Lost WCBS Significantly Viewed channel in CT

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Chuck W

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 31, 2004
I am in New Milford and had been receiving WCBS(channel 2) as a significantly viewed channel for quite some time. I just noticed today, that is is gone. I called Directv and they had a note saying that it is no longer available to the Hartford/New Haven area viewers. The CS rep gave me a reason that the local(WFSB) must have complained and thus that is why they took it off. I completely doubt that is the case because that is what the SV rules were supposed to address and allow for.

I'm guessing the contract may not have been renewed, but I'm definitely PO'd about it.

I am in New Milford and had been receiving WCBS(channel 2) as a significantly viewed channel for quite some time. I just noticed today, that is is gone. I called Directv and they had a note saying that it is no longer available to the Hartford/New Haven area viewers. The CS rep gave me a reason that the local(WFSB) must have complained and thus that is why they took it off. I completely doubt that is the case because that is what the SV rules were supposed to address and allow for.

I'm guessing the contract may not have been renewed, but I'm definitely PO'd about it.

I noticed myself the other day and was wondering why. About the only time I watch it is for the Sunday CBS football game if it is different than the one on WFSB.

I received a post card from D* a few weeks ago saying that WCBS would be turned off in the Hartford / New Haven DMA starting 11/7. Don't know why though.

Consider yourself lucky, there are very few areas that have any "Significantly Viewed " channels available to them, not sure why that is, but I know of several SV channels I would LOVE to have.

Jimbo

I would bet the answer is really close to the above; a ton of BS floating around about if they legally can or can't do something/anything when it involves affiliates, DMAs and cable cos, be ready for some drawn-out crap slinging that never takes into account what the end users want.

If you can still get an HD CBS affiliate (WFSB) then you can still get the programming shows of CBS. I doubt DirecTV would block an Connecticut subscriber from that. WCBS is a New York City affiliate.

If the local cable company can offer WCBS then DirecTV should certainly be able to, they are content providers or carriers so the DMA markets shuld be the same for all carriers (DirecTV, Dish Net, Comcast, or whoever).

If you can still get an HD CBS affiliate (WFSB) then you can still get the programming shows of CBS. I doubt DirecTV would block an Connecticut subscriber from that. WCBS is a New York City affiliate.

If the local cable company can offer WCBS then DirecTV should certainly be able to, they are content providers or carriers so the DMA markets shuld be the same for all carriers (DirecTV, Dish Net, Comcast, or whoever).

Cable gets to play by entirely different rules than the satellite companies.

Cable gets to play by entirely different rules than the satellite companies.

Thanks for the info, but it shouldn't matter who provides the service. I am a little concerned about the favoritism that cable tv providers get, I don't think it is enforceable, and I cannot fathom the FCC playing political favorites. They (FCC will crash and burn with the right inquiry from the public).

Yep, same here. Good to see things change for the better... for a change :)

I'm also happy to have WCBS channel 2 out of New York on DirecTV back in the Oakville, CT area. The contract with CBS must have been negotiated and renewed.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)