Loud Fan, does th 622 ever really "turn off"

toekneeh

Original poster
Jan 6, 2007
The fan runs all night, even though the 622 is turned off. The "press select to continue" screen is also always running. Does the fan ever turn off? I hate listening to this thing all night when I am trying to sleep. I am tempted to unplug this bad boy every night.

It doesn't turn off. Just like every other DVR. If you unplug then nothing that you have scheduled to record during the night will record and the box won't get its scheduled nightly update.

Older E* DVRs did turn off. And it was very nice. My old 7100 used to turn off about 15 minutes after powering down.

My 622 was too loud for me to deal with and so I moved it into the basement, under my HDTV, and ran the cables back up through the floor.

Older E* DVRs did turn off. And it was very nice. My old 7100 used to turn off about 15 minutes after powering down.

My 622 was too loud for me to deal with and so I moved it into the basement, under my HDTV, and ran the cables back up through the floor.

Tom,

Older Dish Network DVR's NEVER Turned off, in fact NO DBS receiver is EVER OFF. Most Dish DVR's spin down the Hard Drive after so much inactivity. I have a 622 and I never ever hear any fan. I currently have or had, 501's, 508's 522's, 625's .

Again your DBS receiver or DVR will use virtually the same amount of electrical current whether on or in Standby mode. The only difference would be after your hard Drive is spun down and you will likely save 5-10 watts of current.

John

If you are hearing the fan run at low speed, more power to you , but it sounds like the fan is running at higher than normal speed. Check your HD temperatures (menu 6,3, counters pg dn 3 times) the average should be 110 +- 5. If it's too high you are killing the unit.

The 622 needs to be in open air and may need a little of external help even then.

I have a low speed electronic component fan sucking the hot air out of the left side of my 622. It is a 29dB fan and I can't hear it from 10 ft away, but it took my temps down more than 10 degrees.

Last edited:
I agree that if you can hear the fan on your 622, it's running too warm. Give it some more room if possible, otherwise invest in other fans to move the air.

I have to put my ear within 12 inches of the 622 in order to hear "something" and even then, I don't know if it's the HDD or the fan.

I agree that if you can hear the fan on your 622, it's running too warm. Give it some more room if possible, otherwise invest in other fans to move the air.

I agree. I can't hear my fan unless go up to the unit and the room is very quiet. Otherwide the only time its loud is whe I do a reboot and thats only for a few seconds it sounds like it "revs" up

I just got my 622s and when the installer first booted it up I thought it was really loud and he said it only did that for a minute. He was right. It only does that when it is spinning up or something and then it is quiet.

I can pretty much hear any kind of whirring noise, they drive me crazy. I couldn't watch movies on a VCR because I could hear the VCR mechanisms pulling the tape through. Even during movies! On three different VCRs. I've had to sound isolate every desktop computer at work that I've ever used.

I tested over a dozen desktop air circulation fans and bought the quiestest one. Then I took it apart and modified it to make it spin a bit slower.

I could hear the drive spinning in my old 7100 and 510 DVRs, from 10' away. And can do the same on my 622. So I moved the 622 into the basement. That works just great. It was either put it in the basement or get rid of it. It's nice and cool down there too, average temp on it now is 105. But when I'm down there, I can hear it.

I agree that DBS receivers don't fully power down. But the earlier models powered down much more of their circuitry than the new ones do. They spun down their drives and turned off so much that the fans didn't have to run. So they were perfectly quiet when off.

Check your HD temperatures (menu 6,3, counters pg dn 3 times) the average should be 110 +- 5. If it's too high you are killing the unit.
Does that still work? I know I've checked that diagnostic within the past few months and it looked like DISH took that feature away. It has been a while since I've checked though, so it is possible it was added back on.

The fan runs all night, even though the 622 is turned off. The "press select to continue" screen is also always running. Does the fan ever turn off? I hate listening to this thing all night when I am trying to sleep. I am tempted to unplug this bad boy every night.
As others have elluded to, are you sure it's the fan you're hearing and not the hard drive? In my 622 ("E" version) the fan has NEVER come on except at reboot when it runs at high speed for about 15 seconds during some kind of power-up test, then it stops completely. I know this because I run my unit with the cover off. If it's indeed your fan that's running then either your unit is exceptionally hot or there is something amiss with your fan's drive circuitry. Either situation warrants some investigation. If it's not the fan, the only thing left is the HDD. The sound from that unit is very minimal, like a desktop computer. If yours is any louder than that, you might have a defective drive, perhaps one that is imminently ready to fail. If the sound is quiet but too much for your bedroom, then consider moving the unit to another room, like Tom Bombadil did. Good luck with it and do report back.

PS - You can look into the air inlets on the right side of the unit to see the fan blades. You might need a flashlight. Is the fan turning?

I can pretty much hear any kind of whirring noise, they drive me crazy. I couldn't watch movies on a VCR because I could hear the VCR mechanisms pulling the tape through. Even during movies! On three different VCRs. I've had to sound isolate every desktop computer at work that I've ever used.

I tested over a dozen desktop air circulation fans and bought the quiestest one. Then I took it apart and modified it to make it spin a bit slower.

I could hear the drive spinning in my old 7100 and 510 DVRs, from 10' away. And can do the same on my 622. So I moved the 622 into the basement. That works just great. It was either put it in the basement or get rid of it. It's nice and cool down there too, average temp on it now is 105. But when I'm down there, I can hear it.

I agree that DBS receivers don't fully power down. But the earlier models powered down much more of their circuitry than the new ones do. They spun down their drives and turned off so much that the fans didn't have to run. So they were perfectly quiet when off.

And I thought I had sensetive ears.:eek:

It's probably the hard drive

I think it's the hard drive, not the fan sorry. On myy old 510 the hard drive would spin down after 5-10 minutes of being off. The 622 doesn't ever seem to spin down. Is that normal?

I'm not sure what the noise it I hear from my 622 but u'd have to be deaf not to notice it. It sits on a glass shelf with at least 5 inches between the next component on top or bottom. Is that susceptible to excess heat?

Between that and the XBox 360, thank God for surround sound or i wouldn't be able to hear myself think. (I'm exaggerating of course...but it is noticeable.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)