Lost Signal on 129 and 119

Same problems in Houston, Tx yesterday. The wife hollered at me to "fix it". took about 20 or so minutes of rebooting and changing channels to get everything working again.

I just about called in to Dish but didn't. I really should have just looked on this site for others having the same problem. I will know better next time. :)

I run a dish 500 and a 1000 and I lost the signal on the 1000 but not the 500 must be on different satellites. After about 15 min it came back. Clear weather and no lOS issues. Gremlins must have gotten into the system.

I had problems with 129 on Saturday during Live Earth. I figured it was weather- just enough clouds to kill the weakest signal.

Here's the weird thing- when I watched the DVR recording later, the Live Earth stuff was cutting in and out with a golf game on CBS. I did not have my other tuner set to CBS...in fact, I don't remember the last time I tuned to CBS- maybe a month ago. At first, I just saw CBS promos and thought something I had recorded another time wasn't erased properly. But I've never DVRed- or even watched- a golf match. I did not see any of that while watching live- just got the usual "searching for signal" stuff.

Also, if I tried to skip or scan through the messed up video, it would crash and I would get a black screen with sound. I hit "swap" and went to the other tuner- resumed the DVR event- everything is OK. But then I crashed it again, and wound up with picture, but no sound. If I swapped back and forth, tuner #1 would always have sound/no picture, and vice versa on tuner #2. Didn't matter if I changed channels or started another DVR event. I wound up rebooting several times. I've rarely had any problems with my 622. Maybe never...I might be thinking of 942 problems.

Hold on a minute guys....

I can believe that there was a problem with the uplink, but why would that drop my signal strength? I should still have a strong signal to the satellite, I just wouldn't get any content back. The communction/link with the satellite is independant of what content the satellite is sending me, isn't it?

I can believe that there was a problem with the uplink, but why would that drop my signal strength? I should still have a strong signal to the satellite, I just wouldn't get any content back. The communction/link with the satellite is independant of what content the satellite is sending me, isn't it?

Very good point. If there were an uplink issue it should not affect the signal strength we receive. UNLESS they were doing something TO the satellites at that time and it messed up the signal we were being sent. I've noticed though that most of the people that experienced this issue were stating that it happened on a 622 receiver. Not many other models have been mentioned. Did this happen primarily on 622s, or do so many people have them now that it just seems that way? :) Whatever it was, it's clear that something major occured. The only question is what and why.

Have you learned anything yet Scott?

I lost 119 yesterday about 4:30. I still had 110 but I did not check 61.5 so I'm not sure about that. I reset the receiver and it took about 20 minutes to come back up but eventually it did.

Same problem in Sacramento Area yesterday. Took about 20-30 minutes.

After thinking about it afew minutes, I realized the only universal truth here was previously expressed: Wife hollers, "Fix it!"

..I've noticed though that most of the people that experienced this issue were stating that it happened on a 622 receiver. Not many other models have been mentioned. Did this happen primarily on 622s, or do so many people have them now that it just seems that way?...

I lost the sats on my 622 and my 721.

But you should :) - this is DVB-S standard signaling scheme, so your receiver must see and parse packets from streaming mux; carrier doesn't count. No packets - no SS.
Practically speaking, if someone did watch that time a spectrum from mentioned transponders, then we will talk.

We live in Indiana .. Also last signal yesterday afternoon . We just had Dish installed two weeks ago . We have a 622 & 222 receivers .. The 622 didn't lose signal yesterday but the 222 did ....Ok .. I just got home today.. The wife is in bed watching TV on the 622 ,, I went into the living room (where the 222 is) and noticed there was no music playing ( we keep channel 928 on all the time when we are not watching TV through the surround sound system ).. I turned on the TV and the 222 was trying to find a satellite signal. I had to hold the power button in and reset it .. That's the same thing that it did yesterday afternoon ... hmmmmmmmm ........ Why is the 222 loosing signal but not the 622 ? ....

The 222's seem to be a little buggy we have had a number of reports of the issue you describe.

While I have received no official information on what happened yesterday, someone told me earlier today that they think the interuption may have something to do with the upgrading Dish is doing at the uplink center getting ready for DISH II.

I dont know how true that is, but it would not surprise me.

While I have received no official information on what happened yesterday, someone told me earlier today that they think the interuption may have something to do with the upgrading Dish is doing at the uplink center getting ready for DISH II.

I dont know how true that is, but it would not surprise me.

If it is true, why would they choose that time of day and risk customers losing signal?

Smith, P - I agree with your earlier post.
Plus
I don't know about Charlie's birds, but some sats will not transmit (or repeat) if there are no incoming signals; which makes sense, since you don't want to waste battery power.

And also, that Systematic Emergency Shutdown switch Charlie accidentially leaned against, started shutting down the transponders too.:D

Smith, P - I agree with your earlier post.
Plus
I don't know about Charlie's birds, but some sats will not transmit (or repeat) if there are no incoming signals; which makes sense, since you don't want to waste battery power.

And also, that Systematic Emergency Shutdown switch Charlie accidentially leaned against, started shutting down the transponders too.:D

Sheesh.....talk about an "OH sh*t" moment.

I had problems with 129 on Saturday during Live Earth. I figured it was weather- just enough clouds to kill the weakest signal.

Here's the weird thing- when I watched the DVR recording later, the Live Earth stuff was cutting in and out with a golf game on CBS. I did not have my other tuner set to CBS...in fact, I don't remember the last time I tuned to CBS- maybe a month ago. At first, I just saw CBS promos and thought something I had recorded another time wasn't erased properly. But I've never DVRed- or even watched- a golf match. I did not see any of that while watching live- just got the usual "searching for signal" stuff.

Also, if I tried to skip or scan through the messed up video, it would crash and I would get a black screen with sound. I hit "swap" and went to the other tuner- resumed the DVR event- everything is OK. But then I crashed it again, and wound up with picture, but no sound. If I swapped back and forth, tuner #1 would always have sound/no picture, and vice versa on tuner #2. Didn't matter if I changed channels or started another DVR event. I wound up rebooting several times. I've rarely had any problems with my 622. Maybe never...I might be thinking of 942 problems.

I had the same thing. Black screen with sound and an occassional CBS golf. Signal OK on one tuner but not the other.

ViP 622 In Albuquerque.

I still vote for severe weather around Cheyenne at the time. Looking at Cheyenne's conditions using the Wunderground Almanac for 7/8, they were reporting Heavy Thunderstorm and Rain at 14:49-14:57 MDT, which corresponds with everyone's reported outages from Sunday. I was recording the Boeing 787 roll-out event from 110?W and it cut out a little after 4:44pm EDT. Also, Cheyenne recorded .25" of rain; given the 8 minute period in which it apparently fell, that's almost 2" per hour. Who knows what was between the Uplink center and the satellites?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts