Lost the 'right' channel

davismh

Original poster
Dec 2, 2004
I've been using TTR for quite a while now and TT before that. I have had good success with the system and all has operated fairly well. However, today, I lost the right channel (or the gain is very low compared to the left channel). I've tried changing the cable (right to left) to no avail. I"m using a gateway desktop with a the factory sound card, XP Home SP2, running TTR 1.60. This set up has been working fine for months and I changed nothing. Any ideas? Regards, Mike

Have you been able to determine if you are getting the signal from the receiver?

If you haven't, try this:

Begin by starting up Recast as usual without changing any connections from when it was previously working with no problem.

Once it is loaded up and tune to a station that plays music consistently.

If you are only getting music from one speaker or one of the speakers is much louder than the other, switch the audio connector cable where it plugs into the receiever. There should be a red RCA plug and a white one.

Switch the red and white and then determine what's happened. If the speakers have switched roles (the silent one now plays music) then most likely there is something going on with your tuner. If the roles do not change then it could be any number of issues.

Let us know the results of this test and we'll take it from there.

David K.
Time Trax

I have switched the leads red to red and red to white. Whichever lead is connected to the "R" output on the radio has significantly diminished level. I got a mini/mini plug cable and plugged my ipod into the line in and both channels work fine that way. Itunes plays music fine through both channels. Mike

I would say that all signs point to a receiver issue. If you purchased it from us I can check out your warranty situation and we can arrange to replace it for you. Send me your email or order number or customer number or go ahead and submit a support ticket (using category RMA) and our return/testing group will help you get the radio back to us, test it and either fix it/have it fixed or replace it for you.

This is all dependent of course on what product(s) you purchased from us vs. elsewhere but we'll help you work through it.

David K.
Time Trax

Thanks. I am working with Derek on a ticket and have come to a resolution. Regards, MHD

I lost both channels

I lost all my audio out...using an XM direct. I know its out of warranty (over a year old and I did a mod to the case for external power...). I have definitely figured out it is a receiver problem, not a computer issue or cable problem. The XM direct comes on and displays channel info, but nothing from audio outs.

I figure I am going to have to buy a new one, but it sucks because the timetrax site says "we cannot allow you to transfer your license". I hate to pay $44 for software that I already paid for. Is there any way XM can transfer a serial number? In other words if I cancel my old unit, can XM send out some sort of signal so my new unit's serial number is "reprogrammed" to the old unit?
I dont think it would be possible, but I read something a while back on xmfan.com that seemed to mention something along those lines.

If I send my old unit to timetrax, I wonder if they will let me buy a new XM direct without buying the software again....after all, they would have the proof that I indeed am not using the software with two different radios.

Hi,

If you check the update on your support ticket you will see that we have an offer for you.

Derek

theosus said:
I lost all my audio out...using an XM direct. I know its out of warranty (over a year old and I did a mod to the case for external power...). I have definitely figured out it is a receiver problem, not a computer issue or cable problem. The XM direct comes on and displays channel info, but nothing from audio outs.

I figure I am going to have to buy a new one, but it sucks because the timetrax site says "we cannot allow you to transfer your license". I hate to pay $44 for software that I already paid for. Is there any way XM can transfer a serial number? In other words if I cancel my old unit, can XM send out some sort of signal so my new unit's serial number is "reprogrammed" to the old unit?
I dont think it would be possible, but I read something a while back on xmfan.com that seemed to mention something along those lines.

If I send my old unit to timetrax, I wonder if they will let me buy a new XM direct without buying the software again....after all, they would have the proof that I indeed am not using the software with two different radios.

Derek,
I haven't heard anything from Harry or anyone else since you responded to the ticket last week.
Mike

sounds good....

dserianni said:
Hi,

If you check the update on your support ticket you will see that we have an offer for you.

Derek

Derek...

I just checked my e-mail. The offer sounds good, I will take care of it in the morning.

I am wondering something...for all you techies out there...I just installed "TeamSpeak" to use with Flight Simulator. I have SoundMax built-in audio, and usually leave the XM radio plugged into "line in" all the time. I just started using my headset with a microphone, and had selected the "microphone" with "microphone boost"...
I know from my electronics days there are two types of microphones, ones that require external power and ones that do not. I wonder if my SoundMax card sent external power back up the wires to my XM Direct's Audio Out???
Just curious, because it is the only change I made between my radio working okay, and being dead.

davismh said:
Derek,
I haven't heard anything from Harry or anyone else since you responded to the ticket last week.
Mike

Hi Mike,

The ticket is currently with Harry who is away from the office for a while.

I will see that it gets redirected to Andrew who will take care of you.

Sorry about the delay.

D.

David, Derek,
I still have heard nothing from 'sales'. Thanks for your help. Mike

theosus said:
Derek...

I just checked my e-mail. The offer sounds good, I will take care of it in the morning.

I am wondering something...for all you techies out there...I just installed "TeamSpeak" to use with Flight Simulator. I have SoundMax built-in audio, and usually leave the XM radio plugged into "line in" all the time. I just started using my headset with a microphone, and had selected the "microphone" with "microphone boost"...
I know from my electronics days there are two types of microphones, ones that require external power and ones that do not. I wonder if my SoundMax card sent external power back up the wires to my XM Direct's Audio Out???
Just curious, because it is the only change I made between my radio working okay, and being dead.

In general, computer sound cards don't support mics that require "phantom" power. I'm not even sure that there are pro sound cards that supply phantom power to mics. Your sound card didn't damage the XM Direct, unless there was a power surge, which probably would have taken out the sound card too (at the very least).

good to know

thank you, src666....
That is good to know. I was worried about maybe messing up another unit. My sound card is fine.

Derek or David,
On 21 March, we derived that my radio was bad and y'all made a reasonable proposal for returning my radio and getting a new one. As of today, Andrew contacted me Thursday, April 6 and asked some questions. I responded within 10 minutes via the online help function of your site in the appropriate help ticket area. Since then, I have heard nothing. I still have not received an RMA or any instructions about returning the radio or getting another one. I think it's within reason that I should have had some resolution on this matter given the timeframes involved. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Mike

I'm going to walk over to Andrew's desk right now to get things straightened out and moing along for you.

Sorry for the delay.

David K.
Time Trax

must be on vacation

I too had the same problem......... I returned my radio with a reasonable proposal to order a new one from them. I placed my order and asked for a response, but have heard nothing. I am beginning to wonder if timetrax is on spring break this week.
I think next time I would have just bought a new radio from circuit city.... and downloaded a new license.
I know I would have had to pay again for the license, but at least if there are hardware problems, Circuit City has a PHONE NUMBER you can call.
I understand the need for support tickets, but after you have one you should be able to give the company a phone call.

I am available all day tomorrow at 877-519-5487. If this has happened to you, I will make it right. I apologize.

David K.
Time Trax

David,
I called the number and you were out. I left my cell phone with Andrew and asked that you call me. Please do. Thanks, Mike

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)