Lost signal problem, not the receiver.

JimP

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
Wetumpka, AL
I have a problem that every few days, when I turn on the VIP 722, I get the screen about acquiring signal and it goes through the transponders and doesn't read anything. Power recycling and unplugging the power cord doesn't correct it. I have to unscrew the cable from the Dish Pro Plus seperator and screw it back on for the receiver to find the satellites. This, up to yesterday, would always happen overnight. Yesterday, it happened during the day. I have replaced the VIP 722 when the hard drive broke and there was no difference in behavior.

The cable that I unscrew from the seperator goes about a hundred feet to the western exposure disk which is the model 1000.2. On the LNB, you screw it into the single connector that's part of those housing. There's not a seperate switch that I know of.

I'm aware that I could remove the seperator and only run one continuous cable to a single tuner. Since the problem only appears every few days, it might take a while before I could assume that was the problem.

What does this sound like?

next time it happens, try pressing the guide button. don't press anything else. jus the guide button. let us know if the picture comes back after doing that.

When my screen says "Acquiring signal" and it's stepping through the transponders I have only 2 options. I can wait until that sequence completes (which takes several minutes) until I get the "Signal lost" message that allows other options (menu, recall, up/down arrows). Or I can simply switch the receiver to standby, then press "Select" and as soon as it comes back on, press "Guide" which will allow me to select a channel from a different sat. location. But during the acquiring signal phase the only other thing I can do is select the "Help" option, which is not really any help, i.e., doesn't get me to programming.

I have LOS issues to 129 so I have a lot of experience with the above with most of my HD channels, and perhaps the only reason option 2 works for me is that I have 2 other sats. that are providing strong signals, so YMMV. But you might want to try that to see if you can get out of the Acquiring signal screen.

There are a few reported cases in these threads of bad separators which you can certainly diagnose yourself, but that's not a likely problem. Sounds to me more like you have a marginal signal (like I do with 129) that the receiver can't resolve reliably...

Just checked and found that Satellite 129 is getting a signal of 46-47. I went out and trimmed some nearby shrubs and got it up to a stable 48.

Do these signal strength readings reinforce what you are saying??

Just checked and found that Satellite 129 is getting a signal of 46-47. I went out and trimmed some nearby shrubs and got it up to a stable 48.

Do these signal strength readings reinforce what you are saying??

Those readings are about average for 129. I don't think the problem is with the dish nor the receiver, I think the problem is with the cable or the connectors. Check and double check the connectors make sure they're properly terminated. Is the cable rated to at least 2100 Mhz?

Agreed, your 129 signal strengths are fine. I rarely get that level even on a good day! (I'm more like 15 - 25 lately.)

The cable might give a frequency rating on the jacket. Look for 3GHz or 3000MHz somewhere.

Like bhelms said, look for the frequency rating on the jacket. It needs to be at least 2100 Mhz but it could go to 3Ghz. Is this a new installation? If it is, you should call and have them come back and check the installation.

I just took a look at the length of cable near the receiver. You can tell that there was writing there but most of it must have been scrapped off when it was pull through the inside wall of the house.

I'll get up into the attic in the morning when its cooler to see if I can read it there.

No...but I don't see how that would make a difference.

Once I disconnect/connect the coax to the seperator, the satellites tune. If it was the checkswitch, it wouldn't....would it?

I may have solved the problem.

I moved the power cable from going directly into the wall outlet to one of the outlets on my Panamax voltage regulated power supply.

I think what was happening is when I would switch off my system, two fairly large Rotel amplifiers shutting off at the same would cause some kind of voltage change that would scramble the 722.

At least for now, 6 days later, it hasn't acted up. I don't recall going more than 3 days and often everyday without having to detach/reattach the satellite feed to get it going again.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Now, to figure out a way to raise my OTA antenna 10 more feet. (35 feet total) :eek:

I have a problem that every few days, when I turn on the VIP 722, I get the screen about acquiring signal and it goes through the transponders and doesn't read anything . . .
Me too and . . . mine is also dropping 129 constantly (are they working on it?) and my 722 tries to reacquire the signal using 129, starting with Trans 0, and can't. The other day it took well over 45 minutes on a clear day. And a lot of OTA dropping, when the signal is in the 70's. My 722 has been a pain since L6.27. I never had this many issues before.

And per recommendations I have mine plugged into the wall and have 6 Adcom GFA-1A's that all switch off at the same time and I see no difference from when I watch without them. Every so often they only affect the UPS on the main computer when turning on.

Last edited:
I think two different things are going on.

Yes, I think they're screwing with 129. If when you loose signal during the day after you've already had your amps and everything on for a while, go to menu/program guide/ and find another channel that's not on 129. Since they're not labeled, its a bit of trial and error.

If your 722 is searching for the satellite when you first turn your system on, then its possible that its the same thing I described in my post number 13. I too have my amps plugged directly into the wall. Something about better dynamics on amps. But move your power cable for your 722 into a voltage regulated power supply. Thats what I did and the problem went away. Its now 7 days without that problem.

I had the same problem with my 625. Got my repair buddy here and he checked the cable and found it bad. Replaced it and no problems after that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)