lost signal on 2 out of 3 sats

patsfan72

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 21, 2008
western mass
Hi all
I have lost signal on the 110 and 119 sats today. Well it could have been yesterday seeing as i never watched the tv yesterday.but when i check my system info i red box with ans "x" in it under the 110 and 119 sat and a green one under the 61.5.we had really high winds here yesteray and i think the dish might have been moved.is there any easy way to re-align it. btw it has been snowing here all morning so i guess i am not getting on the roof to check it out.but i can reach it with a broom.the dish has no snow or any build up on it.

It maybe out of alinement. I've heard a few storys of Installers not tighting all the bolts after the install is complete.
That would be what I would check First. Then all your wiring.

It can be as simple as a loose cable connection -- right at the dish. Or a switch problem -- have you done a "check switch" from your menu?

If the dish had gone slighty out of alignment, it is unlikely that both 110 and 119 would have no signal for any of the transponders, which would indicate the problem is a bad switch. And of course it could be a failed LNB.

Or a switch problem -- have you done a "check switch" from your menu?

If the dish had gone slighty out of alignment, it is unlikely that both 110 and 119 would have no signal for any of the transponders, which would indicate the problem is a bad switch. And of course it could be a failed LNB.

????

Run a check switch with no signal? That isn't going to do anything. If the OP looks at the point dish screen and sees no signal at all or anything less than 25 then I would not run a check switch.

The OP didn't give much info on the situation, either so there's no telling what the "actual" issue is. He said he had snow. Has anyone thought that the coverage in the area could still be bad? Maybe damaged or corroded cabling? Bad switch? Possibly but I would check everything else first.

Depending on where the OP lives could state where the dish is pointed or needs to be pointed. For example, someone in the northern US like WA or MI would have to point their dish closer to the horizon, on the other hand somone in T:mad:like myself) or LA would be pointed higher in the air.

The dish could be out of alignment, yes but I wouldn't run a check switch test until the dish is back in alignment, which I wouldn't do if you have 3 sats, especially if you have never done it before.

I would face the facts and fish out the $29 sc charge and get an actual tech out to the home.

Last edited:
Okay, here's what you do: go out to your 110/119 dish and adjust it from left to right (it's most likely not an elevation or skew issue, so adjust it left and right until you find the satellites).

Do NOT run a check switch - that may cause you to need to rewire your system and will make re-aiming your dish more difficult.

Also, try aiming at 119 first - use transponder 2
Then try aiming at 110 - use transponder 3

I had the same problem when hurricane Ike roared through here - spun my ancient dish 500 half way round, but only had to move it left/right and quickly found my signal again.

Woah back up!

Ok lets back up an stop and think before we have this guy on a roof playin is there signal, yet.

1. Since we can assume your missing 119/110 on all your tvs it not an isolated incodent with the cable from the receiver to the switch. So lets start at the switch. By the sounds of your setup you have 119/110 an 61.5 So depending on when it was installed a DP34 or a DPP44 If you have a DPP44 make sure you did not accidentally unplug the power inserter inside ( it happens trust me ) On the left hand side of the switch you see 3 cables come into the switch which are your satellite feed lines. Using a 7/16 wrench undo each one and look inside for moisture and corrosion. If the copper is all green is icky well it you can clean the corrosion off but it will just come back , so it is time to get someone out there to cut the ends off and crimp new weather boot connectors on. If the ends are bad cleaning the corrosion off of them is a short term fix.

2. Follow the lines from the switch up to the dish. Looking for any obvious damage.

3. Check the dish grab it and see put a little pressure on and see if it moves. It is seldom for a dish to move in the 10 years of having dish I made it through 4 hurricanes with out ever needing to re alling the dish with signal always being 120-123 mark.

4. Check the lnb arm for damage some times something will fall on the arm and bend the lnb arm a bit throwing off service . Also check the LNB bracket it is only pastic so it can and will break .

5. underneath the LNB bracket is two phillips head screws undo those and release the lnb and again using the 7/16 wrench un do the cable to the lnb and look for corrosion. Also look at the lnb closely see if there any cracks in the assembly or anywhere you think water might be getting in as if water gets in the lnb well it causes things to act up.

6. If there is nothing overally obvious then I would say get a truck roll out to see what is wrong.

well i am just going to bite the bullet and get a tech out here.the system is only four months old and i have way to many things on my plate to try and fix it(and possibly mess it up more).
for what it worth,it was not covered with snow or ice,the signal was out on both my sets,at least the 61.5 sat has most of the channels i watch(but i am missing espn and the hdnet channels)and i live in western mass,is it possible to get just one dish instead of 2 with the turbohd gold package

Hi all
I have lost signal on the 110 and 119 sats today. Well it could have been yesterday seeing as i never watched the tv yesterday.but when i check my system info i red box with ans "x" in it under the 110 and 119 sat and a green one under the 61.5.we had really high winds here yesteray and i think the dish might have been moved.is there any easy way to re-align it. btw it has been snowing here all morning so i guess i am not getting on the roof to check it out.but i can reach it with a broom.the dish has no snow or any build up on it.

well i am just going to bite the bullet and get a tech out here.the system is only four months old and i have way to many things on my plate to try and fix it(and possibly mess it up more).
for what it worth,it was not covered with snow or ice,the signal was out on both my sets,at least the 61.5 sat has most of the channels i watch(but i am missing espn and the hdnet channels)and i live in western mass,is it possible to get just one dish instead of 2 with the turbohd gold package

We can not tell you if you can get all 3 with one dish. It is possible with a Dish 500+ w/ a Dpp twin and a dual for the 61.5 location but any time your talking about equipment and signal you have to look at geographical location and where the sat(not your dish) is located on the equator. Bottom line: tech is a lot easier and less stressful. Although, sometimes easier means more costly.

If it is only four months old then I would first check to see if you were installed by a retailer/subcontractor because they normally have a longer warranty than E* does. E* only give a 90 day warranty on any service, which your obviously out of. Good luck!;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)