Lost West Coast Network Feeds

ronstan@verizon.net

Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Queens, NY
I was contacted by Dish and told that I needed to replace my 110/119 dish 500 with a 72/77/61.5. dish 1000.1 if I wanted to keep the same programming. I had that done a couple of weeks ago at the same time that I paid my yearly charge of $2531.76.
I also subscribe to "American Direct" for my distant Nets. A few days ago, I wanted to record the west coast feed of the "Lost" finale. The stations were missing from my guide. I called dish and was told that they have nothing to do with distant nets and to try American Direct. I called them and they found my account and said they were going to send a "hit" which would resolve the problem. Many "hits" later, they asked me to check the signal on 110/119 because thats where the programming was. Of course, that feed had been disconnected by Dish. I called dish back and asked if they would please reconnect my dish 500 which they left on my roof. They refused. They told me to call American Direct. They refused and said that dish disconnected the feed and dish should reconnect, period.
Thats where I am now. I have been a daily reader of this forum since day one but never have had a reason to post until now.
Any advice guys?

You need to install a side sat dish for either 119 or 110 and plug it into the in port of the 1000.4 lnb. This will allow you to get both eastern arc sats and the one sat for either sd or hd locals. Someone local can do it if you are willing to pay.

You would need to run a line from the 500 dish to the new EA dish. The line should be run from the right side (119) of the 500 lnb (when facing it from the pan) to the open input on the EA lnb. Run a check switch and you should be back in business.

Note that you can generally detach the LNB and recable it without disturbing the dish alignment.

You did not say if you have the HD or SD distant nets.
HD is on 110 and SD is on 119 you will only be able to choose one of the two, either 110 or 119 not both.

I'll hazard a guess since he just upgraded from a D500 he had the SD feeds

Not necessarily. He did have the Dish 500 but here (if you check the list) the HD channels are on 110. The SD channels are on 119.

The OP should be able to get one of those satellites back.

To the OP: Did they disconnect the old dish all the way? Maybe they left the old dish, LNB's and wires. That would make what you want easier to get back.

Not necessarily. He did have the Dish 500 but here (if you check the list) the HD channels are on 110. The SD channels are on 119.

I think Iceberg was thinking was that if the OP had HD, he would have had 129 already installed in order to get the HD channels. Since he only had a Dish500, then he likely only had the SD distant channels.

Of course, there could be exceptions, but that is what is most likely.

If you read the OP, it says they upgraded him to an EA dish. (that means he has mpeg 4 receivers)he said it was to get all his programing. my guess is that he had 110/119/61.5 HD

In my book this is DISH's fault. They should rectify the situation for the OP at no charge. I'd personally raise holy hell with them. Unless of course they advised him before the upgrade that he'd lose his distant net service from AAD.

Thanks for all your replies. To answer your questions, I was receiving the west coast feeds in HD. When Dish came to switch out my 500 for the 1000.1, I asked if anything would change. I DID tell one of them about American Direct, but he had never heard of it. I was told the switch would enable me to get more programming.

To get to my roof, the installers had to gain access to my neighbors alley between our houses. They were out of town and have a low locked gate. I asked the installer to please acces my roof from the front of my house, which is a second choice (easier, in my opinion)

They finished quickly and checked the reception. All seemed fine. When my neighbor got back, he called and asked me to come over. His fence was destroyed with pieces of wood lying on the ground. I offered to pay for a replacement. He accepted $100 and said he would repair it himself.

I located an independent satellite installer who said he would reconnect the dish 500 for $300. Can anyone tell me if this is a fair price? Remember, I live in NYC and everything is overpriced.

Thanks again,
Ron

$300 ? Hah !! That guy is a crook !

How well can you see the front of the dish ? I'm curious if the tech removed the LNB from your "old" dish.

I located an independent satellite installer who said he would reconnect the dish 500 for $300. Can anyone tell me if this is a fair price? Remember, I live in NYC and everything is overpriced.

damn I'm getting screwed then when I do dish installs for friends/family ;)
If I get $50 I'm lucky

When Dish came to switch out my 500 for the 1000.1, I asked if anything would change. I DID tell one of them about American Direct, but he had never heard of it. I was told the switch would enable me to get more programming.

Thanks again,
Ron

Your new dish in Queens is the 1000.4 dish.

Did the installers take away the old dish, lnb's and is there an extra wire that does not seem to be attached to anything? You might be able to do that yourself.

But it is being said AAD might go away soon anyway so this may all be for nothing.

Unless the customer says he has distants when the tech was there how is this Dish's fault?

If the guy is in Queens, New York City, you can hardly blame Dish or the installer for not expecting to hook up a dish for "distant networks for people who have no local channels".

;) ;) ;)

PS And I agree that OP should wait a week or two to see if there is more info on whether AAD will be terminating service or not. OP can read the "STELA" thread.

PPS By OP making his userid his email address, he has made sure that every spammer in the world gets his email address...

A question for Ron

Thanks for all your replies. To answer your questions, I was receiving the west coast feeds in HD. When Dish came to switch out my 500 for the 1000.1, I asked if anything would change. I DID tell one of them about American Direct, but he had never heard of it. I was told the switch would enable me to get more programming.

To get to my roof, the installers had to gain access to my neighbors alley between our houses. They were out of town and have a low locked gate. I asked the installer to please acces my roof from the front of my house, which is a second choice (easier, in my opinion)

They finished quickly and checked the reception. All seemed fine. When my neighbor got back, he called and asked me to come over. His fence was destroyed with pieces of wood lying on the ground. I offered to pay for a replacement. He accepted $100 and said he would repair it himself.

Thanks again,
Ron

Ron, how did you get your distant network feeds through AAD? Are you grandfathered or can't get local channels over-the-air?

Ron, how did you get your distant network feeds through AAD? Are you grandfathered or can't get local channels over-the-air?

Probably not a good question to ask... ;) ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts