a local tech come out this afternoon and replaced the main switch outside and even the Twin 110 and 119 LNB, since his ladder was already up there. Yesterday and the day before I did all kinds of test of disconnecting both receivers and using just one tuner. Basically the guy said if the LNB was bad you wouldn't get any signal at all. So now it is up and running. Main when I was trying to run the Check switch test it was taking FOREVVVVEEERRR!!! It also wouldn't download the EPG, but now it does it without a problem.

RandallA said:
Then, I'm stumped too. You've replaced everything yet the problem still there. Do you have a ground block or barrel connector in any of the cable runs?

Edit: What receivers do you have? I see that you went through 4 receivers but no mention of the models.

6000s.

I have even go so far as to put in a new RG6 Quad run with compression connectors directly to the roof - still no go.

Yes, there is and there was a similar thread on this but the problem was with the software with the 5xx. That's why I asked the OP about the receiver but it looks like it doesn't apply to his problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts