Lost Signal

gwdave

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2011
CT
OK Folks, I lost signal today during a heavy rain, however I could change channels and pick channels. My thought is that maybe I was losing a signal off one satellite while changing channels switched me to another satellite..... This has not happened before so I am wondering if I need to have a tech come out, and do his thing on the roof...... I have lost signal before however during a heavy wet snow storm I looked on the roof, and snow was on the edge of the dish, as soon as it melted all came back........ I have what I would guess is a 1000 series it says HD Pro on the dish. I have a 500, and aiming it shows me that the one on the roof is pointed to different sats......

Try a reboot (hold power button for 5 seconds) and/or power cord reboot (pull plug for 15 seconds plug back in.)

Also, does MENU - 6 - 1 - 3 return a "Good" result?

I checked 6,1,3, I waited for the signal to show, it shows 61.5, 72, and 77 in the green. However I went to aim dish, and it shows a 55 percent on that scale.... Does that mean that the dish is off??????

55 signal on the eastern arc is about normal.. The dish sees 3 satellites. So it is possible to loose one while still being able to see the others. So when changing channels some may work while others don't.

Also some transponders are stronger than others..Meaning that in storms you may lose a few channels and not all of them.Typically the spotbeam transponders on the fringe of reception are the first to lose signal.

Eastern arc sats are all going to be lower in the 50 - 60 range. Western arc sats are usually in the 60 - 70 range, sometimes 80. Remember that anything over 50 is supposed to be sufficient to NOT lose picture in light to regular rains. Hard gully washers will result in rain fade on either arc , no matter what strength you get, unless you get a larger dish for each satellite. I use my ota tuners for my 722k for my news and weather and I do not lose my picture on those, but the satellite channels will go. IF you switch to ota as soon as you notice the rain getting thick, you can avoid having the sat receiver locking up and losing picture.