Lost HD Locals(DVR can record though)

raisan29

Original poster
May 19, 2009
Idaho
I have a VIP722 and a Dish Network DISH 1000 Plus dish.

My issue is this: A few days ago I lost both GMA Pinoy channels (717, 720) and my local HD channels (Boise, ID). Next morning all channels were back. That evening, lost those channels again. Next morning, Pinoy channels were back, but HD locals have not returned anymore (still get the "Don't call us" slide). The Pinoy channels always seem to come back every morning so far, but go back off signal while we're at work.

I called DISH today and they had me check the signal on 118 for the Pinoy channels and said I was receiving low signal (22-23 but green bar). He had me check 129 transponder 4 for my HD locals and I only got a signal of 10-11 with red bar. He said he would have a tech come out Friday to troubleshoot because he thinks for the international channels that I have either a bad LNB or switch. I do receive other international channels...only lost the two. For my HD locals he says it sounds like a realignment is necessary.

What I discovered by accident tonight because I never deleted my DVR timers is that my DVR can record my HD locals just fine and I can view them via the recording. If I try to tune to the channel directly it still has no signal. Could someone maybe narrow down where my problem is? I have not tried to DVR off the international channels I have lost yet. Thanks!

The list of things that could be wrong is enormous. Have you tried tuning to your locals from TV2? Recordings happen most often on TV2, so if the DPP44 switch (big silver thing installed somewhere between the dish and your receiver(s)) has gone bad it's possible that you are only losing your signal on one of the two sat inputs. You can check this by going back into the signal strength screen ([MENU]-[6] [1] [1]) re-check those transponders and satellites after changing the tuner number to 2.

It's also possible (though unlikely to happen to 2 LNBs at once on a new system) that the LNBs are starting to fail due to LNB drift. This would be supported by your losing the signal more often during the warmer times of the day.

It could also be as the phone tech diagnosed, that you have a very low signal on the transponders that are required for those channels (and possibly the tuner being used for recording is ever so slightly more accurate in it's tuning).

Checked the recordings and they are from both Tuner 1 and 2. Checked signals on both Tuner 1 and 2 and they are the same. When the locals were out last night I tried to tune into them on my other TV (TV2) and they didn't come in on there either.

Surprisingly to me...now my local HD channels are coming in, but not the two internationals I lost.

I also forgot to mention earlier that I also have a 311 reciever hooked up in the office/computer room. So I think there is another switch in my crawl space...and then there's the one on the roof with dish.

EDIT: Saw your reference to system installation age...the system will be a year old in July.

The list of things that could be wrong is enormous. Have you tried tuning to your locals from TV2? Recordings happen most often on TV2, so if the DPP44 switch (big silver thing installed somewhere between the dish and your receiver(s)) has gone bad it's possible that you are only losing your signal on one of the two sat inputs. You can check this by going back into the signal strength screen ([MENU]-[6] [1] [1]) re-check those transponders and satellites after changing the tuner number to 2.

It's also possible (though unlikely to happen to 2 LNBs at once on a new system) that the LNBs are starting to fail due to LNB drift. This would be supported by your losing the signal more often during the warmer times of the day.

It could also be as the phone tech diagnosed, that you have a very low signal on the transponders that are required for those channels (and possibly the tuner being used for recording is ever so slightly more accurate in it's tuning).

Last edited:
You can check for LNB drift from the system info screen. ([MENU] [6][1][3]) after it runs all the checks, click on details. If LNB Drift is the culprit, you will see "LNB drift detected" Followed by a description of which LNBs are affected as well as if it's evens or odds, and the amount of drift.

It doesn't tell me anything about LNB Drift after running that. It comes up with a "Warning! Click on details"...and satellite 118 is yellow.

Details tells me to check connections...alignment...obstructions etc. Then lists all the signals losses I've had below that. And some some other numbers below that that I have no idea what they are:)

You can check for LNB drift from the system info screen. ([MENU] [6][1][3]) after it runs all the checks, click on details. If LNB Drift is the culprit, you will see "LNB drift detected" Followed by a description of which LNBs are affected as well as if it's evens or odds, and the amount of drift.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)