Lost Signal Overnight - Blown Lnb?

jmartinacevedo

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 29, 2004
Hi everyone,

I've been with VOOM since 5/8, with no major problems whatsoever, and always enjoyed a good 95+ signal strength. As of yesterday morning, however, I had lost my signal. I get no SAT and no locals (I only got 2 anyway :) ). I checked all connections and everything is good. Rebooted the STB several times to no avail.

When I called Customer Service, the CSR surmised it sounded like a blown LNB, and possibly the dish also needed to be "realigned." (the dish is mounted on a pole in my back yard and it does not move one bit, so I don't think realignment is the issue). A service call has been scheduled on 7/22. Obviously, I will be receiving a credit for my days without service.

THe little satellite light icon remains red on the STB, whereas before, it would turn green within seconds.

In any event, does this sound like a blown LNB? Should I head to Radio Shack and buy one of those universal LNB replacements and give it a try? Although I have digital cable as a back up (including all networks plus INDH in HD), I hate to be without VOOM for another 7 days. Besides, the PQ on SD channels sucks incredibly, and I miss BravoHD+, TNT and TDC HD!

Any thoughts?
P/S To rule out a bad diplexor, I connected the sat dish coax feed directly into the STB sat-input to see if I got a signal, but it made no difference. Thus, it does not appear that the problem is a bad diplexor, or a bad STB.

It does sound like the LNB could be the problem. If you have the time, you could try the replacement LNB, because RS will take it back if it doesn't work.

Be sure to check that you are still authorized in your installation settings. Other guys have posted that they became unauthorized after a callback attempt, and they had to call Voom to get re-authorized. In some cases, Voom has had to 'hit' the box to get it working again.

When you say "rebooted", do you mean held the power button in, or actually pulled the plug on it for a bit? I have had (rare) occasions where a simple reboot by holding the power button in didn't solve my problems. Instead I had to unplug the box from the wall power outlet for a few minutes, then plug it back in and everything was then fine.

Blown Lnb?

Stone: I'll check on the "unauthorized" issue. For VOOM to hit the box, would a phone line have to be installed to the STB?

Funky: Thanks. Yes, I did the two types of rebooting (hard and soft).

Hopefully, it's the LNB or the authorization issue, particularly since I've never had the unit connected to a phone line.

Thanks!
Martin- :)

You would not loose the OTA locals with a bad LNB. I had a similar thing happen the other day with mine. Took about 12 hard re boots to bring it back. Before I got it back I called Voom and they said it sounded like the STB quit and scheduled a replacement. But I did get it going again and cancelled the replacement. Try doing the hard reboot by pulling the power cord then do the power hold down after that if it fails to come back on line.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)