Lots of "Event Stopped by STB reboot"

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
hate to bump ... but will also probably start another thread.. Started having this yesterday. It started shortly after I set up recording timers for PPV movies. I had 6 PPV certificates that were expiring. I set up recording timers, about an hour into the first dual recording I noticed the lights on my 722k had gone from normal (all on, since I was in dual mode, and recording) to just one green LED .... thought maybe the first set of recordings were done .. then the recording light came on.. and so I thought perhaps the next one began (I had 6 movies to record in less than 12 hours)

Then while my back was turned .. and the whole time my TV has been turned off ... I looked back and the LED's on the front had cleared again, with just one green showing. At this time I turned ON the TV and saw what I'd feared.. "acquiring signal". While I was standing there... the PPV movie started to play .. and then suddenly I was given a popup for HDCP. I selected OK, and turned off the TV .. the problems repeated again, but ONLY during the PPV movies... as soon as I was watching something, it seems the problems stopped.

I've a replacement 722k on the way ... don't have the OTA and am on L682 for firmware which came out 1/21/2011 ... the newest firmware is L683 and it came out 4/20/2011 and I've still not seen it come into either of my 722k's.

Temp shouldn't be an issue, my 722k is sitting on a shelf, nothing above (ie. on top) one side is within 6 inches of my tv, the other side has nothing within 2 feet. None the less, HDD temp shows AVG 120 (max 138 / min 100)

hate to bump ... but will also probably start another thread.. Started having this yesterday. It started shortly after I set up recording timers for PPV movies. I had 6 PPV certificates that were expiring. I set up recording timers, about an hour into the first dual recording I noticed the lights on my 722k had gone from normal (all on, since I was in dual mode, and recording) to just one green LED .... thought maybe the first set of recordings were done .. then the recording light came on.. and so I thought perhaps the next one began (I had 6 movies to record in less than 12 hours)

Then while my back was turned .. and the whole time my TV has been turned off ... I looked back and the LED's on the front had cleared again, with just one green showing. At this time I turned ON the TV and saw what I'd feared.. "acquiring signal". While I was standing there... the PPV movie started to play .. and then suddenly I was given a popup for HDCP. I selected OK, and turned off the TV .. the problems repeated again, but ONLY during the PPV movies... as soon as I was watching something, it seems the problems stopped.

I've a replacement 722k on the way ... don't have the OTA and am on L682 for firmware which came out 1/21/2011 ... the newest firmware is L683 and it came out 4/20/2011 and I've still not seen it come into either of my 722k's.

Temp shouldn't be an issue, my 722k is sitting on a shelf, nothing above (ie. on top) one side is within 6 inches of my tv, the other side has nothing within 2 feet. None the less, HDD temp shows AVG 120 (max 138 / min 100)

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/253494-lost-versus-signal-both-receivers-same.html

Dish had a problem with their sats. It's supposedly fixed now. See that link I posted.

TG2, the resetting should have nothing to do with the signal loss. One thing I have found that could cause it is a power issue. A lot of times, if the receiver is plugged into a surge protector that starts going weak (due to age, they are not immortal) it will cause the receiver to go into a cycle of rebooting when the power dips below a certain threshold. Bypassing the surge protector (or power strip if not a surge protector) should help the problem, if its not too late. I have also seen it be caused by a grounding issue, either on the power itself or via a cable from the dish/switch. The situation you are describing seems more to be power cycling caused by something along those lines.

As far as OTA signal, I have not seen an issue on this at all causing a reboot (unless related to grounding somehow). One thing I have seen is that the DVR will log an "STB Reset" when the box itself is powered off. There was a customer who had the receiver connected to an outlet on a light switch and would shut it off when he would leave, expecting the recordings to happen without power to the receiver. Funny story, but its amazing what prompts the message and the almost instant assumption there is an issue with the receiver itself.

Many times, a replacement will head south very quickly if the grounding/power issue is not addressed. That is the main reason I posted this information here. Hate to see another box bite the dust really quick. Honestly, directly plugged into an outlet, by itself, seems to be the best way to prevent the issue. I have had my DVR 1 1/2 years like this, even with constant power failures (its Denver, and transformers seem to blow religiously), and the box still works like a champ. No sluggish guide issue, or other "bugs" that have been reported, either.

Last edited:
Well the oddity ... is that it *ONLY* occured while trying to record PPV, I had explicitly set PPV recordings around other timers so that I wouldn't loose my normal 7pm to 10pm or so normal recordings.. all with the intent of watching later... so during the time I wasn't recording the PPV's, but was recording normal locals (not ota) nothing went wrong.. but sure as sh*tin' as soon as the dual PPV recording started again later .. the problem started up again ... and then when in the room at like 1 ~ 2 ~ 3 am time.. while there was still a recording going on, I was able to watch other DVR'd items while the recordings continued normally without another reboot ... but up to the point I manually turned on the TV and started watching something while the PPV recording was happening, the thing was rebooting constantly.

I've a mind to try this again this after noon/evening ... to see if the problem happens again.. and then swap in the replacement 722 (just arrived today!) and repeat the same thing.. what I suspect, is that given the HDCP message I intermittently saw... and have since confirmed that *ALL* of my Tv's HDMI are HDCP enabled .. that the box doesn't like going straight PPV with HDCP restrictions to drive, without the TV telling it "yeah I'm HDCP complaint" even though just recording shouldn't trigger it.. and HDCP should only be triggered on playback..

And if this repeats with both receivers *only* on PPV .. then I'm going to have another bitch session at DISH that will go no where, but back to the claims that its got to be *my* wiring .. even though plugged in through a UPS that has had *no* alarms while this problem occured, and this is the only device plugged into it.. and grounding through a UPS is the same as the wall plug .. ground can not be interrupted ... by law (can't be fused, can't be 'switched') ... the only potential is ground break.. and the UPS would have detected that with SiteFault ... and it doesn't nor does the outlet detector I used to test at the wall, and on the UPS.

Its like the usual dish mantra ... can't be us, cant be our faulty firmware... until "oops it was us" happens ... and when I say dish that way... I really mean dish / echostar ... since I don't believe dish actually has firmware programmers on staff.

My 722 started giving me problems about 3 weeks ago.
At first it was just on OTA stations. The programs would record but they would be all pixelated and messed up like there was a storm. But then last friday I was watching Fringe as it was recording the show. It seemed to be a perfect picture, but then when I tried to watch it from the recording it was all messed up again.
Then last night I recorded a bunch of shows and they all got interrupted with a reboot about 10 minutes into the shows. Now tonight it has done it to every show that I tried to record.
The over the air shows were completely messed up and one show gave an error code of error 01. The regular satellite recordings were also heavily pixelated. Out of nine shows recorded today, none of them are watchable.
I have tried unplugging it, a manual reset, and forced update. But it seems to be getting worse with all my newly recorded shows. My old recordings are still playing fine.

Guess its time for a replacement.

Well the oddity ... is that it *ONLY* occured while trying to record PPV

As far as the firmware, it is a possibility (always is). It is weird about the PPV issue. I don't have your account info, but if you send it to me, I will send a TPR, and see if we can't track a trending issue to confirm that.

My 722 started giving me problems about 3 weeks ago.
At first it was just on OTA stations. The programs would record but they would be all pixelated and messed up like there was a storm. But then last friday I was watching Fringe as it was recording the show. It seemed to be a perfect picture, but then when I tried to watch it from the recording it was all messed up again.
Then last night I recorded a bunch of shows and they all got interrupted with a reboot about 10 minutes into the shows. Now tonight it has done it to every show that I tried to record.
The over the air shows were completely messed up and one show gave an error code of error 01. The regular satellite recordings were also heavily pixelated. Out of nine shows recorded today, none of them are watchable.
I have tried unplugging it, a manual reset, and forced update. But it seems to be getting worse with all my newly recorded shows. My old recordings are still playing fine.

Guess its time for a replacement.

Is the receiver reaching its capacity, or is there still recording time available. I have noticed your particular issue in boxes running out of space (10 hours or less in HD). PM me the same information (account) and I can help you out.

As far as the firmware, it is a possibility (always is). It is weird about the PPV issue. I don't have your account info, but if you send it to me, I will send a TPR, and see if we can't track a trending issue to confirm that.
Will send you info ... I have the replacement dish.. and tried the exact same thing with two PPV events both of which are HD so figured they would have HDCP bit.... and sure enough.. TV off.. reboot reboot reboot ... and the funny thing is that it doesn't happen right away... one started at say 7:30am, the other at 8 am... and at 8:30 the new/refurb 722k rebooted. then it came up, continued recording got about 18 minutes, then 10 then the one movie was over anyway, and the 2nd still rebooted at least one more time.

I'm waiting to see what happens this coming monday ... because that's typically my big recording night.. Fox & NBC, then ABC & Siffy (you know I feel compelled to explain... I hate it when techs mock microsoft or "winders" etc.. and never do that.. except for one ... and SciFi is my *one* that I do that too ... its like I feel ultimately betrayed by the one station that was really in line with Science Fiction but I can no longer look at them the same way MST3k, Farscape, Stargate U, Eurka, Warehouse 13, with the latter 2 barely getting yanked from the chopping block at the last moment ... and then with the "siffi" change ... scifi has proven they aren't worthy of respect anymore) sorry I digress ... anyway ... I suspect its some weird bug in HDCP from the receiver, that is somehow bypassed when HD content is downloaded by the overlor... er... by Dish ... when they push content but is somehow not triggered the same when a *user* selects to have them recorded.

I know it can't be heat related not on two units one of which was open and under a ceiling fan even at 75 degrees (F not C) and the interior readings never showed higher than 138 (if memory serves), plus that the new one is even more open moved into new TV stand, on a glass shelf, nothing else below it for 12 inches, nothint above it for 12 inches, and the sides are completely open 3 feet or more either side ... and its not power, not four different times, and *only* during HD PPV attempts.. never while I'm watching and TV on, never on the most difficult night (mondays) but only with two measily PPV HD's..

(disappointed, but understanding its technology that someone needs to fix) :)

edit: for the record, mine is (*was*) no where near limit for drive .. lowest its been for space was 25 or so *HD* hours free space so you'd figure that at 50% user capacity... but before attempting the HD PPV's ... I had maybe 10 hours recorded, 40hrs HD available, I had moved a lot of stuff over to the EHD in the past 3 weeks..

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)